SaltyCajun.com http://www.gator-tail.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hunting, Boating, and General Outdoor Talk > Hunting Discussion

Hunting Discussion Discuss anything related to hunting here!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-31-2009, 11:22 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 1,488
Default New dog!

With all the talk of "hunting dogs" here, wanted to let ya'll know of our new addition to the family. We do a lot of hunting besides bird hunting, and that means deer and hog hunting. I got into the hog hunting scene a few years back and we do all we can to take out as many as we can by the house since they are like plows when they get in the fields. After awhile, they quit coming out to the feeders in the daylight, so we trapped them, then they stopped coming to the trap. I moved to dogs, but after some failed attempts, I never had a good one.

Two years ago, on a hunt w/ some customers to the company lease in west texas, I found the ultimate little dog. It was for the ranch manager and it was a Jagdterrier. I learned a little about these fiesty little dogs, but not enough to satisfy my curiosity. I then met a guy that does hog hunts for money to eliminate them from farms and found out he has them also. Got my name on one when he had a breeding and finally got my hands on a Jagdterrier from awesome German bloodline.

These little dogs were bred in Germany to hunt wild boar, badger, and bear. To say they are bad a$$ is an understatment! They make awesome blood trail dogs and will die protecting their family. If you have a minute, go to youtube and search for Jagdterrier which is also know as the German hunt terrier. He is just a little pup right now, but he is already a handful. Very smart and loves to express his "prey drive". I will post some pics of him soon! By the way, it is pronounced - "Yak-terrier" although it looks like "jag". Most all people in the US pronounce it "jag", but I just call him J.D. - short for Jack Daniels (black lable, brown whiskey).