SaltyCajun.com http://www.stickemrods.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 07-14-2013, 09:07 AM
Redfish

Cash: 763
Default what kind of duck is it.

Saw this duck south of Lake Charles.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CAM00404-2.jpg (44.8 KB, 569 views)
File Type: jpg CAM00399-1.jpg (58.9 KB, 569 views)
Old 07-14-2013, 09:09 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 4,393

Looks like a squealer crossed with Something
Old 07-14-2013, 09:26 AM
Ling

Cash: 3,167

Looks to be a White-faced tree duck

You seriously saw this south of Lake Charles? In the wild?

Has to be an escapee
Old 07-14-2013, 09:28 AM
Ling

Your duck vs google images, looks good for white-faced tree duck
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PICT0138whitefacereflection.jpg (86.8 KB, 554 views)
File Type: jpg CAM00404-2.jpg (44.8 KB, 554 views)
Old 07-14-2013, 09:34 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 7,266

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck Butter View Post
Looks to be a White-faced tree duck

You seriously saw this south of Lake Charles? In the wild?

Has to be an escapee
Why would it be an escapee? These thing are all over the place.
Old 07-14-2013, 09:41 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 3,455

Beautiful bird. Would like to see them this winter with the squeelers.
Old 07-14-2013, 09:45 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 7,266

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goooh View Post
Why would it be an escapee? These thing are all over the place.
NM, I was mistaken
Old 07-14-2013, 09:47 AM
King Mackeral

So its a cousin of the squealer?
Old 07-14-2013, 09:50 AM
King Mackeral

via wiki...
The White-faced Whistling Duck has a peculiar disjunct distribution, occurring in Africa and South America. It has been suggested that they may have been transported to new locations by humans. The habitat is still freshwater lakes or reservoirs, with plentiful vegetation, where this
feeds on seeds and other plant food.
Old 07-14-2013, 09:59 AM
Ling

Cousin of the fulvous and black-bellied whistling (tree ) ducks.

You have to assume it to be an escapee first, but they inhabit S America and that is where the fulvous and black-bellieds came from as well. Very interdasting. Should have a band or a footweb clip if its a captive.

The last few years there has been some pretty odd birds coming to and thru south Louisiana. Birds we see everyday now such as roseate spoonbills were not that long ago pretty uncommon in our area. Cattle egrets are actually the very same egrets you see in Africa on Nat Geo walking with the cape buffalo and wildebeast and other plains game. They somehow got here and are right at home following our 'plains game' (heiffers and John Deere tractors) to kick up bugs

Can you put a point on a map where you saw this please?
Old 07-14-2013, 10:04 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 3,948

Man that is crazy. Pretty cool bird right there, would love to see that and get some pictures myself.
Old 07-14-2013, 12:02 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,917

Yep tree duck, its always interesting to see a new species.
Old 07-14-2013, 01:19 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,749

wonder what it taste like in a gravy???

Sent from an Apple Tree..
Old 07-14-2013, 02:00 PM
Ling

man, you are killing me post some details

its hard to prove wild origin, and you have to first assume captive origin, but would be something very cool if its an actual wild bird, would probably be the first record for North America
Old 07-14-2013, 02:21 PM
Redfish

Cash: 763

How do we prove wild origin. I did not see any bands.
So I. Would assume wild. I saw it on private property
So really can't. Give location.
Old 07-14-2013, 03:24 PM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by jldsc View Post
wonder what it taste like in a gravy???

Sent from an Apple Tree..
If its anything like its cousin good taste just a real lean bird. Not much meat.
Old 07-14-2013, 09:43 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,917

This is a Black Bellied Tree duck Mounted and harvested by Todd Broussard. He also won an award with this mount. The bird was harvested in sweet lake and other people have spotted them there also...Todd does exceptional work also.
I realized the duck I posted is different than the original pic. I wonder if they migrate together?

Last edited by Bdub; 07-14-2013 at 09:48 PM. Reason: changes
Old 07-15-2013, 06:47 AM
King Mackeral

Man I know Todd, used to work with him. As far as the migration thing goes, idk. Even if they do migrate together, which is doubtful, this is still an anomaly. This bird is way off of its home range.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I847 using Tapatalk 2
Old 07-15-2013, 09:06 AM
Ling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdub View Post
This is a Black Bellied Tree duck Mounted and harvested by Todd Broussard. He also won an award with this mount. The bird was harvested in sweet lake and other people have spotted them there also...Todd does exceptional work also.
I realized the duck I posted is different than the original pic. I wonder if they migrate together?

Black-bellieds and fulvous whistling ducks (formerly tree ducks) used to be a rarity, now they are more and more common and breeding all over the state including N La and into Arkansas. They are a dime a dozen in rice fields. The white-faced tree duck you have a picture of (if actually wild) would be something very very unique and probably a first record for Louisiana and maybe even for the US. There is actually a very formal process to get a sighting of a rare bird verified (don't laugh). There is a committee that takes into account all the sightings of the year and they vote on whether there is enough info at hand to verify the bird first and foremost as wild, then the location has to be verified as well as a few other things. There are records every year that get discounted because there is not enough info to go by. For instance, there was a flamingo that was hanging around Rockefeller 2 or 3 summers ago and was an actual wild bird because the band numbers were verified. People from all over went to go see the bird and scratch the bird off their 'life list'
Last year or year before there were 2 down around Venice that were likely very much wild birds but could not be verified 100% so they didn't 'count'

In the spring especially when there is a cold front or storms, the bird watchers flock down to the coast to watch the birds that flew all the way across the gulf lilterally 'fall out' the sky. They are so exhausted, they see land and sometimes tumble when they hit land. It is the 'holy grail' of birdwatching (well, minus the Ivory-billed wood******) Sometimes a rare bird will show up with the bad weather. Grand Isle is a great place to view this as well as Cameron Parish beaches and a place called Peveto Woods. I am just going to stop ranting right here right now.
Old 07-15-2013, 11:54 AM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck Butter View Post
Black-bellieds and fulvous whistling ducks (formerly tree ducks) used to be a rarity, now they are more and more common and breeding all over the state including N La and into Arkansas. They are a dime a dozen in rice fields. The white-faced tree duck you have a picture of (if actually wild) would be something very very unique and probably a first record for Louisiana and maybe even for the US. There is actually a very formal process to get a sighting of a rare bird verified (don't laugh). There is a committee that takes into account all the sightings of the year and they vote on whether there is enough info at hand to verify the bird first and foremost as wild, then the location has to be verified as well as a few other things. There are records every year that get discounted because there is not enough info to go by. For instance, there was a flamingo that was hanging around Rockefeller 2 or 3 summers ago and was an actual wild bird because the band numbers were verified. People from all over went to go see the bird and scratch the bird off their 'life list'
Last year or year before there were 2 down around Venice that were likely very much wild birds but could not be verified 100% so they didn't 'count'

In the spring especially when there is a cold front or storms, the bird watchers flock down to the coast to watch the birds that flew all the way across the gulf lilterally 'fall out' the sky. They are so exhausted, they see land and sometimes tumble when they hit land. It is the 'holy grail' of birdwatching (well, minus the Ivory-billed wood******) Sometimes a rare bird will show up with the bad weather. Grand Isle is a great place to view this as well as Cameron Parish beaches and a place called Peveto Woods. I am just going to stop ranting right here right now.

lmao, ah the life of a birdwatcher. I must say, I have seen some really cool birds during the migration and summer. I've seen all sorts of warblers, the horned lark, phalaropes, both species of cukoo, several different flycatchers, including what was either a Tropical or Western Kingbird, Sooty Tern, etc.

Sorry, I'm a self professed "bird nerd".