SaltyCajun.com lake Area Marine

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Boating Talk

Boating Talk For discussion of everything related to boats and motors

Old 05-16-2014, 11:21 AM
Flounder

Cash: 678
Default ground problems

i have a 15 foot skeeter sd 80 with 75 mariner 89 boat an moter i found a 17 foot ss 90 with mercury 70 on it 94 model i am goin to use the ss 90 for fishing the moter on it 70 wasnt running so i took the 75 mariner off the sd 80 an put it on the ss an now i cant get it running just clicks wen you turn the key.we cleaned all ground wires twice an still clicks barly tried to turn over a cuple times could the rectifier be the problem
Old 05-16-2014, 11:35 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,852

no the rectifier is for charging try getting a voltage reading before and after the start relay. it could be a bad connection or the relay is bad then again it could be a starter.

just follow the 12v positive voltage from battery terminal to the starter itself and if all is good do the same for the negative ground and make sure you have solid power supply.

if everything checks out good then put jumper cable to positive on battery and touch the starter terminal or starter side of the start relay (whichever is easiest to do), if it doesn't work the starter is bad. if its been sitting a long time the shaft might have rust or corrosion on it jamming it.

I would also suggest you loosen clean and retighten the main cable connections to ensure good connections and spray wd40 on em for a little extra corrosion protection
Old 05-16-2014, 11:40 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 713

Quote:
Originally Posted by squatcher101 View Post
i have a 15 foot skeeter sd 80 with 75 mariner 89 boat an moter i found a 17 foot ss 90 with mercury 70 on it 94 model i am goin to use the ss 90 for fishing the moter on it 70 wasnt running so i took the 75 mariner off the sd 80 an put it on the ss an now i cant get it running just clicks wen you turn the key.we cleaned all ground wires twice an still clicks barly tried to turn over a cuple times could the rectifier be the problem
I apologize, I am having difficulty comprehending whatever you typed. I think you're asking about a low voltage problem when trying to start an outboard? FIRST, it is not the rectifier.
Is the motor locked up, try turning it over with a socket on the flywheel nut. If it turns freely:
Try using jumper cables and connect the ground side then touch the positive to the positive lug on the side of the starter. If it spins over, the problem is between the starter and the battery. Start working your way back, remove all wires from the solenoid and clean connections, AFTER disconnecting from the battery. If all checks out good, all connections clean, solenoid working properly, then try using the jumper cables as battery cables. I have seen battery cables break down on the inside and supply just enough amperage to click the solenoid but not enough to spin the motor.
D
Old 05-16-2014, 12:05 PM
Flounder

Cash: 678

thanks for the information i try that
Old 05-17-2014, 10:21 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 4,182

Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunChristian View Post
I apologize, I am having difficulty comprehending whatever you typed. I think you're asking about a low voltage problem when trying to start an outboard? FIRST, it is not the rectifier.
Is the motor locked up, try turning it over with a socket on the flywheel nut. If it turns freely:
Try using jumper cables and connect the ground side then touch the positive to the positive lug on the side of the starter. If it spins over, the problem is between the starter and the battery. Start working your way back, remove all wires from the solenoid and clean connections, AFTER disconnecting from the battery. If all checks out good, all connections clean, solenoid working properly, then try using the jumper cables as battery cables. I have seen battery cables break down on the inside and supply just enough amperage to click the solenoid but not enough to spin the motor.
D
Before using the jumper cables as CajunChristian suggested, I recommend you try "jumping" the solenoid. The solenoid is just a fancy "On/Off" switch. When you turn the key to try and start the engine, the solenoid is suppose to "close" the switch to start the starter motor.

To test the solenoid, be sure the key is in the off position. Get a short piece of 8 or 10 gauge wire and strip off about 1/4" of the insulation on each end. Being very careful to not touch any other part of the motor, put one end on the large red wire that comes from the battery. Then touch the other end of the jumper wire to the large red wire that goes to the starter motor.

Keep in mind when you do this, the started motor should suddenly [and violently] start turn the outboard engine.

Sometimes you can use a screwdriver, instead of a "jumper" wire to test if the solenoid is working.

If this makes the starter motor crank the engine, either the solenoid is bad or the one of the smaller wires that connects to the solenoid is not getting power to the solenoid to activate it.

If you can hear the solenoid make a "click" sound, then the "switch" part of the solenoid is working but the contacts inside the solenoid are burned and not making a good connection and you need a new solenoid.

After doing this test, if the starter motor does not turn......try the jumper cables directly from the battery as suggested above to see if the wires from the battery to the solenoid are bad.

Sometimes older wires start corroding near the end of the wire under the insulation and you can not see this unless you look close at the small exposed wires. If you find this......start cutting off a small section on the end of the wire. Keep cutting until you find good shiny copper wires and then reconnect the wire.
Old 05-18-2014, 12:35 AM
Sailfish

Cash: 5,596

Does the bendix on the starter pop up when you turn the key over?

"Go ahead, share your opinion! I won't cry"