SaltyCajun.com http://cajunrodandreelrepair.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion

Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion Discuss inshore fishing, tackle, and tactics here!

LMC Marine

Old 12-19-2011, 08:52 AM
Flounder

Cash: 714
Default Reading Tides

Trying to figure out how the tides work at Big Lake and Cypremort Point. I see tides for Calc Pass Jetty and Calc Pass Lighthouse Wharf. Which one do you use. Also how do you use this for the North side of the lake like Turner's Bay. If high tide in the pass is at 12 noon, is high tide at Turner's "x" number of hours after that?

For Verm Bay i look at SW Pass, Cyp Point, and Weeks Bay. They don't seem to correlate at all. I would think tide predictions for SW Pass would affect tides at Cyp Point/Weeks but i don't see that in the charts.

I've been using rodnreel.com for tide charts or use noaa sometimes as well.

Thanks.
JV
Old 12-19-2011, 09:09 AM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Cash: 7,829

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathonv View Post
Trying to figure out how the tides work at Big Lake and Cypremort Point. I see tides for Calc Pass Jetty and Calc Pass Lighthouse Wharf. Which one do you use. Also how do you use this for the North side of the lake like Turner's Bay. If high tide in the pass is at 12 noon, is high tide at Turner's "x" number of hours after that?

For Verm Bay i look at SW Pass, Cyp Point, and Weeks Bay. They don't seem to correlate at all. I would think tide predictions for SW Pass would affect tides at Cyp Point/Weeks but i don't see that in the charts.

I've been using rodnreel.com for tide charts or use noaa sometimes as well.

Thanks.
JV

Tide technology has come a long way from charts.... Using predicted charts is a thing of the past... Now you can use live tide reading for Big Lake and other places

Tides also travel on winds and currents when they apply to a day

Example

you can have tide rising at Jetties and still falling in turners for two more hours ... You can have up to a 1hour or 3 hour delay depending on winds and currents..

You can also have a hard incoming or outgoing which will wall the lake off to any movement.....

If you know how to read the tide reading you can plan your trips for times...... If I know in March that the fish are going to bite on incoming tides... don't go fishing until the tide starts coming in...and you can watch it from phone

Today your tide is moving faster and higher than normal so movement up north will be faster on income but slower on outgoing

http://www.tidesandcurrents.noaa.gov...type=Composite
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 8768094_wi_24.jpg (54.6 KB, 319 views)
File Type: jpg 8768094_wl_24.jpg (59.7 KB, 319 views)
Old 12-19-2011, 10:23 AM
Great White

Cash: 1,217

Tide Chart app for Android phones works pretty good.
Old 12-19-2011, 09:46 PM
Flounder

Cash: 714

Thanks for the link that's a great one.
Old 12-21-2011, 12:56 AM
Sand Trout

Cash: 629

I understand the tide graph for calcasieu pass, but how do I determine when the tide changes up in turner's bay? You said anywhere from 1-3 hrs difference.
Old 12-21-2011, 01:06 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,563

I use charts just for reference. Best thing to do is to check the real time data for the area you will be fishing. The day before i go fishing i look at the data and see when the high and low tides were. Then add about an hour for the next day. This way, by using the real time data you take into account the current wind conditions and how its affecting the tide movement.

Link to all Louisiana stations:
http://waterdata.usgs.gov/la/nwis/current/?type=flow

Scroll down to the Calcasieu River sections. They have a guage at the jetties, turners bay area, and at I-10. I like to set the output from graph to table. That way I can see the readings at each hour. Low tide today at the Jetties was at around 5am and low tide at Turners Bay was around 9am.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by redaddiction; 12-21-2011 at 01:32 AM.
Old 12-22-2011, 09:07 PM
Sand Trout

Cash: 629

Thanks for the help and link! Driving from Port Barre i need all the help I can get!