SaltyCajun.com http://www.acadianamarina.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 08-23-2013, 01:22 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 3,948
Default So long LC....Hello BR

Well, made the move today, tomorrow marks the first time in 18 years that I will not reside in Lake Charles. Start the new job Monday. New adventure for us.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I847 using Tapatalk 2
Old 08-23-2013, 06:29 AM
The Camp Cook....

Cash: 13,830

Congrats on the move and new adventure.
Old 08-23-2013, 06:38 AM
Ling

Cash: 505

Congrats man!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4
Old 08-23-2013, 06:45 AM
Ling

Cash: 3,167

Congrats on the new venture

traffic SUCKS
Old 08-23-2013, 06:59 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 3,728

Congrats man! Have fun
Old 08-23-2013, 07:10 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,084

Goodluck!
Old 08-23-2013, 07:41 AM
Redfish

Cash: 750
Wink

Good Luck!! Praying everything works out for you & the family!
Old 08-23-2013, 08:01 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 4,452

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smalls View Post
Well, made the move today, tomorrow marks the first time in 18 years that I will not reside in Lake Charles. Start the new job Monday. New adventure for us.

I'm sorry for your loss.

The fishing and the small town atmosphere in LC are really like nowhere else on earth. All the great outdoors stuff is so close, the food is awesome, and the folks are all friendly.

Baton Rouge was ok in the 1980s, but even then the really good food was more expensive and harder to find. Things gradually got worse (traffic, prices, crime, service) until 2005, when the Katrina refugees pushed the city off of the cliff.

Don't get me wrong, I'll take BR over any similarly sized city in the US, but it seems like Katrina brought many of the bad features of NO without the advantages, like the great food or the great service in the service industries.
Old 08-23-2013, 08:01 AM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck Butter View Post
Congrats on the new venture

traffic SUCKS
Lmao, way to be suttle.

Thanks fellas, looking forward to it. Got a whole new place to learn for hunting and fishing.

Old 08-23-2013, 09:51 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,424

When you get feeling froggy, you gotta jump.
Good luck with your new position.
Old 08-23-2013, 09:55 AM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 3,546

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathGeek View Post
I'm sorry for your loss.

The fishing and the small town atmosphere in LC are really like nowhere else on earth. All the great outdoors stuff is so close, the food is awesome, and the folks are all friendly.

Baton Rouge was ok in the 1980s, but even then the really good food was more expensive and harder to find. Things gradually got worse (traffic, prices, crime, service) until 2005, when the Katrina refugees pushed the city off of the cliff.

Don't get me wrong, I'll take BR over any similarly sized city in the US, but it seems like Katrina brought many of the bad features of NO without the advantages, like the great food or the great service in the service industries.
Now, MG, it's not polite or, politically correct to call them refugees. Jackson and, Sharpton made sure we all knew that!

Welcome to this side of the state, Smalls! I'm boiling shrimp in Gonzales tonight. If you and the family feel like making the short ride down, my family would be glad to have you over! It's only a 20 minute ride from BR.
Old 08-23-2013, 10:12 AM
King Mackeral

Well I will say that, I am working in Baton Rouge, not living. We live in Prairieville. I love it aalready. Went for a walk this morning and all I could hear was birds. Spooked a rabbit, and saw a bunch of deer tracks. I think I can get used to this.

Plus, as far as losing anything by moving from LC, I don't see it that way. Still have family there, and making a lot more money so I can afford to go back and fish and hunt when I want to, and visit family. I would hardly consider LC small town though. Been other places I would love to live that are definitely more small town. LC isn't exactly perfect in terms of the things you said. I've watched the trash slowly expand and take over. Hardly a school you can put your kids over there that doesn't have the riff Raff.

Thanks for the invite southern, we will have to gget together sometime. We are actually heading to Gueydan for the duck festival tonite though.

Old 08-23-2013, 10:24 AM
Sailfish

Cash: 826

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathGeek View Post
I'm sorry for your loss.

Please tell me what restaurants you are eating at. Its mostly mediocre chain restaurants here
Old 08-23-2013, 10:32 AM
Calcasieu Extreme Rods

Cash: 13,320

Congrats and good luck.
Old 08-23-2013, 11:00 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,502

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcjaredsandwich View Post
Please tell me what restaurants you are eating at. Its mostly mediocre chain restaurants here
haha yea i wanna know too
Old 08-23-2013, 11:15 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 680

Just finished a class for sql server and start another class next week here in BR. I haven't found a "good" place to eat here. Places to eat... yes. Good places to eat, NO. Boudreaux's Taco not too bad... finding most places are processed and are heat and eats.
Old 08-23-2013, 11:27 AM
Great White

Cash: 17,285

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smalls View Post
Well I will say that, I am working in Baton Rouge, not living. We live in Prairieville. I love it aalready. Went for a walk this morning and all I could hear was birds. Spooked a rabbit, and saw a bunch of deer tracks. I think I can get used to this.

Plus, as far as losing anything by moving from LC, I don't see it that way. Still have family there, and making a lot more money so I can afford to go back and fish and hunt when I want to, and visit family. I would hardly consider LC small town though. Been other places I would love to live that are definitely more small town. LC isn't exactly perfect in terms of the things you said. I've watched the trash slowly expand and take over. Hardly a school you can put your kids over there that doesn't have the riff Raff.

Thanks for the invite southern, we will have to gget together sometime. We are actually heading to Gueydan for the duck festival tonite though.

I live in Prairieville to....Quail Creek subdivision which is off hwy 42 like you are going toward the Amite River....been here since 2002. There is really nothing to do in BR....crime is bad, housing is over priced and traffic sucks but it did get a little better between Essen and Highland since the construction is complete. At least in Prairieville the public schools are pretty good but I am still sending my kids to private school. Good luck. Send me a PM is you have any questions about the area.
Old 08-23-2013, 11:56 AM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcjaredsandwich View Post
It's not just the restaurants, it's the higher quality food in the local markets, especially the seafood (JTs and Holly Beach). But our favorite restaurants in SW LA are Seafood Palace and T-Boys. We also think that the Popeyes are better in LC than in BR. Popeyes are a family favorite for chains.
Old 08-23-2013, 11:57 AM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by QUACKHEAD View Post
Just finished a class for sql server and start another class next week here in BR. I haven't found a "good" place to eat here. Places to eat... yes. Good places to eat, NO. Boudreaux's Taco not too bad... finding most places are processed and are heat and eats.
Ninfa's is the family favorite in BR.
Old 08-23-2013, 11:59 AM
Sailfish

Cash: 9,130

My wife makes me buy four 32 oz yogurts from Counter Culture when I am in BR.... just saying.