SaltyCajun.com http://www.ccastar.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 02-18-2013, 09:57 PM
Ling

Cash: 4,258
Default Satellite Internet

Anyone know whats the best in satellite Internet? Im looking for my office at my shop. I am currently using a my fi box,and It aint cutting it. I mainly use the internet to run my credit cards through my ipad. May use it to check occasional emails and such,but not a whole lot of usage. Looking for something better than I got,but dont wanna pay a huge fee for a package that I dont use. Any thoughts? Thanks
Old 02-18-2013, 10:35 PM
Flounder

Cash: 993

We use Roam Pay to run credit cards on my iPhone using Starband satellite for internet but its not that great cost $69 a month have friends that use Hughsnet they seem to like it but don't know what it cost
Old 02-18-2013, 10:50 PM
Ling

I am using the square reader on my ipad. Its a great app. Im am currently using true connect mi fi box. Its a neat idea,because you only pay for what internet you use. Just dont get that great of 3g coverage in the building Im in. Not sure if I could rig up some kind of antannae to get a stronger signal.
Old 02-18-2013, 11:03 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,752

Hughes is crap. Check out exede, which is the new Wild Blue. It is fast and cheap

http://www.exede.com/internet-packages-pricing
Old 02-18-2013, 11:29 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,749

I have Hughs and have had issues with it..business based usage is a big hell no...They do have the new system that is out and said to be way way better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-19-2013, 05:57 AM
Flounder

Cash: 667

I have hughesnet only because my only other option is dial up. It cost me $87 a month and is slow. Any website that is secure is super slow too.
Old 02-19-2013, 06:59 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 5,289

Had HughesNet for a few years . Speed was ok ,but way overpriced and customer service sucked .
Old 02-19-2013, 07:52 AM
Flounder

Cash: 993

Wild Blue was the other one have heard good things about them I think it was Hugh's that just launched a new satellite about 6 months ago that was the size of a football field and was supposed to give better service not sure if they have it up and running yet
Old 02-19-2013, 08:02 AM
Great White

Cash: 22,543

you can get a cell phone signal booster for your shop for a couple hundred bucks. My parents just put one in their house. Used to be you couldnt get service in most of the house, now there is full signal 4g everywhere in the house
Old 02-19-2013, 08:48 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,379

Parents were with Wild Blue, they switched to Verizon for home internet. It is 3G right now but my dad was just told that they will be getting LTE soon and it will seriously rival cable Internet. It is by far faster than anything they had with wild blue, they had the fastest available. The 3G they have now is still faster than the satellite Internet they had before. Oh and it's also cheaper with no restrictions.
Old 02-19-2013, 09:06 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 7,266

Quote:
Originally Posted by paublo25 View Post
Parents were with Wild Blue, they switched to Verizon for home internet. It is 3G right now but my dad was just told that they will be getting LTE soon and it will seriously rival cable Internet. It is by far faster than anything they had with wild blue, they had the fastest available. The 3G they have now is still faster than the satellite Internet they had before. Oh and it's also cheaper with no restrictions.
I use Verizon mifi lte right now, and it's unreal how fast it is... My wife runs her phone on it, I do conference calls and surf the net on my PC all at the same time and it's blazin.

Downloaded a CD the other day that was done not long after it started, over 1MB/sec.
Old 02-19-2013, 09:53 AM
Redfish

Cash: 615

If you can get decent cell coverage with any carrier, I would use their portable hotspot over satellite Internet. Overall they seem to have better price and quality.
Old 02-19-2013, 10:06 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 908

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhSoEasy View Post
If you can get decent cell coverage with any carrier, I would use their portable hotspot over satellite Internet. Overall they seem to have better price and quality.
x2, this is what I would do. You can get a cell service extender for a couple hundred bucks and get a hotspot with your cell service. We pay $50 a month for 5GB of data and $10 per GB of overage.
Old 02-19-2013, 08:15 PM
Flounder

Cash: 751

How does this cell service extender work?

I have tmoble and my cell service is extremely spotty in Hackberry and need to be able to answer my phone when down at the camp.
Old 02-19-2013, 10:30 PM
Great White

Cash: 22,543

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texxan1 View Post
How does this cell service extender work?

I have tmoble and my cell service is extremely spotty in Hackberry and need to be able to answer my phone when down at the camp.
I don't think it will make your service better in hackberry if that's what you're asking. I think it just picks up the signal better from outside the building inside.
Old 02-19-2013, 10:34 PM
Ling

I ordered the wilson cell booster today. THey say it should solve the problems. Increases the stregnth of the signal from the tower to the phone and back. Some of the reviews were from people camping in the mountains that went from no bars or service to 2 bars and were able to make calls and text without a hitch. We will see!!