SaltyCajun.com http://www.matrixshad.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion

Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion Discuss inshore fishing, tackle, and tactics here!

LMC Marine
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-03-2012, 04:06 PM
"W"'s Avatar
"W" "W" is offline
Catch fish in DA face!!
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Big Lake LA
Posts: 32,974
Cash: 7,729
Default 15 Trout Limit Discussion PUBLIC

This is not about Politics or Religion

This is about an Epic fail on our lake and needs to be talked about
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-03-2012, 04:17 PM
Smalls Smalls is offline
King Mackeral
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: South Central LA
Posts: 2,822
Cash: 3,848
Default

Completely agree, Waltrip. Those studies you refered to before, any where I could find them to check em out? I've never come across them in all my broad researching I've done.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-03-2012, 04:21 PM
"W"'s Avatar
"W" "W" is offline
Catch fish in DA face!!
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Big Lake LA
Posts: 32,974
Cash: 7,729
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smalls View Post
Completely agree, Waltrip. Those studies you refered to before, any where I could find them to check em out? I've never come across them in all my broad researching I've done.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk
you can search LSUed Speckle trout telemetry
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-03-2012, 04:32 PM
"W"'s Avatar
"W" "W" is offline
Catch fish in DA face!!
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Big Lake LA
Posts: 32,974
Cash: 7,729
Default

Here is some more info

I will be making banners and signs to place at the landing soon to contact the CCA and other leaders that until proven other wise we want our 25 Trout limits back

http://www.seagrantfish.lsu.edu/reso...2008/10-08.htm
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-03-2012, 04:35 PM
Smalls Smalls is offline
King Mackeral
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: South Central LA
Posts: 2,822
Cash: 3,848
Default

Cool deal. Have to check it out sometime.

Anyway, the point I was trying to make before, and as I've stated, I am not trying to argue with you or say you don't know what you're talking about, but going off of my background in ecology, there are too many variables that say if you too everything away from those fish, or you increased that population past its K, fish are going to move out of the system. Telemetry studies only tell you so much, and most telemetry studies do not tag every individual. I completely agree with you, there are a LOT of fish out there. But nature has a way of balancing itself.
I understand these fish will live in this system all their life, but those telemetry studies show how fish move based on salinity. Who can argue that they will not do that in response to a food shortage. No one, because 1) we don't know what constitutes a food shortage for trout, and as you have noted, on a calm day the lake is alive with bait fish, and 2) we just don't know how they would respond to a shortage because as far as I can tell, we have not experienced such an event because it is an open system and bait fish will move in and out.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-03-2012, 04:35 PM
Salty's Avatar
Salty Salty is offline
Great White
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: LA
Posts: 25,447
Cash: 3,291
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by "W" View Post
This is not about Politics or Religion

This is about an Epic fail on our lake and needs to be talked about
You can talk about it all you want. There's an old saying that goes..."The squeaky wheel gets the grease", but, I think the bearings are gonna dry up in this case. For the sake of assumption, let's assume that the law was an "epic fail", although, there's no facts to prove this theory. Do you really think the powers that be are going to admit their mistake by overturning their decision? How can you say that this is not about "politics" when you've used that as your platform all along.....politics and money?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-03-2012, 04:37 PM
"W"'s Avatar
"W" "W" is offline
Catch fish in DA face!!
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Big Lake LA
Posts: 32,974
Cash: 7,729
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty View Post
You can talk about it all you want. There's an old saying that goes..."The squeaky wheel gets the grease", but, I think the bearings are gonna dry up in this case. For the sake of assumption, let's assume that the law was an "epic fail", although, there's no facts to prove this theory. Do you really think the powers that be are going to admit their mistake by overturning their decision? How can you say that this is not about "politics" when you've used that as your platform all along.....politics and money?
Its not a Political Discussion its a EPIC FAIL and we need to change this
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-03-2012, 04:39 PM
Salty's Avatar
Salty Salty is offline
Great White
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: LA
Posts: 25,447
Cash: 3,291
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by "W" View Post
Its not a Political Discussion its a EPIC FAIL and we need to change this
Well, what exactly do you think needs to happen for it to be changed? I doubt seriously catching 45 trout without a 5 lber is gonna carry much weight.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-03-2012, 04:47 PM
"W"'s Avatar
"W" "W" is offline
Catch fish in DA face!!
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Big Lake LA
Posts: 32,974
Cash: 7,729
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smalls View Post
Cool deal. Have to check it out sometime.

Anyway, the point I was trying to make before, and as I've stated, I am not trying to argue with you or say you don't know what you're talking about, but going off of my background in ecology, there are too many variables that say if you too everything away from those fish, or you increased that population past its K, fish are going to move out of the system. Telemetry studies only tell you so much, and most telemetry studies do not tag every individual. I completely agree with you, there are a LOT of fish out there. But nature has a way of balancing itself.
I understand these fish will live in this system all their life, but those telemetry studies show how fish move based on salinity. Who can argue that they will not do that in response to a food shortage. No one, because 1) we don't know what constitutes a food shortage for trout, and as you have noted, on a calm day the lake is alive with bait fish, and 2) we just don't know how they would respond to a shortage because as far as I can tell, we have not experienced such an event because it is an open system and bait fish will move in and out.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

Well i know this...I fish over 100 days a year and when I fish I always locate bait so unless our fish or dumb, blind and have zero instinct I know for a fact we dont have lack of food

One thing I have learned is dont over think a easy problem...you can use the moon, sun, stars ,rain ,wind or even how it hangs in the mourning but its not that hard of a problem.

What has changed ??
1)2005 Hurricane

2)2006 Trout Limit to 15

what could cause a problem?
Hurricane? Blew our levees at Grand and Lambert bayou and trout and redfish population exploded to record numbers the next few years
NO REPORTS of any type of fish kills
Lake was loaded with bait and had a huge shrimp bloom
My data books have 2006-2007-2008 my largest numbers of fish caught thus far

Limit change?
Still catch larger number or trout
Still have tons of bait and shrimp
Lack of big trout vs pre limit change


We have had real wet years and real dry years and all my books show me catching close to the same numbers of fish each month from year to year....with some months i have fished more days than other due to weather

We have 60 foot ship channel that could be holding all the larger trout and no one is catching them.....??
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-03-2012, 04:49 PM
Montauk17's Avatar
Montauk17 Montauk17 is offline
Great White
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Lafayette,LA
Posts: 10,803
Cash: 2,638
Default

One thread wasn't enough?
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 06-03-2012, 04:49 PM
Smalls Smalls is offline
King Mackeral
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: South Central LA
Posts: 2,822
Cash: 3,848
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty View Post
Well, what exactly do you think needs to happen for it to be changed? I doubt seriously catching 45 trout without a 5 lber is gonna carry much weight.
No, but if you can prove that you need to be catching 75 trout instead of 45 for the sake of the health of the system, that SHOULD carry a lot of weight. SHOULD because sound ecological knowledge is hard to come by without the proper monetary support, and because not all will listen to sound ecological knowledge.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 06-03-2012, 04:50 PM
SULPHITE's Avatar
SULPHITE SULPHITE is offline
Entering A World of Pain
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Sulphur
Posts: 10,287
Cash: 8,955
Default

if this needs to go public lol then you need to post on the "other" site....oh wait you can't......
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 06-03-2012, 04:55 PM
longcast's Avatar
longcast longcast is offline
King Mackeral
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: lake charles la
Posts: 2,860
Cash: 2,150
Default

Lmao.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 06-03-2012, 04:59 PM
Salty's Avatar
Salty Salty is offline
Great White
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: LA
Posts: 25,447
Cash: 3,291
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smalls View Post
No, but if you can prove that you need to be catching 75 trout instead of 45 for the sake of the health of the system, that SHOULD carry a lot of weight. SHOULD because sound ecological knowledge is hard to come by without the proper monetary support, and because not all will listen to sound ecological knowledge.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

But...he can't and neither can anyone else.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 06-03-2012, 05:00 PM
jchief's Avatar
jchief jchief is offline
Calcasieu Extreme Rods
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Carlyss, America
Posts: 10,371
Cash: 12,726
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SULPHITE View Post
if this needs to go public lol then you need to post on the "other" site....oh wait you can't......

This is a private site. Whether we like it or not. It is a buisness.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 06-03-2012, 05:00 PM
Salty's Avatar
Salty Salty is offline
Great White
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: LA
Posts: 25,447
Cash: 3,291
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montauk17 View Post
One thread wasn't enough?
More to come...I'm sure.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 06-03-2012, 05:03 PM
Salty's Avatar
Salty Salty is offline
Great White
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: LA
Posts: 25,447
Cash: 3,291
Default

W, you can't even keep a thread from going under...how you expect to get this limit reversed?
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 06-03-2012, 05:08 PM
"W"'s Avatar
"W" "W" is offline
Catch fish in DA face!!
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Big Lake LA
Posts: 32,974
Cash: 7,729
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SULPHITE View Post
if this needs to go public lol then you need to post on the "other" site....oh wait you can't......
U Mad..........Must be the one who is butthurt because your padna's made the Biggest EPIC FAIL In fishing history and it back fired in there face and every person who dont spend all week in a office knows this
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 06-03-2012, 05:10 PM
Smalls Smalls is offline
King Mackeral
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: South Central LA
Posts: 2,822
Cash: 3,848
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty View Post
But...he can't and neither can anyone else.
My point exactly. Not bashing on Waltrip, just stating that no one has the evidence to back it up, now or when it was originally changed.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 06-03-2012, 05:12 PM
"W"'s Avatar
"W" "W" is offline
Catch fish in DA face!!
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Big Lake LA
Posts: 32,974
Cash: 7,729
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty View Post
But...he can't and neither can anyone else.
So why did they change it???


Lets see....O because Some guys got butthurt over some big trout pics and need a reason to go to Baton Rouge to cry so the 15 limit using Texas water with bad estuary's info to compare to our great fishery
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:01 AM.



Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - [ARG:3 UNDEFINED], Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vB.Sponsors
vBCredits v1.4 Copyright ©2007 - 2008, PixelFX Studios
SaltyCajun.com logo provided by Bryce Risher

All content, images, designs, and logos are Copyright © 2009-2012,
Salty Cajun, LLC
No unathorized use is permitted
Geo Visitors Map