SaltyCajun.com http://redtunashirtclub.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion

Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion Discuss inshore fishing, tackle, and tactics here!

View Poll Results: Which areas of improvement do you think will most likely result from the meeting?
New fishing regulations will be based in sound science and on published data. 2 3.33%
State regulators will move to better protect essential oyster reef habitat. 9 15.00%
Weir management will improve to open the gates whenever salinity conditions allow. 2 3.33%
Positive steps will be taken by USACE to better prevent and mitigate erosion. 4 6.67%
CCA will stop supporting foolish fishing regulations and focus on essential habitat issues. 2 3.33%
I am not optimistic about any positive outcomes. 49 81.67%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

LMC Marine

Old 07-11-2014, 06:43 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,749

Thats just absurd that they will allow one to be over harvested and one not at all..but I guess that LA politics at its best

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-11-2014, 06:48 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,569

I was reading the 11 and 12 oyster assessments and they both show the la side of Sabine as public oyster fishing grounds???

Old 07-11-2014, 06:50 AM
Calcasieu Extreme Rods

Cash: 13,323

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-TOP View Post
I was reading the 11 and 12 oyster assessments and they both show the la side of Sabine as public oyster fishing grounds???

Didn't they say they had an agreement with TX to not allow harvesting on the lake?
Old 07-11-2014, 07:08 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 4,452

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchief View Post
Didn't they say they had an agreement with TX to not allow harvesting on the lake?
From p. 12-13 of the Beck PhD Thesis (2012):

Sabine Lake: Sabine Lake is located on the Louisiana-Texas border in southwest Louisiana and this area is jointly managed by the LDWF and the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department (TPWD). There has been no recorded oyster harvest in Sabine Lake since 1965 (TPWD 2010). Side-scan sonar data indicates approximately 599 ha of oyster reef is present in the Louisiana portion of Sabine Lake with an estimated stock size of 1,391,246 sacks of oysters, including seed and market oysters (Encos 2008). These reefs have been closed to harvest in the past due to previously high levels of fecal coliform bacteria released from nearby sewage treatment plants. With coliform levels now in acceptable range, the LDWF and the TPWD are considering opening Sabine Lake to public oyster harvest [Patrick Banks (LDWF) and Jerry Mambretti (TPWD), pers. comm.].

See: http://etd.lsu.edu/docs/available/et...BeckThesis.pdf
Old 07-11-2014, 07:12 AM
Calcasieu Extreme Rods

Cash: 13,323

So if we all start taking craps in the lake we can stop the oyster harvest!!!!

Old 07-11-2014, 07:31 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 4,452

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchief View Post
So if we all start taking craps in the lake we can stop the oyster harvest!!!!

Not exactly. Based on a study several years ago DHH shifted to using the river depth at Kinder as a proxy for the fecal coliform counts.

Some of the science is explained here: http://www.seagrantfish.lsu.edu/reso...2012/12-12.htm

It is a crime to discharge sewage withing a certain distance of oyster harvesting areas.

The historical DHH closings based on water depth at Kinder is summarized on p 7-13 of the 2013 oyster stock assessment. See: http://www.wlf.louisiana.gov/sites/d...ent_report.pdf

This stock assessment also contains lots of other useful information.

If for some reason, fecal coliform contamination was suspected from a human point source (unrelated to Kinder water levels), one would have to bring that to the attention of DHH who would then sample and test to determine if closure was needed. I imagine such an event would be investigated thoroughly and those responsible for such point source pollution prosecuted aggressively.

Better to pray for rain to get those Kinder water levels up and also to get the weirs open.
Old 07-15-2014, 12:02 PM
Flounder

Cash: 639

In response to MYSPOT

"If they want to build land behind the weirs put the dredge material there so the marsh can flourish like they want it to."

The lady from the corps of engineers said that the reason they do not do that is because almost all of the dredge material is too light to help build land. The material would just wash away, and it would cost more than any benefit it would provide.