SaltyCajun.com http://www.lakecharlesurgentcare.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion

Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion Discuss inshore fishing, tackle, and tactics here!

LMC Marine

Old 04-27-2014, 09:48 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Cash: 7,829

Anyone who wants to come jump in my boat and take a ride let me know
We will start here at Heberts then drive to Cameron and talk to locals then to Hackberry plus stop a few shrimp boats in the way

Bring you note pad and pencil because this is not my 1st rodeo
Old 04-27-2014, 09:51 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 3,948

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallardhead View Post
Must not be manageing something right back there used to hunt back in that area with sono savoies lease in the mid and late 90s and would smash ducks every day from what I hear now it sucks back there I always hear all this crap about ducks dont like salt water marshes well im calling bs on that too. I can see closeing the weirs when tides run way above normal but not the bull crap they are pulling now.

Sent from my LGL45C using Tapatalk 2
Name all the different foods that ducks eat. Guarantee you I can tell you that the majority do not occur in salt marshes.

That marsh is not salt marsh anyway, so that's irrelevant. There is a very small fringing salt marsh on the southern end. Most of it is intermediate and brackish. Most of what I have seen is dominated by wiregrass, which is not a good duck food.
Old 04-27-2014, 09:51 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 4,452

Quote:
Originally Posted by "W" View Post
We will start here at Heberts then drive to Cameron and talk to locals then to Hackberry plus stop a few shrimp boats in the way

Y'all should jump in. I learned more about Big Lake in my first boat ride with W than in my fist 40 years. He knows this lake.
Old 04-27-2014, 09:52 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,771

Quote:
Originally Posted by AubreyLaHaye458 View Post
Duck hunting has gone down hill everywhere since the 90's. The duck hunting problem is bigger than this and is definitely not needed in this thread. lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
hahaha

Sent from my LGL45C using Tapatalk 2
Old 04-27-2014, 09:53 PM
Entering A World of Pain

Cash: 9,550

Irony at its best here folks....

The political and finacial backing of whatever sprouts from this endeavor will most likely come from....

*gasp*

Office Fisherman!!!

Don't bite the hand that feeds....
The cops are the experts on the current criminal trends. If they have determined that a “high capacity” semiautomatic pistol and a .223 semiautomatic rifle with 30-round magazines are the best firearms for them to use to protect people like me and my family, they are obviously the best things for us to use to protect ourselves and our families .
Old 04-27-2014, 09:53 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 3,728

Quote:

Do we get to fish in between?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-27-2014, 09:57 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,837

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smalls View Post
Name all the different foods that ducks eat. Guarantee you I can tell you that the majority do not occur in salt marshes.

That marsh is not salt marsh anyway, so that's irrelevant. There is a very small fringing salt marsh on the southern end. Most of it is intermediate and brackish. Most of what I have seen is dominated by wiregrass, which is not a good duck food.
I know there is enough food and fresh water between here and canada that the ole grey duck marsh behind the weirs shouldn't be a huge concern. That marsh gets much fresher there won't be too many greys in there. Ponds will close in with cattails and cut grass, and there won't be any open water period. Fly over lacassine refuge and tell me that's a healthy marsh that is great habitat. It was 5 years ago, now it is done for.
Old 04-27-2014, 09:58 PM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by AubreyLaHaye458 View Post
Duck hunting has gone down hill everywhere since the 90's. The duck hunting problem is bigger than this and is definitely not needed in this thread. lol
I agree. The goal of marsh restoration is to keep the marsh from washing away and becoming an open bay, not to create optimal duck food to bait ducks for hunters to shoot.

Over time, if good salinity conditions are maintained, the habitat will shift and be more amenable.

But you can't have competing goals each and every hear and make great duck bait, optimally feed the lake, and keep the marsh from washing away in the next storm surge. You gotta pick one. And keeping the marsh from evolving into an open bay is the right priority.
Old 04-27-2014, 10:00 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

MathGeek next time your around I'm kidnapping you for the day.. me and you have some ground to cover so keep in mind to leave free at least one day or half day when you come
Old 04-27-2014, 10:02 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,090

Quote:
Nope, I have spoken to 6 crabbers in last 4 weeks
2 Shrimpers from Hackberry out of spicers
2 local oyster fisherman out of spicers
50 local camp owners and lake residents
1 hunting club owner
And about 15 of us guides
And this is our biggest issues but people who sit in a office don't have a clue what's going on out here

I'm thankful I have a job I can live off of and guiding is my 2nd income
We have hundreds who make full time living off this lake and are fed up with the lack of actions by CCA AND State

Have time to adjust limits but yet ignore the problems
I would have to say I finally agree with you regarding getting some of these organizations take some sort of action. However, could it be that they are gathering data and are waiting to speak until they have their facts straight?
Old 04-27-2014, 10:08 PM
Red Snapper

Quote:

Count me in. If possible I'd like to go at the same time as Math Geek. Like I said before, we can go on my dime too. Not sure how much estuary management background the shrimpers, crabbers, and locals Of Cameron parish have but I'm sure they will have some very strong opinions. Smalls, would love for you to jump in too.
Old 04-27-2014, 10:08 PM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by noodle creek View Post
I know there is enough food and fresh water between here and canada that the ole grey duck marsh behind the weirs shouldn't be a huge concern. That marsh gets much fresher there won't be too many greys in there. Ponds will close in with cattails and cut grass, and there won't be any open water period. Fly over lacassine refuge and tell me that's a healthy marsh that is great habitat. It was 5 years ago, now it is done for.
Can we get off the ducks already! That is not the purpose of the weirs. Marsh management, not duck management. Waltrip has said it before, the east side is the life blood of the lake. You know why? That marsh. If it becomes open water, no more nursery, no more bait fish, no more crabs, no more shrimp, and a lot more *****ing.
Old 04-27-2014, 10:10 PM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural Light Kid View Post
Count me in. If possible I'd like to go at the same time as Math Geek. Like I said before, we can go on my dime too. Not sure how much estuary management background the shrimpers, crabbers, and locals Of Cameron parish have but I'm sure they will have some very strong opinions. Smalls, would love for you to jump in too.
You wanna do it, put it together. I'm down.
Old 04-27-2014, 10:12 PM
Red Snapper

Quote:
The primary objective of the NWR is to provide waterfowl habitat, not fisheries. If conditions are not favorable to proper management of that habitat, they are going to close the weirs.
Your quote, not mine
Old 04-27-2014, 10:12 PM
King Mackeral

Quote:
MathGeek next time your around I'm kidnapping you for the day.. me and you have some ground to cover so keep in mind to leave free at least one day or half day when you come
Check your PMs.
Old 04-27-2014, 10:15 PM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by noodle creek View Post
Your quote, not mine
Again, I was referencing two seperate things. Someone said the NWR should account for fish as well. They do not manage fish, they manage ducks. The weirs are there to manage marsh habitat. If conditions aren't right to maintain the marsh, they close the weirs.
Old 04-27-2014, 10:15 PM
Red Snapper

Quote:
You wanna do it, put it together. I'm down.
Mr. W, it's up to you now my brother to put this together. please keep in mind most of us do work during the week. If necessary though, it's worth a vacation day to me. Keep us posted. Thanks
Old 04-27-2014, 10:19 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Quote:
I would have to say I finally agree with you regarding getting some of these organizations take some sort of action. However, could it be that they are gathering data and are waiting to speak until they have their facts straight?

Who's facts are written in stone? How long do we wait for someone to set in stone a fact

Here are 100% true Facts
#1 we have serious erosion on the ship channel last year we lost super cut islands, Island south entrance of WC, major loss lake side by Texaco cut all this can be seen with eyes

#2 over oystering, the oyster fisherman will tell you the size and the numbers are at all time low this year. They drag for hours to fill a sack

#3 cutting off marsh supply stops your echo system from working naturally. Shrimp and bait fish use these marshes for the life cycle. When you cut out a piece if any cycles you cause damage to the system.

Wild Life and Fishers will not release the SPR #s to the public.
I just found out the reasons why yesterday from a close source.
Old 04-27-2014, 10:19 PM
King Mackeral

Quote:
I'm stuck in Baton Rouge or travelling on business until late May. Take W up on his offer as soon as you can, then stop by and shoot the breeze with me when we're in town for the creel surveys in late May/early June or come and tell fish stories at the Tourney. When we're in LC in May/June, we're at the boat ramps doing creel surveys on the prime time days (weekends), so we'll do most of our fishing during the week.

You're also welcome to join us any time surf fishing. We'll be hitting Holly and/or Rutherford often this Summer. PM me and we'll swap numbers, etc.
Old 04-27-2014, 10:20 PM
Red Snapper

I understand, just confused on whether or not managing a marsh so that it doesn't erode and managing the same marsh for awesome duck habitat can coinside. Seems like there would need to be a little bit of salt water in the marsh. Is there a way to get saltwater to eastern side of the marsh, where everything is growing in, without having too much saltwater in the front of the marsh?