SaltyCajun.com http://www.lyonsagency.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 11-20-2015, 09:01 AM
Sand Trout

Cash: 19
Default Burnt out

I don't know if any of y'all watched channel 4 news .but my best friend Bryan Smith and his wife and 3 kids lost there home to a fire. They lost everything they had.well a bunch of friends and people we don't even know has been giving donations to help out the family.but as I sit here in the deer stand I can't help but feel bad because Bryan lost all his guns ammo and camo.does anyone know of a place that might be willing to help and maybe donate some new hunting stuff to Bryan so he can have a chance to hunt this year.it sucks to see a good hard working person lose everything they have worked for all there life.for any donations you can message me on here our text Edward bigner at 985-507-2245 thanks guys and gals in advance I know when a hunting community pulls together we can make things as normal as possible for a family that lost everything right before the holidays.

Sent from my LGL39C using Tapatalk
Old 11-20-2015, 09:22 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 4,452

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandboutdoors View Post
I don't know if any of y'all watched channel 4 news .but my best friend Bryan Smith and his wife and 3 kids lost there home to a fire. They lost everything they had.well a bunch of friends and people we don't even know has been giving donations to help out the family.but as I sit here in the deer stand I can't help but feel bad because Bryan lost all his guns ammo and camo.does anyone know of a place that might be willing to help and maybe donate some new hunting stuff to Bryan so he can have a chance to hunt this year.it sucks to see a good hard working person lose everything they have worked for all there life.for any donations you can message me on here our text Edward bigner at 985-507-2245 thanks guys and gals in advance I know when a hunting community pulls together we can make things as normal as possible for a family that lost everything right before the holidays.

His and his wife and 3 kids or his fiance and her three kids?

It may not be a big deal, but when some facts might be misrepresented by a new poster to the forum, it might be prudent to do some digging to determine whether or not someone is taking advantage of a household's misfortune to pull some kind of scam.

What verifiable information can be provided to assure potential donors that this is not a scam?

What kinds of hunting does Bryan like to do? I'm sure the generous folks of Louisiana can get Bryan back in busines before the 2016 hunting season, but if he's really committed to that woman and her children, I expect he has more important things to do right now than get hunting gear together and head to the woods/marsh.
Old 11-20-2015, 09:33 AM
Sand Trout

They have been getting clothes and some supplies. Your right hunting is on back burner for right now I'm just saying I feel bad because poor guy waited all year to hunt and lost everything.you can go to wwl .com for more info they have story on web site and a go fund me account set up for them any help is need and welcomed. If you go to wwl.channel 4 news you can find story.not a scam I promise.

Old 11-20-2015, 09:37 AM
Sand Trout

They were in the process of buying home rent to own so now there hands are tied waiting on the owners Inc.to do there thing Bryan and his oldest daughter kelsea has been staying with me since the fire. His fiancee and 1yr old son and 2yr old daughter is staying with her family.

Old 11-20-2015, 09:40 AM
Sand Trout

For any donations you can also contact Sarah his fiancee 985-634-7772 thanks

Old 11-20-2015, 09:52 AM
Sand Trout

Old 11-20-2015, 10:43 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 5,633

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathGeek View Post
His and his wife and 3 kids or his fiance and her three kids?

am I missing something here, or is mathgeek being a douchebag? what difference does it make to you if it is his kids or her kids, just cause he wasn't the donor does not mean that he can't be the father, you know how many step dads out there that are more of a man that the childs real father, i agree everyone should check that something is legit before they make any donations to anything, but don't say some stupid $h!## like you said in the first sentence
Old 11-20-2015, 11:01 AM
Sand Trout

It's all good I know what he was trying to say he just worded it wrong. And it is his kids there just not married yet they were playing a weeding in Jan.but now that's on hold to.

Old 11-20-2015, 11:05 AM
Sand Trout

But let's all remember the family needs help all they can get. So contact me with any donations.985-507-2245 thanks. They could use all house hold items all the way up to forks and spoons and dishes are any appliances.

Old 11-20-2015, 11:07 AM
Sand Trout

We are located in loranger la.if you want to send anything by mail message me for there address.

Old 11-20-2015, 11:12 AM
Sand Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishfighter View Post
am I missing something here, or is mathgeek being a douchebag? what difference does it make to you if it is his kids or her kids, just cause he wasn't the donor does not mean that he can't be the father, you know how many step dads out there that are more of a man that the childs real father, i agree everyone should check that something is legit before they make any donations to anything, but don't say some stupid $h!## like you said in the first sentence
Thanks for that that guy needs to think before he post.LOL people always think that someone is trying to scam someone that's why when people need help they don't get it.

Old 11-20-2015, 12:11 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 4,452

It is a common operating procedure for scam artists to claim to be married when they are not married.

Is one a douchebag to suggest that when one finds one misrepresentation of facts, it may be a good idea to be on the lookout for others?

There is nothing wrong with looking for charity. There is nothing wrong with fact checking when weighing whether to give and how much to give.
Old 11-20-2015, 12:24 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 5,633
Default ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathGeek View Post
It is a common operating procedure for scam artists to claim to be married when they are not married.

Is one a douchebag to suggest that when one finds one misrepresentation of facts, it may be a good idea to be on the lookout for others?

There is nothing wrong with looking for charity. There is nothing wrong with fact checking when weighing whether to give and how much to give.

maybe you know them? I don't know, i just know it doesn't matter if the kids are his or not, their home was destroyed, along with their possessions, who fathered the kids should have no bearing on if you should or shouldn't give to them, i don't agree with helping them with hunting or fishing gear cause those aren't necessities, clothes and school supplies and food now that is a different story, i would imagine they have no insurance to help
Old 11-20-2015, 12:35 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 1,003

Most people don't know but if he is a member of NRA his guns are covered up to a certain amount. Might just be 1000 bucks but dats enough for a shotgun and rifle of lesser quality

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
Old 11-20-2015, 12:58 PM
Sand Trout

No they didn't have Inc.the guy they were buying it from did he gets the Inc.money they get nothing.anyway I agree fishing and hunting gear can wait.all I was saying was it sucks that you wait all year to hunt then lose everything when hunting season gets here.that's all I ment by that but they have nothing left so anything helps.I think there good on clothing lots of people have donated clothing Now the need all house hold items.

Old 11-20-2015, 01:00 PM
Sand Trout

And yes I know them Bryan is my best friend and he staying at my house that's why I'm trying to help them that's what friends do.

Old 11-20-2015, 01:01 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,852

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishfighter View Post
maybe you know them? I don't know, i just know it doesn't matter if the kids are his or not, their home was destroyed, along with their possessions, who fathered the kids should have no bearing on if you should or shouldn't give to them, i don't agree with helping them with hunting or fishing gear cause those aren't necessities, clothes and school supplies and food now that is a different story, i would imagine they have no insurance to help
you missed the whole point of his post, as did the rest of you.

the guy is a new member making one of his first posts and is asking for contributions to help a needy family. not saying the guy is on the level or not but posts like this is THE most common form used to collect money under false pretense to rip people off. add to that, the facts he reported were not lining up with the news reports about the family in question so it was and should be a red flag to all of you, a big red flag. mathgeek was simply stating that in his post, trying to caution fellow members to be careful and check this out before sending money or donating items because it could be someone running a scam.

if you guys trust people blindly just because they have a good story then go right ahead and be scammer bait but don't shoot the messenger who warns you when something sounds not right about an add asking for stuff.
Old 11-20-2015, 01:16 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 5,193

Quote:
Originally Posted by keakar View Post
you missed the whole point of his post, as did the rest of you.

the guy is a new member making one of his first posts and is asking for contributions to help a needy family. not saying the guy is on the level or not but posts like this is THE most common form used to collect money under false pretense to rip people off. add to that, the facts he reported were not lining up with the news reports about the family in question so it was and should be a red flag to all of you, a big red flag. mathgeek was simply stating that in his post, trying to caution fellow members to be careful and check this out before sending money or donating items because it could be someone running a scam.

if you guys trust people blindly just because they have a good story then go right ahead and be scammer bait but don't shoot the messenger who warns you when something sounds not right about an add asking for stuff.
Yep. Well said.
Old 11-20-2015, 01:24 PM
Sand Trout

No I agree 100% on what your saying.I'm just trying to help a friend not start an argument on here.if you believe me then I'll gladly give you my address and let you meet the family personally and bring you to see the burnt house I have nothing to gain from this just trying to help them.so like I said we can sit here and talk about scams all day but that's not helping my friends. If you need proof it not a scam call me.that was my wife on the news with Sarah her name is Heidi bigner.go to wwl channel 4 news watch the story and then come to my house and meet her if you want 24204 redbird ln loranger la 70446. I know I'm new to this site but I figured it would help to get word out all over thanks .

Old 11-20-2015, 01:36 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,354

Guess I'm missing something...I don't see where the guy asked to send him any money...He stated an account was set up for that...It's on the wwl website in northshore news...Don't know him don't know if he's a scammer or not...

Bryan's co-workers and friends have set up an account at Whitney Bank, titled "Bryan Smith Benefit Account." Any Whitney branch can accept deposits.

A GoFundMe account has also been started to help the family. Here's the link: http://m.gofund.me/vzast6y4?rcid=4ea...6a5e9687384fd4