SaltyCajun.com http://www.gclendingservices.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hobby Forums > Gardening & Farming Forum

Gardening & Farming Forum Use this forum to discuss Gardening and Farming.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-25-2018, 04:33 PM
lil bubba's Avatar
lil bubba lil bubba is offline
Red Snapper
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: southeast , la.
Posts: 1,175
Cash: 1,254
Default Global warming ????

I have noticed the last few years the sooner tomato's are planted the better they make and the longer the growing season ... Last year I started picking from containers April 1 and picked into July in garden ....Last few years tomato's I plant in mid March just don't do as good as the first ones I plant in early Feb...I grow all the eggplant in half barrels I want but nothing in garden...Same with peppers ...Maybe this global warming is for real ???????
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 28467757_1689865457739060_6092285007618356169_n.jpg (91.6 KB, 192 views)
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-25-2018, 11:30 PM
Cappy's Avatar
Cappy Cappy is offline
Red Snapper
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: ST James Parish
Posts: 1,150
Cash: 2,024
Default

We ahd a very hard winter hard freezes snow twice and sadly our nanners and a citrus tree or 2 froze to the ground. Hard to think about warning even though its been warm for a couple weeks when winter is so hard it freezes 10 year old trees. Some times warm sometimes cold and life goes on maybe we can grow nanners every year if it warms or apple trees if it cools off. global warming?? coming of the overdue ice age?? aint gonna worry bout it and try to get by.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-27-2018, 08:20 AM
Smalls Smalls is offline
King Mackeral
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: South Central LA
Posts: 2,822
Cash: 3,898
Default

The earth naturally goes through cycles of warming and cooling.

Maybe it's warming faster than usual, maybe not.

The term "global warming" is a joke. Even "climate change" is a joke, because the climate isn't static. It's always changing. If they want to be accurate, "accelerated climate change" makes more sense, but it doesn't scare people as easily, because it implies the truth--that the climate is always changing, but perhaps humans are having a more pronounced effect on it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-27-2018, 11:01 AM
Feesherman Feesherman is online now
King Mackeral
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Moss Bluff
Posts: 2,654
Cash: 915
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smalls View Post
perhaps humans are having a more pronounced effect on it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk


1 volcanic eruption trumps anything we can do. Not to mention, it's only liberal Americans that are falling for this Al Gore BS. The rest of the world could give two dog turds. But props to old Al for cashing in, wish I would have thought of it first.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-27-2018, 11:11 AM
Smalls Smalls is offline
King Mackeral
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: South Central LA
Posts: 2,822
Cash: 3,898
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feesherman View Post
1 volcanic eruption trumps anything we can do. Not to mention, it's only liberal Americans that are falling for this Al Gore BS. The rest of the world could give two dog turds. But props to old Al for cashing in, wish I would have thought of it first.


The funny thing to me has always been all this push against greenhouse gases and emissions, yet we have concrete and steel jungles covering the planet. People want to blame others for the environment, all while sitting in their cozy high-rise apartments in big cities, acting as if they aren't contributing to the issues.

You can't turn large areas of the planet into largely vegetation-less deserts and think it doesn't affect the climate. There's a reason the leaves start turning later in Central Park than other parts of New York.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-27-2018, 12:34 PM
Matt G's Avatar
Matt G Matt G is offline
Ling
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Judice, LA
Posts: 3,083
Cash: 3,492
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cappy View Post
We ahd a very hard winter hard freezes snow twice and sadly our nanners and a citrus tree or 2 froze to the ground. Hard to think about warning even though its been warm for a couple weeks when winter is so hard it freezes 10 year old trees. Some times warm sometimes cold and life goes on maybe we can grow nanners every year if it warms or apple trees if it cools off. global warming?? coming of the overdue ice age?? aint gonna worry bout it and try to get by.

My little trees took a beating with the freeze. I cut back all of the dead spots and now my trees are little nubs. Only 1 fig and 1 loquat are growing new leaves as of now. I'm uncertain if I should start replacing them or fertilize them and give them a few months to see if they recover. All I know is I need to reevaluate my freeze protection methods. Pipe insulation on the trunks obviously wasn't sufficient. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smalls View Post


The funny thing to me has always been all this push against greenhouse gases and emissions, yet we have concrete and steel jungles covering the planet. People want to blame others for the environment, all while sitting in their cozy high-rise apartments in big cities, acting as if they aren't contributing to the issues.

You can't turn large areas of the planet into largely vegetation-less deserts and think it doesn't affect the climate. There's a reason the leaves start turning later in Central Park than other parts of New York.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

But that doesn't fit the agenda, so get outta here with all that logic!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-28-2018, 03:54 PM
Cappy's Avatar
Cappy Cappy is offline
Red Snapper
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: ST James Parish
Posts: 1,150
Cash: 2,024
Default

The LSU Ag site says dont trim or fertilize yet. Our beloved lemon monster looked dead. This morning it has lots of green shoots and buds and may survive. The Ag center said dont fertilize froze trees let em recover on their own. our naval orange still looks dead but I have a wait and see atitude. Strangely the satsumas look fine all leafed out green and blooming go figure.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-28-2018, 04:15 PM
lil bubba's Avatar
lil bubba lil bubba is offline
Red Snapper
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: southeast , la.
Posts: 1,175
Cash: 1,254
Default

Satsumas take the lower temps.better . I planted grapefruit , satsuma , and naval orange first year I bought my house . All froze that winter . Satsuma came back but only made hollow fruit for 5 years . Cut it down . The other two sprouted back above the graft and were fine . Give them a while longer and if they come back remove any branches that don't sprout back...If they sprout back below the graft cut it down . All you will have is sour fruit.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-28-2018, 04:40 PM
Cappy's Avatar
Cappy Cappy is offline
Red Snapper
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: ST James Parish
Posts: 1,150
Cash: 2,024
Default

yea Buba that goes for any grafted tree anything below the graft wont be the same.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-28-2018, 05:40 PM
lil bubba's Avatar
lil bubba lil bubba is offline
Red Snapper
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: southeast , la.
Posts: 1,175
Cash: 1,254
Default

I just checked my orange tree ...2/3rds is dead ...The rest is leafing out with blossoms . Lemon is leafing out 3/4 with no blossoms yet .
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 03-01-2018, 12:04 AM
Gerald Gerald is offline
Sailfish
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Lake Charles / Moss Bluff
Posts: 4,647
Cash: 4,080
Default

My trees are about the same as everyone described.


I noticed today that my grapefruit and Satsuma have a few flowers starting to open up.


My Orange tree, is only showing growth on the lower 1/4 branches. I am hoping the new growth starts sprouting farther up the tree. This tree is about 9' tall and 8'+ wide.


I will wait a few more week to see how all the plants grow, before doing some trimming off dead branches.


I gave all my fruit trees about 1/2 the normal fertilizer a week ago. I hope I was not too early doing that.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 03-01-2018, 11:37 AM
Matt G's Avatar
Matt G Matt G is offline
Ling
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Judice, LA
Posts: 3,083
Cash: 3,492
Default

Ooops..... I should have read this yesterday. I put about 1/2 to 3/4 lb of fertilizer on each tree last night. One of my Satsuma has some green sprouts coming up off the main trunk a few inches above the graft. Besides that and the ones I mentioned above, everything else is still bare.


On another note, this auger bit made fertilizing a breeze. I knocked out 11 trees in about 20 minutes while holding a beer in the other hand.


Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 03-01-2018, 09:26 PM
Gerald Gerald is offline
Sailfish
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Lake Charles / Moss Bluff
Posts: 4,647
Cash: 4,080
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt G View Post
Ooops..... I should have read this yesterday. I put about 1/2 to 3/4 lb of fertilizer on each tree last night. One of my Satsuma has some green sprouts coming up off the main trunk a few inches above the graft. Besides that and the ones I mentioned above, everything else is still bare.


On another note, this auger bit made fertilizing a breeze. I knocked out 11 trees in about 20 minutes while holding a beer in the other hand.




Using an auger sounds like a good idea. I looked on Amazon and most of them are 1 3/4" diameter..... finally found one that was 1 1/4" [like yours in the picture]. That size sound like it would be a little larger than what would be needed and might do a little root damage.


What was your experience? Any comments?
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 03-01-2018, 10:25 PM
Matt G's Avatar
Matt G Matt G is offline
Ling
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Judice, LA
Posts: 3,083
Cash: 3,492
Default

I think it worked great. It is a bit bigger than what is needed, but overall it worked exactly as I had expected. I drilled the holes to the depths of the threads and didn’t hit any roots.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 03-02-2018, 10:42 AM
Cappy's Avatar
Cappy Cappy is offline
Red Snapper
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: ST James Parish
Posts: 1,150
Cash: 2,024
Default


Thats what I use a home made dibblin stick i sink it then waddle it around and the hole fits 1 lb of 13-13-13

Here's a lil more info on how I do it:
http://cappyandpegody.blogspot.com/2...row-again.html
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:04 PM.



Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - [ARG:3 UNDEFINED], Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vB.Sponsors
vBCredits v1.4 Copyright ©2007 - 2008, PixelFX Studios
SaltyCajun.com logo provided by Bryce Risher

All content, images, designs, and logos are Copyright © 2009-2012,
Salty Cajun, LLC
No unathorized use is permitted
Geo Visitors Map