SaltyCajun.com http://www.lyonsagency.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 12-26-2009, 11:00 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,074

I am Glad your family is OK and no loss of life occurred.

I will keep you and your neighbors in my prayers this Christmas Season.

If you need Insurance claims advise, I am in the biz. Hit me up if needed.
Old 12-27-2009, 09:41 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 1,488

Thanks for all the repsonses guys, the crew of Saltycajun always comes through! We have had a long, long weekend, but as you can see, our internet service is back up and running. We had lots of help and have gotten a lot done. The list of thanks is too long to mention here, but I have to mention SLEMCO. Guys, there is no better power company then SLEMCO, bar none! Our neighborhood does not have power lines next to the streets, all of the service lines run in betweed the backyards of the homes, These guys worked almost around the clock on Christmas Eve, then got back on the trucks on Christmas Day, and last night at 6:30 they showed up to hook us back up at Duckaholic's water well. I told his wife to call them at 4:00 that we were ready for service to the new pole, and when dark hit, we figured it would be Sunday or Monday, they were there by 6:15 and done by 6:30.

Goldenrod's home has roof damage and lost his privacy fence, Duckaholic has roof damage and lots of property loss (sheds, dog kennels, barn, etc.). Ducktrickster and his wife have found a home to rent in Crowley until he can get started on a new build.

I will post some more pictures of the damage tommorrow and give you guys updates. I have never been so close to a tornado until that morning, and I hope we never have to again. It was very scary and the sights and sounds were simply crazy.
Old 12-27-2009, 09:47 AM
King Mackeral

Jude Dana's home and after a hard, long, emotional day - a cold longneck always helps! After that day, all we could do was laugh and talk about some good times. If you notice, Jude is the guy on the right, and this pic was taken at almost 5:00 pm. He is still in borrowed pajama bottoms! His boxers were sucked off of him when it hit. I will try to locate the picture of his bedroom to show where he was at when it hit. Not sure how nobody got killed on this deal, but glad it turned out ok.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Christmasevetornado 035.jpg (53.8 KB, 92 views)
File Type: jpg Christmasevetornado 045.jpg (88.7 KB, 94 views)
Old 12-27-2009, 12:42 PM
Banned

my goodness that is terrible! sorry to see this much damage occured

prayers sent for a fast recovery!
Old 12-27-2009, 01:19 PM
Westerly neighbor

Cash: 3,536

Can we do anything to help? Maybe put together some clothes or needed supplies, or donate some cash for them to buy things that are needed immediately? Let us know if there is a need to be filled.
Old 12-27-2009, 01:26 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,618

Fin, glad to see you and Trickster and the rest of your neighborhood is doing o.k.

My brother lives in the neighborhood towards the front and he said he never experienced anything like that before, and how fast the damage was done and then over!

He also commented on how fast everyone was there to help, truly in the spirit of the season!
Old 12-27-2009, 08:22 PM
King Mackeral

H2Ofwlklr- Who's your brother?

Shadman, unlike some democrats in New Orleans after Katrina, we pride ourselves on helping neighbors. All of the families that were left homeless are staying w/ family members and Ducktrickster has got a rent home that we will help get him set up this week. As far as I know, everyone has clothes, but of course they will have needs as the days go by and realize they don't have this or that. I will let them know that I can post on Saltycajun for needs as they arise.

They help from the community is remarkable. I spent 13 years working as a paramedic/firefighter and have seen alot of crap over the years. It was the first time I ever "witnessed" a tornado. The power was undescribable! I was in nothing but boxer shorts when I opened a window only to have my screen sucked out. The air in my brick home was sucked out like a giant vacumn cleaner was in the window. I immediately see the funnel cloud and it was an horrible black color. Almost immediately, I see different colors from the debris. I instantly knew it was debris from homes. I call to my 15 y/o to get clothes on so we can head out to look for victims. I get my Rhino out, throw in my chain saw and some hand tools and peel out within minutes of it touching down in the neighborhood. The first two homes I get to tell me they are ok, and don't need anything, although they had damage. I turn the curve from Attwood Drive to see Ducktrickster's home barely recognizeable. I could not even get to it via the Rhino. We exit the ATV and take off running on foot, to arrive to see both vehicles in the driveway, and I know they are home at the time it hit. His house is basically gone, but two bedrooms are still standing, although structually they are barely standing.

I enter through a blown out window, and have my 15y/o behind me. We are screaming their names, hoping for a response. But the response never comes and I am scared of two things- 1) not knowing what is safe to walk under and 2) not wanting my 15 to witness what I think may be waiting for us in this home. They have two small children and we are not getting a response from them at all. I was scared, like I have never been before.

About the time I am telling Holden to get back to the Rhino and bring it to me so I can go in w/ a saw, Brandi (Ducktrickster's wife) shows up behind me. She went out the window with the two little girls before I got there and brought them across the street. I was so relieved and we hugged but we were both shaking. Only then did I learn Ducktrickster was in the duck blind. My legs got weak knowing what they had been through and it started to sink in they had cheated the unthinkable.

Within minutes of this reunion, I hear the best sound one could hear at a time like this. It was sirens and I look out across the fields to see a line of emergency vehicles coming from town to help in the emergency. Within a 30 minute window, not only were emergency vehicles present, friends and family were showing up in large numbers. The APSO did what any agency would do, and closed the neighborhood in an attempt to keep the responding agency vehicles mobil. That didn't matter to our friends and family members, they were parking on Hwy 13 and walking in to the neighborhood to help.

I met one man named "George Stelly" and asked if he was related to the homeowner where we were located. He said, "no, I'm from the country south of Lyon Point. Heard they had a storm and some people needed help so I came".

A number of us made the comment numerous times since this incident. Simply put:

" I CAN THINK OF NO BETTER PLACE TO LIVE THAN HERE IN CAJUN COUNTRY"

Thanks to all that came out to help, thanks to all the responding agencies, and thanks to everyone here for your thoughts and prayers.
Old 12-27-2009, 08:28 PM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 5,316

let us know how we can help with rebuilding, clean up, ect.... like i said befor i got tools, tools, tools, and we got the salty cajun manpower i can cruise over from baton rouge and help yall with framing, roofing, fences, ectt. dont hesitate to ask ! glad to see yall are makin progress though!
Old 12-27-2009, 08:30 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,618

Fin, pm sent.
Old 12-27-2009, 09:24 PM
King Mackeral

Thanks guys, everyone is at a standstill right now. We got power back, got the roads clear, salvaged what could be salvaged from the homes. But now, everyone has to wait for the insurance companies to come do their thing before anyone can go any further.
Old 12-28-2009, 08:09 AM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 3,546

THe pics in post 24 says a lot about the character of the fine folks in S LA! Thank God everyone made it out ok. Thank God for good neighbors!

Again, as with so many others, let me know what I can do to be of assistance. I'm with Fishinpox on this one, it's a short ride to make for such a great cause.

If any of your neighbors have vehicle damage issues, feel free to drop me a line. I can walk them through the insurance process, locate parts, give estimates on repairs, whatever may be needed.

Again, thank God you guys are ok. A tornado is no laughing matter! I grew up with em in Oklahoma and don't miss em AT ALL!!!
Old 12-28-2009, 10:04 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 908

I can imagine what everybody is going through, especially after going through 2 floods in the last 5 years. Communities, families and friends in Louisiana are like no other anywhere the world. It seems as though the harder the times we fall on, the stronger everyone becomes and the more we pull together. I'm with everyone else, we should do something for the guys and their families that have been struck by this tragic event. Every little bit helps, it's the smallest things that can mean the most at times like this.