SaltyCajun.com http://www.acadianamarina.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > The Conservationist's Corner

The Conservationist's Corner For discussion of everything to do with conservation!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 04-02-2010, 09:49 PM
Loneshark Loneshark is offline
Tripletail
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Lafayette
Posts: 548
Cash: 1,193
Default

So by banning bowfishing you are helping the redfish spawn more sucessfully? I did a quick search of redfish spawning habits and found this.

"Mature spawning- size redfish occur mostly in offshore waters." http://www.seagrantfish.lsu.edu/reso...ts/redfish.htm

So I don't see where banning bowfishing will help solve this problem.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 04-03-2010, 07:59 AM
cmdrost's Avatar
cmdrost cmdrost is offline
Red Snapper
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Lake Charles via Choupique Bayou
Posts: 1,665
Cash: 663
Default

NO....talking about trout SPR with eman.

Redfish do most of their spawning offshore, which is why they are protected out there. Can't keep if over 3 miles offshore. This issue is more of a "outlaw" nature. Like shooting deer at night with headlights.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 04-03-2010, 08:52 AM
Salty's Avatar
Salty Salty is offline
Great White
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: LA
Posts: 25,447
Cash: 3,191
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loneshark View Post
I'm with Eman on this. I have never bowfished in my life but don't see why the ban is necessary. It is not like they are throwing dynamite in the water and killing everything in the pond. They can narrrow their kill to what ever they are shooting at and from the post the can distinguish size pretty easily. I don't find that too hard to imagine because I can tell a 13 inch speck from a 12 inch speck by just glancing at it when they are being flipped in the boat. I think the premis that it should be banned just because it has a gamefish status is way off base. As I said earlier they classified Redfish as "gamefish" to end the commercial fishing of the species (first paragraph of their letter in the original post) not to keep them from being taken by bow. As for as "Outlaws" they fish with rods and reels also. And lastly to mediumheavy. They are regulated and can only bag 5.
GREAT! Can you distinguish a 16" redfish from a 15" one while you're makin' up your mind whether to shoot it...or not?
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 04-03-2010, 09:55 AM
eman eman is offline
Swordfish
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Baton Rouge
Posts: 6,033
Cash: 356
Default can you

No salty , I have not bow fished enough to tell 15" fro 16", That's why i don't shoot if it's close. But It's NOTHING like shooting a deer in a spot light! Deer freeze when blinded by a spot light offering a stationary target.
Red fish run from the lights and the boat.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 04-03-2010, 10:08 AM
eman eman is offline
Swordfish
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Baton Rouge
Posts: 6,033
Cash: 356
Default

When i went to the meetings about the reduction in that area . I sat and listened to the state biologist give his statement and never heard him say the spr was to low. What i heard him say was that reducing the limit to 15 wouldnt help the fisherie nor would it hurt the fisherie. and that he could find no bilogical or scientific reason to reduce the limits .
CCA won that one and they admitted that it was something THEY thought should be done ( made them feel good ).
Mr. drost ,You and i both Know fight for the reduction in limits was brought on and incited by the pictures of them texas boys coming over here and rapeing the big trout.
They didn't need La. guides or have to spend any money in La. except launch fees. Everyone on the lake hated it.
That is the true reason this all got started and the reason that cca only polled members around that area .
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 04-03-2010, 10:15 AM
Salty's Avatar
Salty Salty is offline
Great White
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: LA
Posts: 25,447
Cash: 3,191
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by eman View Post
No salty , I have not bow fished enough to tell 15" fro 16", That's why i don't shoot if it's close. But It's NOTHING like shooting a deer in a spot light! Deer freeze when blinded by a spot light offering a stationary target.
Red fish run from the lights and the boat.
Bob, since I've never bowfished and never plan to, I'm neither fer nor agin it as a 'sport'. As long as it stays within the laws.....I say enjoy it. However, once that juvenile red is shot.....there's no bringin' it back, unlike catchin' it with a rod 'n' reel.

As far as distinguishin' the size of a fish within an inch.....I doubt even a seasoned veteran could do it within the time that he is allowed to make a shot. My only concern would be......how often is he off, say 1/2"? You have a dead 15 1/2" red that you cant "legally" keep.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 04-03-2010, 10:18 AM
Salty's Avatar
Salty Salty is offline
Great White
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: LA
Posts: 25,447
Cash: 3,191
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by eman View Post
When i went to the meetings about the reduction in that area . I sat and listened to the state biologist give his statement and never heard him say the spr was to low. What i heard him say was that reducing the limit to 15 wouldnt help the fisherie nor would it hurt the fisherie. and that he could find no bilogical or scientific reason to reduce the limits .
CCA won that one and they admitted that it was something THEY thought should be done ( made them feel good ).
Mr. drost ,You and i both Know fight for the reduction in limits was brought on and incited by the pictures of them texas boys coming over here and rapeing the big trout.
They didn't need La. guides or have to spend any money in La. except launch fees. Everyone on the lake hated it.
That is the true reason this all got started and the reason that cca only polled members around that area .
I agree with that..........one pic, in particular.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 04-03-2010, 11:31 AM
Jo-boater's Avatar
Jo-boater Jo-boater is offline
Flounder
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: New Iberia, LA
Posts: 279
Cash: 543
FlagUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray View Post
When I got the email, I was kinda pizzed, until I read the whole thing.
For years, I bow hunted Garfish, nothing else. From the looks of the email header,
I thought they were going to try to stop bow hunting fish. Garfish are a dime a
dozen in South La.
What needs to be done if it doesn't pass, is start writing tickets for bow fishermen
who kill undersized fish. If they are not sure of the size, then don't shoot it.
Start writing up the guides who let them shoot undersized fish, or release legal fish
that have been shot.
I know it is hard to check on everyone who is fishing, but if no one gets punished,
what is to stop them from doing it over and over.
I believe you hit the nail on the head. If everyone stays within their limits that we are supposed to be able to keep, then it shouldn't matter how we get the fish. It is hard to regulate, but the goofballs that are shooting the undersized fish and throwing them away to die are still going to shoot them when they are out bowfishing other species. They are the ones that need to be penalized, not the guy who is legally taking his game.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 04-03-2010, 12:58 PM
Loneshark Loneshark is offline
Tripletail
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Lafayette
Posts: 548
Cash: 1,193
Default

Salty, from listening to most reports the slot that they look for when bowfishing reds are 18" - 25". So they don't have to guess about the half inch scenario you gave. Another sport that I don't participate in is deer hunting but apogee of people and from time to time a spike gets shot because they were misidentified as a doe. So does that mean they should only allow hunting deer during either sex seasons? How many woodducks get shot during teal season?should they put an end to teal season to protect the woodducks?
It Is the person hunting and some case the guides to make sure they are confident they are making the right decision. If the problem is outlaw. Then that needs to be dealt with but there are plenty of outlaws that use rods and reels also.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 04-03-2010, 01:07 PM
Gerald Gerald is offline
Sailfish
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Lake Charles / Moss Bluff
Posts: 4,636
Cash: 3,965
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by eman View Post
When i went to the meetings about the reduction in that area . I sat and listened to the state biologist give his statement and never heard him say the spr was to low. What i heard him say was that reducing the limit to 15 wouldnt help the fisherie nor would it hurt the fisherie. and that he could find no bilogical or scientific reason to reduce the limits .
CCA won that one and they admitted that it was something THEY thought should be done ( made them feel good ).
Mr. drost ,You and i both Know fight for the reduction in limits was brought on and incited by the pictures of them texas boys coming over here and rapeing the big trout.
They didn't need La. guides or have to spend any money in La. except launch fees. Everyone on the lake hated it.
That is the true reason this all got started and the reason that cca only polled members around that area .
Best post......I have seen in a long time.
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 04-03-2010, 01:16 PM
Salty's Avatar
Salty Salty is offline
Great White
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: LA
Posts: 25,447
Cash: 3,191
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loneshark View Post
Salty, from listening to most reports the slot that they look for when bowfishing reds are 18" - 25". So they don't have to guess about the half inch scenario you gave. Another sport that I don't participate in is deer hunting but apogee of people and from time to time a spike gets shot because they were misidentified as a doe. So does that mean they should only allow hunting deer during either sex seasons? How many woodducks get shot during teal season?should they put an end to teal season to protect the woodducks?
It Is the person hunting and some case the guides to make sure they are confident they are making the right decision. If the problem is outlaw. Then that needs to be dealt with but there are plenty of outlaws that use rods and reels also.
Well, if that's the case, it should be much easier to stay within the limits of the law.....if that is one's intent. Like I said, bowfishing is not an interest of mine and, if it's done legally, I have nothing against it.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:51 AM.



Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - [ARG:3 UNDEFINED], Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vB.Sponsors
vBCredits v1.4 Copyright ©2007 - 2008, PixelFX Studios
SaltyCajun.com logo provided by Bryce Risher

All content, images, designs, and logos are Copyright © 2009-2012,
Salty Cajun, LLC
No unathorized use is permitted
Geo Visitors Map