SaltyCajun.com http://www.lyonsagency.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 04-11-2011, 04:47 PM
Great White

Cash: 1,217

Most of our operators have had on the job training in I&E work. Shell used to hire off the street and you had to work your way up.
Now they hire experienced and/or straight out of tech. schools thru an internship program. We get a lot of interns who want to work offshore, but end up not taking the work cause of the 14/14 schedule.
Shell has a Skill Based Pay system. You have to prove you can do more than one craft in order to move up. If you only do I&E work, you won't make more money. You have to be willing to cross train in other crafts.
It is a pain, but the pay is worth it, if you get hired on.
We get a lot of contract workers who get on thru the experienced hire process. But that is about once a year.
The internship hire process is done year round.
We will be hiring around 50 experienced hires and 40 thru tech schools this year, and about the same next year.
shell.com/us
Old 04-11-2011, 07:26 PM
Flounder

Cash: 657

Thanks for the feedback Ray. If I would do special projects it would be in houston for 2 years working a 9/80. I don't like the Houston or the 9/80 part, but I think it will be a great learning experience.
Old 04-11-2011, 08:01 PM
Flounder

Cash: 648

You should try to work my schedule. It is called can till can't. In the service industry there is no schedule. You go on a job and unless you have some prior engagments you stay from start to finish of the job. Granted you are ampley compensated,but it would be nice to not have to work that long. I am currently in Trinidad and I will be looking at a rotation of 35 and 35. Out of that you travel on your time. You have to think about your time at home and don't swet the time you are at work. That is what I think.
Old 04-15-2011, 07:57 PM
Redfish

Cash: 919

14/14 is the deal. really nice when you throw a weeks vacation on there. used to work 7/7, then 14/14 and loved it. now i work a canadian shift in a plant and wish i was back 7/7.
Old 04-15-2011, 08:25 PM
Flounder

Cash: 706

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray View Post
Most of our operators have had on the job training in I&E work. Shell used to hire off the street and you had to work your way up.
Now they hire experienced and/or straight out of tech. schools thru an internship program. We get a lot of interns who want to work offshore, but end up not taking the work cause of the 14/14 schedule.
Shell has a Skill Based Pay system. You have to prove you can do more than one craft in order to move up. If you only do I&E work, you won't make more money. You have to be willing to cross train in other crafts.
It is a pain, but the pay is worth it, if you get hired on.
We get a lot of contract workers who get on thru the experienced hire process. But that is about once a year.
The internship hire process is done year round.
We will be hiring around 50 experienced hires and 40 thru tech schools this year, and about the same next year.
shell.com/us
I got my degree Ptec Degree and was on MP 252 the day of my graduation interning with them, and then the economy tanked and no job offer. Shell is a great company and would love to get back with them, very professional
Old 04-16-2011, 04:47 PM
Flounder

Cash: 972

14 & 14 is the way to go ,i have work 10 and 5 that sucks,i am looking for a 14 and 7 job sure would nice to work 7 and get 14 off
Old 04-17-2011, 05:38 AM
Redfish

Cash: 699

Quote:
Originally Posted by MossLake View Post
Similar but no where near the SAME. Us Tech's can do an operator's job (Prop our feet up and turn a block valve every now and again), but not gonna see an operator do a Tech's job. Right Goose and Yella? Get the tech degree and some Electrical classes and do any of your above mentioned jobs.
You can't even do your job without operators help, I had to show you and your counter part how to reset a controller on the compressor little buddy. And by the way if (my) feet are kicked up you get fat bonus check.