SaltyCajun.com http://www.jerrys-marine.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion

Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion Discuss inshore fishing, tackle, and tactics here!

LMC Marine

Old 04-10-2016, 07:47 PM
Ling

Cash: 3,167

Quote:
Originally Posted by keakar View Post
when releasing crabs after tagging, is it best to spread them around or put them back right where they are caught?

I ask because, if caught in relatively confined areas, I wouldn't think they would go anywhere other then that area.

also, to be honest, how far do crabs go in general? aren't they pretty much sedentary creatures?
Bruh, just throw it in the cooler or place it back where you caught it They are tracking movements. If you place it somewhere else after you catch it, that isn't natural
Old 04-10-2016, 08:43 PM
Sand Trout

Cash: 407

Quote:
but how could you tag it so it wouldn't prevent the crab from escaping the discarded shell? I would think anything that stays connected to the inner crab would keep them connected to the old shell wouldn't it?

and of course if I ever caught anything tagged I would absolutely turn it in along with whatever info I could give about it.

I was speaking that if I caught one to put a tag on it and release it, in terms of my own greed and love for crabs, its hard to throw one back even though that's being greedy
There are several types of tags that are inserted into the muscle, through one of the joints where the old shell splits. They look a bit like plastic spaghetti printed with small text. They have a t-shaped barb on one end that hold them in the muscle, so when the crab molts the old shell splits around it, and the crab is able to escape, while keeping the tag. These types of tags aren't as visible, though, and are not as fast to attach to the crab.
Old 04-10-2016, 08:46 PM
Sand Trout

Quote:
when releasing crabs after tagging, is it best to spread them around or put them back right where they are caught?

I ask because, if caught in relatively confined areas, I wouldn't think they would go anywhere other then that area.

also, to be honest, how far do crabs go in general? aren't they pretty much sedentary creatures?
We are trying to release the crabs close to where they were caught, at least within a quarter mile or so. We're trying not to move them artificially, so to just drop them back where they came from.

Females can actually migrate over 2 miles a day when they are on their way offshore to spawn, so when they want to move they can go a long way. This is part of what we're trying to look at with this study- how far do they move, when do they move, and where are they going?

Last edited by NichollsCrabTags; 04-10-2016 at 09:08 PM.
Old 04-10-2016, 08:47 PM
Sand Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltysully View Post
If i catch any, I'll take a picture and release to further your research.
Thanks, saltysully. If you could release it where you caught it, that would be best for our research. We appreciate the help, and hopefully you'll catch one soon. We've only tagged a couple hundred so far, but will be tagging over 10,000 within the next couple years in Louisiana, and about 30,000 across the Gulf.

Last edited by NichollsCrabTags; 04-10-2016 at 09:07 PM.
Old 04-11-2016, 07:30 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,852

it just seams they have no chance to get away since you could almost literally walk across the water on the crab trap floats they have so many out there. where I crab there are no less then 100 traps all around me and I have to watch so I don't run over floats as I try to crab, and that's in a 40 ft wide canal only about 2 miles long.

im as anti regulation as they come but it seams the crab traps outnumber the crabs in most areas and I believe there needs to be "some" reduction in the numbers of traps allowed for commercials per license. I think the large reductions of numbers of crabs caught in the last 15 years are a direct result from commercial overfishing to the point commercials need to run hundreds more traps then they did before to catch the same numbers and recreationals have trouble going catch crabs with the family in areas where that never happened.

I think if you want to see a damaged crabbing fishery that needs urgent monitoring, you should put a lot of resources into looking at the lake ponchartrain crab fishery.
Old 04-11-2016, 07:42 PM
Red Snapper

where can we go to get more info and maybe join up to be part of the tagging?
Old 04-12-2016, 01:08 AM
Sand Trout

Quote:
it just seams they have no chance to get away since you could almost literally walk across the water on the crab trap floats they have so many out there. where I crab there are no less then 100 traps all around me and I have to watch so I don't run over floats as I try to crab, and that's in a 40 ft wide canal only about 2 miles long.
You may be right- that's part of what we're trying to determine.

Quote:
where can we go to get more info and maybe join up to be part of the tagging?
We're working on a website for the project at http://www.nicholls.edu/blue-crabs/. We're still adding information, so should have more content soon. We are also working on a map for the website that will show locations where crabs were initially tagged and where they were recaptured (for tagged crabs that have been caught), but this is taking a bit longer than expected- we've been focusing on getting crabs tagged so have slowed down the work on the website.

If you're interested in helping with the tagging, there's an email address to contact us on the website. Right now, we are mostly working with commercial crabbers to tag the crabs, but we are always looking for additional people to help out, especially in areas where we aren't currently tagging.
Old 04-12-2016, 03:53 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,571

I bet there are a few that would mount it! LOL

Great work Nicholls!
Old 04-13-2016, 08:42 AM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by NichollsCrabTags View Post
You may be right- that's part of what we're trying to determine.

We're working on a website for the project at http://www.nicholls.edu/blue-crabs/. We're still adding information, so should have more content soon. We are also working on a map for the website that will show locations where crabs were initially tagged and where they were recaptured (for tagged crabs that have been caught), but this is taking a bit longer than expected- we've been focusing on getting crabs tagged so have slowed down the work on the website.

If you're interested in helping with the tagging, there's an email address to contact us on the website. Right now, we are mostly working with commercial crabbers to tag the crabs, but we are always looking for additional people to help out, especially in areas where we aren't currently tagging.
great, I think it would be even more important or at least very important, to get the word out first before too much tagging is done so tags are not wasted and the public gets the word about this and what to do if they find one.

it would be ashamed for tags to be discarded simply from people not knowing what to do or what it means since I am presuming most tagging efforts get a small percentage of reported catches anyway.

I know this is all new and your just getting started but a top priority I think should be to contact paul masson and other outdoors reporters to get articles published informing the public?
Old 04-13-2016, 09:12 AM
Ling

Quote:
great, I think it would be even more important or at least very important, to get the word out first before too much tagging is done so tags are not wasted and the public gets the word about this and what to do if they find one.

it would be ashamed for tags to be discarded simply from people not knowing what to do or what it means since I am presuming most tagging efforts get a small percentage of reported catches anyway.

I know this is all new and your just getting started but a top priority I think should be to contact paul masson and other outdoors reporters to get articles published informing the public?

The entire point of this post is to inform the public
Old 04-13-2016, 12:55 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 3,427

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck Butter View Post

We thinks alike
Old 04-13-2016, 04:31 PM
Red Snapper

Quote:
well duh.......

but whats wrong with suggesting other ways to get the word out?

I care about this issue and haven't seen any articles about it in the paper, any magazines, or other websites.

this site is great but it isn't like all sportsmen see what is posted on here but if paul masson did an article on it, then it would
Old 04-13-2016, 05:32 PM
The Camp Cook....

Cash: 13,842

Quote:
well duh.......

I care about this issue and haven't seen any articles about it in the paper, any magazines, or other websites.

this site is great but it isn't like all sportsmen see what is posted on here but if paul masson did an article on it, then it would
Who is Paul Masson...
Old 04-13-2016, 05:43 PM
Ling

Quote:
well duh.......

Saw it on LAS already. But there is a giant red tag on the crab with a contact number and a $5 reward. Don't think they need to rent billboards up and down i10 brotato chip
Old 04-13-2016, 07:44 PM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluechip View Post
Who is Paul Masson...
I meant Todd Masson, got the name messed up

Quote:
Saw it on LAS already. But there is a giant red tag on the crab with a contact number and a $5 reward. Don't think they need to rent billboards up and down i10 brotato chip
that only covers the reporting side of it after catch, it does not cover getting the word out to get volunteers to tag crabs
Old 04-14-2016, 07:06 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 3,427

I think the easiest way to get the word out would be to post some signs at boat launches and have bait docks/crab factories where crabbers buy their bait post signs. Most crabbers aren't reading recreational articles on the internet.
Old 04-14-2016, 08:07 PM
Sand Trout

Thank you all for the advice regarding how best to get the word out.

We are not necessarily looking for more volunteers to help tag crabs, although if anyone is interested we may be able to use the help (depending on the location and specific circumstances), so let us know.

Instead, we are primarily interested in encouraging people to report the tagged once they are caught. As Duck Butter said, the tags are brightly colored and fairly visible, and contain all the necessary information to report the tags. We are trying to get the word out about the project, though. We've talked to the Crab Task Force and are posting flyers at crab docks, boat ramps, and bait shops.

But, we would appreciate any ideas for how best to increase awareness of the project. I will contact Todd Masson on Monday. If anyone has any suggestions for websites to contact or post on, we'd appreciate that information as well.
Old 04-14-2016, 09:37 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,461

I would recommend going to the launches or slips closest to the areas you release and personally introduce yourself to the local crabbed and tell them about your program. If you have some T-Shirts give them one, if you have a cold beer offer them one, you really need them onboard for this program to flourish.

These crabbers may be running traps spread over 10+ miles; the ideal situation is they record the closest landmark, call you with info and release the crab. (GPS location is unlikely)
The rest of the possible scenarios will depend upon their willingness to participate in the program.
If you have some female colleagues I would recommend bringing them to the launches/landings when you talk to crabbers.

Your project is very interesting, and I wish you the best of luck.