SaltyCajun.com http://www.boltonford.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion

Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion Discuss inshore fishing, tackle, and tactics here!

LMC Marine

Old 09-08-2016, 01:26 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 4,452
Default Cayenne Lime Marinated Grilled Jack Crevalle

Once you eat Jack, you never throw back!

Video
Old 09-08-2016, 03:16 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,075

...really? Cause i know about 100 shrimp boats loaded up with them bayou yellowfin. I can't get over the smell.
Old 09-08-2016, 06:58 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 565

Road kill would taste better.
Old 09-08-2016, 07:21 PM
Great White

Cash: 22,543

So you pretty much make jack ceviche then grill it, with enough seasoning to cover up the taste.
Old 09-08-2016, 08:24 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,354

Never tried it . Is it really that bad ??? Ya'll mite be trying to hide something . Scared they gunna put some limits on ya'll boy's to the west ......
Old 09-08-2016, 09:27 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Cash: 7,829

Once I ate Jack and never looked back

Back at cutting its head off for chum

Worst fish Meat in GOM
Old 09-08-2016, 11:22 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 826

Quote:
Originally Posted by "W" View Post

Worst fish Meat in GOM
IDK man, had some Vietnamese painters cook hardtails they caught when I worked offshore. Never tried it, but smell was horrendous. Fish head soup...threw the pots out when they didn't clean it!
Old 09-09-2016, 05:33 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 2,486

Quote:
Originally Posted by "W" View Post

Worst fish Meat in GOM
Beg to differ. Tarpon is worse.
Old 09-10-2016, 03:54 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 4,452

I have no idea what people are talking about when they say this fish tastes bad. My bet is they have never tried it or have never tried it cared for and properly trimmed.

We take good care of our fish - icing them immediately and thoroughly. My daughter makes careful efforts at trimming after I provide the initial fillet.

Her words:

I was super careful taking all the blood meat off of the CJ.... as with everything else

Lol like super rinsing all the scales and [slime] and trimming any bones or blood meat or silver skin

The strong marinade is a matter of choice, not covering up strong fishy flavors. The last time we had it, we just threw it on the grill. The mild, firm flesh was very good grilled. But the mild flavor suggested some cajun seasoning ...
Old 09-10-2016, 08:38 AM
Redfish

Cash: 623

I think you're right. Most of the time people say this or that fish is "bad", they have no idea what they are talking about. They are just repeating the myths and legends they've been told. If they have tried it, it's usually with a biased preconception going in and they only reaffirm their preconception.

Most of these people say hardhead catfish are "bad". Put them in a blind taste test and they couldn't tell the difference between hardhead and any other catfish.

This is groupthink. People trying to fit in with what their group thinks. Doesn't matter if it's true or not.
Old 09-10-2016, 11:15 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 858

I was told the same with gaffs but trim the blood out and they are great. If I ever get a Jack I'll try it, I'm sure if God put it in the ocean we can find a way to eat it. After all, someone had to eat the first oyster.
Old 09-10-2016, 12:08 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 2,486

My opinion, the juice ain't worth the squeezing. If you have to work that hard trimming and prepping, then it's not worth it. This isn't Florida. We have resources and liberal limits on better fish than sailcats and jackfish.
Old 09-12-2016, 08:57 AM
Trophy Trout

Ive stuck enough of those guys with gaffs then cut them up on a boat and they were bloody as hell and stunk like rat a**. There is no way by removing the blood line those fish smell any better. God put it on the earth to keep other fish in check, not to be eaten.
Old 09-12-2016, 10:14 AM
Ling

Cash: 2,271

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathGeek View Post
I have no idea what people are talking about when they say this fish tastes bad. My bet is they have never tried it or have never tried it cared for and properly trimmed.

We take good care of our fish - icing them immediately and thoroughly. My daughter makes careful efforts at trimming after I provide the initial fillet.

Her words:

I was super careful taking all the blood meat off of the CJ.... as with everything else

Lol like super rinsing all the scales and [slime] and trimming any bones or blood meat or silver skin

The strong marinade is a matter of choice, not covering up strong fishy flavors. The last time we had it, we just threw it on the grill. The mild, firm flesh was very good grilled. But the mild flavor suggested some cajun seasoning ...

Its funny you started this post about jacks, my friend recently kept one to try out and once he cleaned it, he didn't have much confidence in the taste by the looks of the meat, so he grabbed some ribeyes out the freezer as a backup incase the jack crevalle was bad. He ended up seasoning the jack as he would a steak, and he said the jack was pretty damn good. I still laugh at him, but he said he isn't throwing any back any time soon. I googled it to make sure they weren't super high in mercury or anything, and I didn't find anything saying they were unhealthy, so there's that too. Trustworthy friend of mine too. I'm not saying I'd keep any, but if I'm ever starving, I may try it out.
Old 09-13-2016, 01:08 AM
Sand Trout

Cash: 675

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sightwindow View Post

My opinion, the juice ain't worth the squeezing. If you have to work that hard trimming and prepping, then it's not worth it. This isn't Florida. We have resources and liberal limits on better fish than sailcats and jackfish.
That's right! It ain't worth the effort to have to skin, pluck, gut, debone and cut up deer, ducks, beef, pork and chicken. If you can't filet them up in 15 seconds flat, they're trash!

BTW I first wash off all salt water fish before cleaning. I trim all the red meat on reds and any other fish I catch that has a blood line. As I'm cleaning each fish, I constantly hose off my cleaning table. I don't particularly enjoy filets that have been dredged through slime, scales, guts and fish $h!t.

A fisherman being plumb lazy does not make any fish or animal trash. Regardless of how many posts he has here!
Old 09-13-2016, 09:41 AM
Trophy Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeff31787 View Post
Its funny you started this post about jacks, my friend recently kept one to try out and once he cleaned it, he didn't have much confidence in the taste by the looks of the meat, so he grabbed some ribeyes out the freezer as a backup incase the jack crevalle was bad. He ended up seasoning the jack as he would a steak, and he said the jack was pretty damn good. I still laugh at him, but he said he isn't throwing any back any time soon. I googled it to make sure they weren't super high in mercury or anything, and I didn't find anything saying they were unhealthy, so there's that too. Trustworthy friend of mine too. I'm not saying I'd keep any, but if I'm ever starving, I may try it out.
I hope to God I am never starving enough for that day. So many better fish in the ocean. Hell I don't even like amberjack all that much. All jacks are good for is bait. Warsaw loves a good 15# live amberjack lol
Old 09-13-2016, 09:50 PM
Trophy Trout

If I ever catch one I'll cook it and report back.
Old 09-14-2016, 10:30 AM
Trophy Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broke Down View Post
If I ever catch one I'll cook it and report back.
Go out the pass find a shrimp boat or sat rig they are every where
Old 09-14-2016, 01:52 PM
Sand Trout

Cash: 657

Well, i don't know about you guys, but if i catch it will be cook and eaten.................................
Old 09-14-2016, 10:24 PM
Trophy Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by speck-addict View Post
Go out the pass find a shrimp boat or sat rig they are every where
Buffet time!....haha.

I can honestly see why people don't eat them, that is one slimy fish.