SaltyCajun.com http://www.mkacpas.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > The Tackle Box (Lures, Baits, Rigs)

The Tackle Box (Lures, Baits, Rigs) Discuss everything related to tackle here, including making your own

Old 06-21-2010, 02:07 PM
Ling

Cash: 1,338
Hairout Castaway ticks me off

So here's the follow up on my broken rod story.

I spent $25 shipping the thing back to castaway and was assured that they would replace it. Well I get a call this morning, Hello Mr. Warren this is ... with castaway. The way your rod broke isn't covered under warranty, but we can sell you a new one at half price if you would like to do that. So I ask how much and she says it retails for $269 so they will sell it to me for $135 plus the $25 for shipping, so $160. (Well I only pay $175 normally from Chag's.) So, rather than stir up the stink and try to argue I said fine and told them to ship the new rod. Well then about 45 minutes later I started thinking about it and said heck, Billy can probably take my parts(reel seat and titanium guides) from the broken one and build me a nice stick with them(I love the feel of the skeleton rod). So I call back and leave her a msg asking politely to send back my broken rod with the new order.

About 30 minutes later she calls back and says they can't do that because of the warranty. I said what warranty, I'm buying a new rod. Yall aren't warrantying anything. She said well we can't do that because we are sending you a new rod and you could keep sending back the broken one and getting a new rod. ???What??? Yall aren't warrantying it this time, why would I send it back in and yall warranty it that time. At this point she says well we are giving you a rod at half price. I said I can buy it from the guy I get it from all day for $175, so all your saving me is $15 and a trip to new orleans. Soo why can't you just give me my old rod back and I'll buy a new one.

Well sir we can't do that it's our warranty policy. So I said well can I just get my other rod back? She says no, all we can do is sell you a new one at half price. I said so I can't even get the other one back. She says well yea if you want it but we can't sell you one if you do and you'll have to pay the shipping back.

So I said, well just do that I'll get one from my dealer cuz I can get it for almost the same price.
Old 06-21-2010, 02:12 PM
Great White

Cash: 2,534

they aint got computers ??? Put a note in there.... (Already turned in broken rod) or they can mark it somehow..... that way they will know what to look for if you "return" it again.... people these days !!
Old 06-21-2010, 02:14 PM
Great White

Cash: 1,167

Tell them you are buying a different brand.
I had the same issues with All Star Rods.
The warranty looked good on paper, but in real life, it sux.
I hate learning from mistakes, but life goes on.
Now I know another brand that I will never buy.
Old 06-21-2010, 02:24 PM
Ling

Cash: 2,477

FF T.........
Check this guy out. He lives right up the road from you in Watson.

A.D's Rods & Reels
He's been building rods for many years. Pretty much all I use. I have probably 2 dozen of his rods. From 6' med hvy bass rods to 7'6" speck rods & 3 custom flyrods. I have a couple friends that I introduced to him that guide in Venice & thats all they use now are his rods. You'll be suprised at the price on a custom made rod. He's right by Live Oak Middle school. Give him a call & stop by & check him out. He's retired & all he does now. He repaired 2 broken Castaways about 10 years ago & my boys still use them.

A.D Welch 225-933-7955

Tell him Jeff Ramsay sent you.
Old 06-21-2010, 02:26 PM
Great White

Cash: 1,902

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtretrievers View Post
FF T.........

A.D's Rods & Reels
He's been building rods for many years. Pretty much all I use. I have probably 2 dozen of his rods. From 6' med hvy bass rods to 7'6" speck rods & 3 custom flyrods. I have a couple friends that I introduced to him that guide in Venice & thats all they use now are his rods. You'll be suprised at the price on a custom made rod. He's right by Live Oak Middle school. Give him a call & stop by & check him out. He's retired & all he does now. He repaired 2 broken Castaways about 10 years ago & my boys still use them.

A.D Welch 225-933-7955

I'll be ordering a new one soon from him.

FF T, that guy, makes the best custom rods that i know of. Awesome, and literally has the best custom rod price. Loved my custom rod from him....but apparently my tailgate loved it more
Old 06-21-2010, 02:27 PM
Ling

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtretrievers View Post
FF T.........

A.D's Rods & Reels

A.D Welch 225-933-7955

thanks I'm waiting to hear what billy can do since he is such a stand up guy on here. then I'll see about this guy. I believe I have heard of him before I think he does real good reel repair too if I'm not mistaken. didn't know he built rods though
Old 06-21-2010, 04:12 PM
Banned

Castaway gave natey 4 free skeletons in a row i think, he went in person.
Old 06-21-2010, 04:19 PM
Ling

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaAngler View Post
Castaway gave natey 4 free skeletons in a row i think, he went in person.
well I certainly ain't driving to montgomery, texas to get a rod. I just sent them a nice email about their business practices
Old 06-21-2010, 04:47 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Cash: 7,829

LMAO...That what yall get for messing with them big market dealers...... You could get a Waterloo made by good people for $200 and not have to worry about crap.... I broke a $250 rod wading...It cost me $50 for a brand new one....
Old 06-21-2010, 05:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by "W" View Post
LMAO...That what yall get for messing with them big market dealers...... You could get a Waterloo made by good people for $200 and not have to worry about crap.... I broke a $250 rod wading...It cost me $50 for a brand new one....
seems like the quality control suffers at times with them, i wouldn't buy another one without holding it first.

waterloo is basically just a production rod like any other. dont you just love rod threads....well this is the lightest, but this one is better, that one broke it sucks!
Old 06-21-2010, 05:16 PM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 5,316

buy an ugly stick the white ones or even better the glow ones slap a 5000 series spinning reel on it hold it upside down .......dats where it be
Old 06-21-2010, 05:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishinpox View Post
buy an ugly stick the white ones or even better the glow ones slap a 5000 series spinning reel on it hold it upside down .......dats where it be
hey man i had a heavy action ugly with a garcia 7000 on it back in the day, thing went to hell and back and is still in one piece!
Old 06-21-2010, 05:22 PM
Blue Marlin

Quote:
hey man i had a heavy action ugly with a garcia 7000 on it back in the day, thing went to hell and back and is still in one piece!

bring it to costa rica!!!! *****
Old 06-21-2010, 06:08 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Quote:
seems like the quality control suffers at times with them, i wouldn't buy another one without holding it first.

waterloo is basically just a production rod like any other. dont you just love rod threads....well this is the lightest, but this one is better, that one broke it sucks!

Good then sell me yours
Old 06-21-2010, 06:15 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Here is a few.....
Last one I took of a boat going to the WEIRS
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN1257paj.jpg (30.5 KB, 202 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9858.jpg (62.8 KB, 203 views)
File Type: jpg OH56MH-S_ima1.jpg (30.7 KB, 203 views)
File Type: jpg Rods.jpg (35.6 KB, 203 views)
Old 06-21-2010, 08:20 PM
Great White

Cash: 17,285

Those $50 American Rodsmith Split grip "APEX" rods are the best bang for the buck. I have 3 of them. Two for at least 2 years. They are light, great action, and cheap!
Old 06-21-2010, 09:08 PM
BIG MOUTH BASS!

Cash: 5,913

I went threw the Same crap with St. Croix rods, I'm getting Doug Blacklock to make me a new Kajun Limb rod for $145 its a spiral rod and he lives in central, sells his rods at Bowie Outfitters on Perkins road in Baton rouge, they are awesome rods and worth the money, very sensitive and light. you can check them out, Bowie's keeps them in stock so you wouldn't have to wait for one unless you want one made different than what he has at bowie's.
Old 06-21-2010, 09:14 PM
Blue Marlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPfishnTIM View Post
I went threw the Same crap with St. Croix rods, I'm getting Doug Blacklock to make me a new Kajun Limb rod for $145 its a spiral rod and he lives in central, sells his rods at Bowie Outfitters on Perkins road in Baton rouge, they are awesome rods and worth the money, very sensitive and light. you can check them out, Bowie's keeps them in stock so you wouldn't have to wait for one unless you want one made different than what he has at bowie's.

i just broke a st. croix rod 2 months ago i finally sent it in with a 25$ check for return shipping they will be sending me a new one around the 1st of july, i had no problems dealing with them they did call me and try to offer me a additional rod at highly dic=scounted price but i didnt take them up on it.

doug has also built me a rod. ne built me a topwater rod/ bridge fishing rod 6'6" mh fast tip w a short 7" splitgrip i love it very sensitive for fishing the bridges in p-train and stout enoughto work a plastic deep w/o compermising feel, it is also a great tw rod the short grip dosnt get in the way of my gut when working a plug with the rod tip down or to the side from a boat . you will be very happy with the kajun limb, i think it took him 3 weeks to build mine only because he special ordered the reelseat i wanted and the split grip i wanted .
Old 06-21-2010, 09:25 PM
Great White

Cash: 1,902

Quote:
Originally Posted by all star rod View Post
Those $50 American Rodsmith Split grip "APEX" rods are the best bang for the buck. I have 3 of them. Two for at least 2 years. They are light, great action, and cheap!

Me and the Apex's are about to become best friends.
Broke 2 rods in 2 weeks...

One I just have to laugh about...We in Toleda Shawn goes, how deep is it here? "hang on letme check! I feel to the bottom, SNAP, oh shat...that wasn't my rod! Shawn,"Yeah huh!"
Old 06-21-2010, 09:45 PM
BIG MOUTH BASS!

Cash: 5,913

I fish in a bass club with Doug, everyone in the club that has bought one or more has strongly recommended buying a KAJUN LIMB, I went to Doug's house and casted three different action rods in the pond by his house, then we went in his rod building room and he showed me different grips and rods that he built. I told him what I wanted and he is building it for me. I'm getting a 7ft mh rod with the eva foam split grip.