SaltyCajun.com http://www.braggingbadges.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 11-18-2015, 08:46 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,103
Hairout Vbay 2015

Well, seems as the persistent weather systems had one goal in mind, to really trash this years fishing. I have had after last nights rain, close to 19.32 inches at the house since Oct 24. Most places that is a years worth of rain.

SO even more disappointment, looks like a ton of east wind coming in the next several days so, seems like any remaining trout will be out of here.

Did find some reds around Burns Point on Sunday made a quick trip, and one trout, it was tough day.

Getting jugs lines ready, as this may be the only fish that like muddy fresh water.

Hope this weather settles, and maybe the fish cooperate!~

Rant over
Old 11-18-2015, 09:14 AM
Ling

Cash: 2,271

Quote:
Originally Posted by yigodiver View Post
Well, seems as the persistent weather systems had one goal in mind, to really trash this years fishing. I have had after last nights rain, close to 19.32 inches at the house since Oct 24. Most places that is a years worth of rain.

SO even more disappointment, looks like a ton of east wind coming in the next several days so, seems like any remaining trout will be out of here.

Did find some reds around Burns Point on Sunday made a quick trip, and one trout, it was tough day.

Getting jugs lines ready, as this may be the only fish that like muddy fresh water.

Hope this weather settles, and maybe the fish cooperate!~

Rant over

yep.. pretty crappy. We just got a new boat and we were only able to fish out of it 5 times.. We did put over 400 trout on the deck though, so at least we know she works lol

wind sucks though I have off the rest of this week and all of next week. I was hoping the bay would be on. May head to big lake to get some more use out of her. Either that or I will start bass fishing early this year
Old 11-18-2015, 09:37 AM
Trophy Trout

Awesome, seen a pic of your new boat, man you have done well on the trout. Only have made one trip in the bay this fall, wife and I and we limited. I have done well on reds, I like catching them more, and I am thinking to get back to bass fishing too. I will have to learn the area here, and where to safely go without tearing stuff up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeff31787 View Post
yep.. pretty crappy. We just got a new boat and we were only able to fish out of it 5 times.. We did put over 400 trout on the deck though, so at least we know she works lol

wind sucks though I have off the rest of this week and all of next week. I was hoping the bay would be on. May head to big lake to get some more use out of her. Either that or I will start bass fishing early this year
Old 11-18-2015, 09:50 AM
Ling

I've always wondered where do all those trout go when the water turns like it has done the past week. Maybe someone with some knowledge can chime in. There were tens of thousands of trout located anywhere from the hammock, cove, to weeks bay and once the water muddied up, they have seemingly disappeared. We've fish some clear pockets with some success, but now there are really only a few pockets of good water if any. Do you think those trout migrate into sharks bayou and surrounding little marsh that they have or do you think they know to make a swim back to the gulf? Are they still around in the muddy water just much harder to catch? If they are still in the muddy water, trout must be extreme sight feeders or much more than bass anyway, because trout are nearly impossible to catch in muddy water. You can still catch a mess of bass in no matter the water color
Old 11-18-2015, 10:58 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,939

Tried that theory last weekend with marginal results. Fished up in the canals with clearer water.

Interested is seeing where they go as well. Would think they head out to towards the gulf and clearer water, but...

I have caught trout in muddy water, also have caught them in fresh water, so i dont know...
Old 11-18-2015, 12:27 PM
Ling

good news is that the bay will have a few days to hopefully clear up before the next front probably re-destroys it
Old 11-18-2015, 03:47 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,668

Quote:
I've always wondered where do all those trout go when the water turns like it has done the past week. Maybe someone with some knowledge can chime in. There were tens of thousands of trout located anywhere from the hammock, cove, to weeks bay and once the water muddied up, they have seemingly disappeared. We've fish some clear pockets with some success, but now there are really only a few pockets of good water if any. Do you think those trout migrate into sharks bayou and surrounding little marsh that they have or do you think they know to make a swim back to the gulf? Are they still around in the muddy water just much harder to catch? If they are still in the muddy water, trout must be extreme sight feeders or much more than bass anyway, because trout are nearly impossible to catch in muddy water. You can still catch a mess of bass in no matter the water color
One year in november a system came throughthe next morning had 20mph North winds, caught 100 or so live shrimp and headed into shark bayou, found a flat that dropped to about 8ft they were sitting right there filled up a 60qt in 2 hours trout and sheepshead.
Old 11-18-2015, 10:21 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 3,710

best thing we can do is tag the trout we catch then wait for thr letter in the mail.

I think this will really show us where the trout go!!! everyone needs to tag a few trout nx time you go out!!
Old 11-19-2015, 10:44 AM
Trophy Trout

I keep looking at long range forecast very anxiously! Seems some good weather on the way, I am headed to OK to shoot at some deer we will see how that works out.

BTW do you know any of the Talleys from Carencro?

Quote:
good news is that the bay will have a few days to hopefully clear up before the next front probably re-destroys it
Old 11-19-2015, 10:46 AM
Ling

Quote:
Originally Posted by yigodiver View Post
I keep looking at long range forecast very anxiously! Seems some good weather on the way, I am headed to OK to shoot at some deer we will see how that works out.

BTW do you know any of the Talleys from Carencro?

Yeah we may get a shot in December. I just moved to Carencro, originally from Opelousas, I don't know any Talleys. I know some Tanners.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-19-2015, 03:36 PM
Ling

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaman View Post
best thing we can do is tag the trout we catch then wait for thr letter in the mail.

I think this will really show us where the trout go!!! everyone needs to tag a few trout nx time you go out!!

that would be a blast! trick for me is to keep them out the ice chest when my dad comes along.
Old 11-19-2015, 10:51 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,939

Quote:
that would be a blast! trick for me is to keep them out the ice chest when my dad comes along.
Ha, my dad too!

I read a study that basically stated that trout have home areas, and do not travel long distances like reds. Meaning, big lake trout would stay around the lake system, same with v bay, dulac etc. they did have a small number of tout that did jump lake systems though.

With this in mind, they cant be too far when the water muddies up. Do they go south to cleaner water? Do they feed heavily before a front and wait out the days for the water to clear?

I am discovering "areas of interest" in open waters of the bay. I am finding reefs not marked on any maps etc. As I get these mapped I will be hitting them to see whats up.
Old 11-20-2015, 05:19 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 2,074

Quote:
I can generally do well the first few days after the water muddies up after a front or a rain but after that I have trouble finding them. If the waters been clear and the salinity high I find that they will stack up at the mouth of a bayou. Especially if that bayou drains protected marsh or lake. They will feed as the tide turns from ebb to flood, I can set my watch by it. I think there are a few reasons for this. Typically, the last portion of the falling tide will be the cleanest, (unless the height of the low tide is not drastically lower that mean sea level). Also the incoming tide will contain the bait in a more concentrated area. If the wind is blowing in the opposite direction of the water coming out of the marsh it essentially does the same thing and have found the bite will be on during the last 1/4 of the falling tide. The secret is finding a drain that has sufficient structure at the mouth of it to attract fish. Just about every bayou on the Northwest side of Marsh Island will have some hard bottom or oyster reef within a 500 yards of it. But if the waters really dirty they will be right in the mouth of the drain. After a few days of dirty water they will be gone, or if they are there I can't catch them. I think salinity doesn't play as much a roll in it this time of year, from what I have read their tolerance for lower saltines is greater in cooler water temps. If they are trying to bulk up for the winter it seems counter intuitive that they would exert the energy to head too far away from the northern part of the estuary. However, it would make since to me that if bait is harder to see that the fish would scatter into smaller groups to hunt for food to lighten the competition. But who knows. The trout in VBay are no doubt experts when it comes to hunting in muddy water. It doesn't take a big rain or front to gum up the works out there. The wind shifting from East to West will cloud it up almost as bad. The conditions change so fast and often out there, its hard to catch them in one area for an extended period of time. The Cove is the exception, but I would rather mow my grass.
Old 11-20-2015, 07:50 AM
Trophy Trout

Good Info, I too agree the trout are in the area, but you mention that they scatter with muddy water, that is a solid theory that I would also agree with. Although I do pay attention to tide, I try to fish them all so when I do have time to go, I can manage fish or two. I have began to learn areas well enough that the wind speed and direction dicates where I will fish. Example, last week with that east wind, it was Burns Point, have learned that place well enough, we put several reds in the boat and even a trout, water was beautiful, but not mush salt.
BTW the MW areas of Marsh Island, you mention, happens to be where I spend many hours of my time on the water.

If we were to compare Dulac to VBAY, there is many more protected estuarys that will keep the salt and clean water. We have tons of fresh from the ICW and other rivers that push the water down and blows into they bay as we all know.

If no more storms roll through like we have been having, I predict Dec will be good, last year in mid Dec I filled my freezer, and not many others were fishing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marque View Post
I can generally do well the first few days after the water muddies up after a front or a rain but after that I have trouble finding them. If the waters been clear and the salinity high I find that they will stack up at the mouth of a bayou. Especially if that bayou drains protected marsh or lake. They will feed as the tide turns from ebb to flood, I can set my watch by it. I think there are a few reasons for this. Typically, the last portion of the falling tide will be the cleanest, (unless the height of the low tide is not drastically lower that mean sea level). Also the incoming tide will contain the bait in a more concentrated area. If the wind is blowing in the opposite direction of the water coming out of the marsh it essentially does the same thing and have found the bite will be on during the last 1/4 of the falling tide. The secret is finding a drain that has sufficient structure at the mouth of it to attract fish. Just about every bayou on the Northwest side of Marsh Island will have some hard bottom or oyster reef within a 500 yards of it. But if the waters really dirty they will be right in the mouth of the drain. After a few days of dirty water they will be gone, or if they are there I can't catch them. I think salinity doesn't play as much a roll in it this time of year, from what I have read their tolerance for lower saltines is greater in cooler water temps. If they are trying to bulk up for the winter it seems counter intuitive that they would exert the energy to head too far away from the northern part of the estuary. However, it would make since to me that if bait is harder to see that the fish would scatter into smaller groups to hunt for food to lighten the competition. But who knows. The trout in VBay are no doubt experts when it comes to hunting in muddy water. It doesn't take a big rain or front to gum up the works out there. The wind shifting from East to West will cloud it up almost as bad. The conditions change so fast and often out there, its hard to catch them in one area for an extended period of time. The Cove is the exception, but I would rather mow my grass.