SaltyCajun.com http://www.lakecharlestackle.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Boating Talk

Boating Talk For discussion of everything related to boats and motors

Old 05-24-2014, 05:28 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,852
Default cylinder head repair, what can be done?

I found I have a clean tiny hole in my cylinder head, I mean a clean hole like you drilled it with a 1/16th drill bit or something.

can this be welded and repaired or should I tap threads in it and screw in an aluminum screw then snap it off and use a punch to lock it in place to plug the hole?

I also have some corrosion that could use a weld to build it back up and resurface the head smooth but it not in danger of a leak for now so its not that much a concern to me, my main concern is the hole in my cylinder head.

I live in laplace 20 minutes west of new Orleans so does anyone know someone who can fix this head for me or should I just find a welder to weld it and try to resurface it myself?

replacing the head is not an option because there is no used heads to buy and new head would be blank and by the time I spent labor to do the valves and all it would cost a lot more then the motor is worth.

Old 05-24-2014, 05:37 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 2,464

Why not change the piston? I am having a shop change a piston and sleeve in my Suzuki
Old 05-24-2014, 05:50 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,354

theres a machine shop in the s curve in harahan i used to use for aluminum heads and other work. From the looks of that i'd buy a new head or new motor depending on what you want to spend for the age of the motor. You can have them set the valves or get some compound and take your time and do it yourself. I done it on kawasaki twin cylinders with a simple suction cup tool . I recently put a new head on a 70 yam. and between that and gaskets , new headbolts it ain't cheap......If i had to pay someone to do it i would have bought another motor.
Old 05-24-2014, 06:52 PM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil bubba View Post
theres a machine shop in the s curve in harahan i used to use for aluminum heads and other work. From the looks of that i'd buy a new head or new motor depending on what you want to spend for the age of the motor. You can have them set the valves or get some compound and take your time and do it yourself. I done it on kawasaki twin cylinders with a simple suction cup tool . I recently put a new head on a 70 yam. and between that and gaskets , new headbolts it ain't cheap......If i had to pay someone to do it i would have bought another motor.
yep, I priced out the parts I need to just replace the head gaskets and the new gasket kit and seals, o-rings, and everything to put it all back together will run around $250

a new head costs $1,700 and its bare so you need to install everything and lap the valves and shim the cams and all that it will be around 6 hours labor charge minimum so for the new parts and the labor to swap everything to the new head plus the cost of the new head, it would be in the $2,500+ range in price plus the gaskets mentioned above brings it to $2,750 plus taxes would put it near $3,000 for everything. its just not worth it.

I guess i'll just have to sell off all the rest of the good parts and get what I can for them. might get more then I would for the whole motor if it was in working order.

Quote:
Originally Posted by weedeater View Post
Why not change the piston? I am having a shop change a piston and sleeve in my Suzuki
ummm, this is about the head not the pistons, there is nothing wrong with the pistons

Last edited by keakar; 05-24-2014 at 07:37 PM.
Old 05-24-2014, 08:32 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 2,464

I miss read while ago and the pics didn't load.... sorry
Old 05-25-2014, 10:08 AM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by weedeater View Post
I miss read while ago and the pics didn't load.... sorry
no need to be sorry, you were just trying to help and I appreciate that.