SaltyCajun.com https://www.facebook.com/CajunTackle

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hunting, Boating, and General Outdoor Talk > Hunting Discussion

Hunting Discussion Discuss anything related to hunting here!

Old 02-19-2010, 11:15 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 4,182
Default WMA Turkey Lottery

Did anyone apply to hunt one of the WMA's Turkey lottery?

The LDWF's permits have been mailed.

I got my first choice........so I know where I will be on March 20. Now I got to do some scouting to locate where some birds located.
Old 02-20-2010, 08:20 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 3,455

I sent in for the lottery on Sherbune. My 1st choice
is the mon and tues. I'm on my way back from Colorado right now. Hopefully my ticket will be in the mail. I didn't get picked last year but
got picked year before.
Old 02-20-2010, 02:46 PM
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by specktator View Post
I sent in for the lottery on Sherbune. My 1st choice
is the mon and tues and WEDNESDAY. I'm on my way back from Colorado right now. Hopefully my ticket will be in the mail. I didn't get picked last year but
got picked year before.
I fixed it for you.

I usually put in for the Mon. - Wed. lottery at Sherburne. With the woods so full of down trees & high water, I put in for CC. I did not get picked last year.
Old 02-20-2010, 03:26 PM
Redfish

Cash: 829

I got mine in the mail yesterday. March 27-28 in Clear Creek. I have never done well there. Anyone have any suggestions??
Old 02-20-2010, 06:38 PM
Swordfish

Yeh I have gone to Sherbune the last 2 years. The first year I got picked and got on a bunch of toms. The last day I had 2 within 100 yards and someone shot and spooked em! Then this past year water was so high I couldn't go to my spot on KS side so I had to hunt on Butte La Rose side. Saw 2 hens and never heard a gobble.
Old 02-20-2010, 07:49 PM
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by swglenn View Post
I got mine in the mail yesterday. March 27-28 in Clear Creek. I have never done well there. Anyone have any suggestions??
I have hunted CC off and on for over 10 years. I have killed a few Deer there...but not a Turkey. I hunted there a couple of times last year and did not every hear a gobble. GW told me that the Tom's were gobbling during the middle of the month [during the youth hunt] but after that the Toms were mostly quite. I am glad the season starts a little earlier this year.

The year before that, I found a Tom near a main road. Before I could get on him, another hunter stopped just down the road. After a few more gobbles, he went silent and never showed.

I will be scouting up at CC probably starting in a week.......do you want to go sometime?
Old 02-20-2010, 09:22 PM
Swordfish

I just got home. I got picked for march 22-24 on Sherbune
Old 02-22-2010, 09:29 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 1,003

I drew the first weekend in West Bay. Never even been there so I got some scouting to do. Would anyone like to offer any tips on West Bay??
Old 02-22-2010, 11:24 AM
Sailfish

I have not been there in a couple of years. Never Turkey hunted there.

10+ years ago, I talked to a guy that was on a lease on the south side of WB. He said that there was a lot of turkey in that area.

Many parts of the south side flood some.

Suggest you do lots of driving and mark on a map where you find areas [I like young cutovers] that maybe good to hunt. Keep in mind.....some of the roads will take a 4 wheel drive to get through muddy spots. You may need to avoid these roads.

Try to learn where the creeks are located. If it rains, you may not be able to cross them to get to a turkey on the other side. It is bad when you walk 1/2 mile chasing a Tom......and can not cross a creek to get to him.

Do some early morning scouting.....get there well before daylight and drive very slow....to keep your noise to a mimimun. The Tom's may only make a few "TREE" gobbles, so don't miss this chance to located a Tom.

March 13 is YOUTH hunt......you can not scout during youth hunting.
Old 02-22-2010, 11:52 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 1,003

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald View Post
I have not been there in a couple of years. Never Turkey hunted there.

10+ years ago, I talked to a guy that was on a lease on the south side of WB. He said that there was a lot of turkey in that area.

Many parts of the south side flood some.

Suggest you do lots of driving and mark on a map where you find areas [I like young cutovers] that maybe good to hunt. Keep in mind.....some of the roads will take a 4 wheel drive to get through muddy spots. You may need to avoid these roads.

Try to learn where the creeks are located. If it rains, you may not be able to cross them to get to a turkey on the other side. It is bad when you walk 1/2 mile chasing a Tom......and can not cross a creek to get to him.

Do some early morning scouting.....get there well before daylight and drive very slow....to keep your noise to a mimimun. The Tom's may only make a few "TREE" gobbles, so don't miss this chance to located a Tom.

March 13 is YOUTH hunt......you can not scout during youth hunting.
Yes I have it all mapped out and I will be putting some shoe leather to the ground very soon. I have a young man that I will be taking on a youth hunt already but not to WB. I am off the Friday before the opener though and I will be trying my darndest to put one to bed. They only allow 50 lottery winners per weekend so hopefully I won't get too crowded.
Old 02-22-2010, 11:55 AM
Great White

Cash: 2,534

Quote:
Originally Posted by swglenn View Post

WMA ?? thats like 2 minutes from my house...
Old 02-22-2010, 06:10 PM
Redfish

Cash: 829
Smile

Well it looks like we have a place to stay. What time is supper and can we get a late breakfast after the morning hunt? HaHa! Send me a PM with any ideas you have about areas to focus on. I would hate for the potlickers to find out.
Old 02-28-2010, 08:07 PM
Sand Trout

Cash: 654
Default wma turkey lottery

yes i did picked for clear creek first hunt hope to get big tom, good luck