SaltyCajun.com https://www.facebook.com/CalcasieuExtremeRods

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hobby Forums > The Roux (Cooking/BBQ/Recipes)

The Roux (Cooking/BBQ/Recipes) What good is a cajun site without a cooking and recipe forum?

Old 08-09-2014, 04:44 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,124
Default Canned Fig Preserves.

Wasn't sure to put this herre or in the garden thread, but since we canned them I decided that's cooking. This is what we did:

And this is how complete with a video starring goofy ole me.

http://cappyandpegody.blogspot.com/2...-preserve.html
Old 08-09-2014, 04:48 PM
The Camp Cook....

Cash: 13,844

Man I love those things. 2 cold figs on a hot cat head biscuit.... That's good stuff.

Thanks for posting that Cappy. Brought back some good memories of me and my grandmother and great grandmother in the kitchen.

I used to help them all the time when I was a kid. What I would give to have one more day with them.
Old 08-09-2014, 05:35 PM
Red Snapper

Do like us dude. drag out one of those time honored traditions and do it your self. Rest assured as the jars tink I can feel the presence of my Mon and grand ma and almost hear them fussing at me as they back door can. Try it you will never feel so close to them as when you enact simple tasks like canning.
Old 08-09-2014, 06:02 PM
Ling

Cash: 3,542

I've cooked my weight in figs with my great grandfather and my grandma. Sadly after he passed, they cut down his fig tree. I remember taking the preserves and spreading that on some Pilsbiry pie crust basted with a butter and cinnamon mixture. Sort of like a fig newton.
Old 08-09-2014, 06:20 PM
Red Snapper

Mat find a celeste brown fig tree. Das the kind most people have in their yard. if ya cant buy a lil plant(heck they sell em at walmart) Stick a branch of one in the ground and water it. They grow fast and make figs in the next year. If you don't cary on these family traditions who will??
Old 08-09-2014, 06:24 PM
The Camp Cook....

When is the best time to plant one Cappy?

I just picked out the perfect spot in my yard.

After my grandparents passed, their home was sold and that was the end of the figs.
Old 08-09-2014, 06:35 PM
Red Snapper

I am sure one of the ole gardeners can answer that better than me. Fig trees are tough the only thing ya gotta watch is they can freeze when they small so ya gotta wrap em or throw a blanket over them till they get bigger. Stick them in the ground they grow. February might give them a good start and lots of time to grow till next winter but I think the best time to plant one is when ya got one to plant
Old 08-09-2014, 06:53 PM
The Camp Cook....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cappy View Post
I am sure one of the ole gardeners can answer that better than me. Fig trees are tough the only thing ya gotta watch is they can freeze when they small so ya gotta wrap em or throw a blanket over them till they get bigger. Stick them in the ground they grow. February might give them a good start and lots of time to grow till next winter but I think the best time to plant one is when ya got one to plant
Understood....
Old 08-09-2014, 06:54 PM
Redfish

Cash: 899

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluechip View Post
When is the best time to plant one Cappy?

I just picked out the perfect spot in my yard.

After my grandparents passed, their home was sold and that was the end of the figs.
I would imagine the spring time would be best, that way it'll have no harsh winter to weather for almost a year rather than a couple months.
Old 08-09-2014, 06:56 PM
The Camp Cook....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjethro85 View Post
I would imagine the spring time would be best, that way it'll have no harsh winter to weather for almost a year rather than a couple months.
Thanks.... I just posted in the gardening section before I saw your reply.
Old 08-09-2014, 08:08 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,354

I put them in a pot and put the pot in an old pan and keep water in the pan . You can do it now and after winter plant it where you want. Another way is to bend a branch to the ground and put some dirt on it . After 6 months or so it will be making roots on the branch, just cut n plant.
Old 08-09-2014, 08:41 PM
Ling

Cash: 3,542

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cappy View Post
Mat find a celeste brown fig tree. Das the kind most people have in their yard. if ya cant buy a lil plant(heck they sell em at walmart) Stick a branch of one in the ground and water it. They grow fast and make figs in the next year. If you don't cary on these family traditions who will??
Yessir!! I already have ther perfect spot picked out in my yard for one. I used to hate figs, but ol Pop made me eat a few while we picked and eventually I came to love them. Same thing with turnips. He would bribe me with homemade fudge..... "Neg, take a good bite and Pop gonna break you a piece of fudge." I sure do miss em!
Old 08-10-2014, 08:28 AM
Ling

Cash: 1,584

Matt, figs tie me to my grand parents as well........Cappy those figs look great......
there is much information out there, but we are lucky LSU is one of the leading fig research universitys around........

at rural life facility, LSU has literally dozens of varieties planted some with trunks that are 12 inches and more!!

one mistake I made was, although small trees like water......once larger.....they do not like "wet feet"

Plant in well drained area, but keep them well watered the fist year...\

then Like capp said, also keep the freeze off the first year.......and if you really want production, take the first years figs off as soon as the come out.....let the plant use all it resources for roots the first year
Old 08-10-2014, 09:13 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,959

I made some preserves a couple of weeks ago. Also made some fig tarts with it. Nothing better!!!
Old 08-23-2014, 01:54 PM
Red Snapper

Big ole cat head biscuits dripping with butter, put in a big ole spoon of figs and a bit of sharp cheese, kinda like the old commodity cheese. Took a bite and almost got tears in my eyes instantly remembering a simpler time. Ma ya talk about good.
Old 08-23-2014, 06:51 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,364

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt G View Post
I've cooked my weight in figs with my great grandfather and my grandma. Sadly after he passed, they cut down his fig tree. I remember taking the preserves and spreading that on some Pilsbiry pie crust basted with a butter and cinnamon mixture. Sort of like a fig newton.
we did that also. man, untill we moved to N.O. when i was 7, i didn't know there was any other type of preserves. good memories! i bet i ate a million raw figs.