SaltyCajun.com http://louisianaofficesystems.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion

Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion Discuss inshore fishing, tackle, and tactics here!

LMC Marine

Old 04-27-2014, 10:22 PM
Redfish

Cash: -239

Quote:
Originally Posted by AubreyLaHaye458 View Post
There's enough bull**** on this thread, if you're not gonna contribute, move on please.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What you call bull**** is what I call making a point to someone that has no clue what the hell they're talking about. Appreciate your input.
Old 04-27-2014, 10:23 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 3,728

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickfish View Post
What you call bull**** is what I call making a point to someone that has no clue what the hell they're talking about. Appreciate your input.

Their bull**** is related to the topic at hand. You clearly only jumped in to tell W that you think he's wrong and offered absolutely zero input to the topic at hand. And you didn't make a point to anyone. Clearly.

Old 04-27-2014, 10:25 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,771

Quote:
Originally Posted by noodle creek View Post
I know there is enough food and fresh water between here and canada that the ole grey duck marsh behind the weirs shouldn't be a huge concern. That marsh gets much fresher there won't be too many greys in there. Ponds will close in with cattails and cut grass, and there won't be any open water period. Fly over lacassine refuge and tell me that's a healthy marsh that is great habitat. It was 5 years ago, now it is done for.
Boom ty

Sent from my LGL45C using Tapatalk 2
Old 04-27-2014, 10:35 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 2,087

Man all I have to say is I am really enjoying learning the perspectives on the marsh habitat it is a lot more to the story than I ever thought thanks guys for all this info I do believe that if all these perspectives could come together there could be a solution but it takes all sides and Smalls W math geek and the rest I appreciate the passion you guys out into this
Old 04-27-2014, 10:54 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 9,671

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smalls View Post
Again, I was referencing two seperate things. Someone said the NWR should account for fish as well. They do not manage fish, they manage ducks. The weirs are there to manage marsh habitat. If conditions aren't right to maintain the marsh, they close the weirs.

Why does laccasine do fish shocks and counts.... That's a nwr... Guess them coonasses ain't managing the fish they just shocking em 4 the hell of it

Old 04-27-2014, 10:55 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,090

Quote:
Originally Posted by "W" View Post
Who's facts are written in stone? How long do we wait for someone to set in stone a fact

Here are 100% true Facts
#1 we have serious erosion on the ship channel last year we lost super cut islands, Island south entrance of WC, major loss lake side by Texaco cut all this can be seen with eyes

#2 over oystering, the oyster fisherman will tell you the size and the numbers are at all time low this year. They drag for hours to fill a sack

#3 cutting off marsh supply stops your echo system from working naturally. Shrimp and bait fish use these marshes for the life cycle. When you cut out a piece if any cycles you cause damage to the system.

Wild Life and Fishers will not release the SPR #s to the public.
I just found out the reasons why yesterday from a close source.
You had me until #3. 2 out of 3 baby! We are making progress. I just think there are other steps that need to be taken first before the marsh can work "naturally". Then again, this is just my opinion.
Old 04-27-2014, 10:56 PM
King Mackeral

It's funny the old impoundment on the west side of the lake is now wide open... U know why quote straight out of wildlife and fisheries...we've accepted the fact it's now a saltwater marsh...

Old 04-27-2014, 10:57 PM
Tripletail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadams View Post
Why does laccasine do fish shocks and counts.... That's a nwr... Guess them coonasses ain't managing the fish they just shocking em 4 the hell of it

Rmfao

Old 04-27-2014, 10:58 PM
King Mackeral

And I kill the piss outa ducks rt across from it in a saltwater marsh for whoever said ducks don't like saltwater marshes....

Old 04-27-2014, 10:58 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,275

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallardhead View Post
Rmfao

Raffing my F*****g A** off?
Old 04-27-2014, 11:02 PM
King Mackeral

There's enough grass that grows in a brackish marsh for ducks...the weirs r a busted plan that's why the refuge doesn't control em

Old 04-27-2014, 11:03 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 4,452

Quote:
Originally Posted by noodle creek View Post
I understand, just confused on whether or not managing a marsh so that it doesn't erode and managing the same marsh for awesome duck habitat can coinside. Seems like there would need to be a little bit of salt water in the marsh. Is there a way to get saltwater to eastern side of the marsh, where everything is growing in, without having too much saltwater in the front of the marsh?
It depends on where exactly you mean. There's a lot of land back there. If you open the weirs more, you introduce the most salt closer to the weirs, and the salt decreases the further away from the weirs you get, so by the time you've got "just the right amount" of salt for your favorite marsh veg mix 3 miles away, you have too much salt at most points closer to the weirs.

Also consider the make-up of that marsh. Everyone wants their hunting spot to have perfect conditions. The eastern edge along 27, S of the ICWW had great duck conditions last fall and winter. We saw beaucoup ducks every time we drove 27 in the fall and winter. Sorry you missed them. Of course, we were fishing, heading back and forth to the jetties and beaches chasing bull reds. Getting permission to hunt closer to 27 might be easier than raising salinity in the spot you currently have access to.

If you want to raise the salinities closer to the ICWW, there are times when it has a bit of salt, though the salinity decreases quickly as you move toward Mermentau and away from the Calcasieu locks. In the area that moves SE, you can have salinities up to 20 ppt at times. Transfering that water into the marsh at the right times would increase salinities in the adjacent areas. (This is a scientific fact, it may not be a political possibility. The USACE and NWR peeps might have issues.) Once you get to the E-W stretch, salinity is much lower most of the time.

But I think the gradients in salinity and vegetation between the lake and 27 are OK. There is probably too much open water as a percentage of the overall land area. (See the attached photo). I don't think the science is on your side thinking you need more open water.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Calcasieu Lake East Side.jpg (47.3 KB, 167 views)
Old 04-27-2014, 11:04 PM
King Mackeral

Default Weirs Closed

I
Old 04-27-2014, 11:17 PM
Red Snapper

Unfortunately, the number of ducks you see along Hwy 27 is not always a good indicator as to how the duck season is going. I hunted just west of Boudreaux Lake and our hunting sucked last year as well as the people that hunted around us. Also, freakin duck leases are so hard to come by, you sometimes just have to take what you can get. Our side of the marsh has freshened up more and more over the last 3 years. I do know people that hunt further west, closer to Big Lake, and it's more brackish.
Old 04-27-2014, 11:23 PM
Tripletail

Quote:
Originally Posted by AceArcher View Post
Raffing my F*****g A** off?
Rolling

Old 04-27-2014, 11:34 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 4,452

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural Light Kid View Post
Unfortunately, the number of ducks you see along Hwy 27 is not always a good indicator as to how the duck season is going. I hunted just west of Boudreaux Lake and our hunting sucked last year as well as the people that hunted around us. Also, freakin duck leases are so hard to come by, you sometimes just have to take what you can get. Our side of the marsh has freshened up more and more over the last 3 years. I do know people that hunt further west, closer to Big Lake, and it's more brackish.
Do you mean how your duck season is going is not a good indicator of the quality of local habitat? There were more ducks along 27 than I'd ever seen in my life.

And my daddy had some sweet duck leases back in the 1970s. Judging the duck population by what you see when hunting is worse than judging the fish population by how many you catch. It just isn't a sound approach.

I remember being frustrated turkey hunting. All winter I'd see tons and tons of turkeys on a 100 acre farm where I had permission to hunt. Then the spring turkey season would roll around and they'd all disappear to some neighboring properties. The same thing happened my first few deer seasons until I adjusted the habitat and planted some food plots to keep them around during the season. But habitat adjustments don't create ducks (or deer), they just put them in the right place for convenient harvest. (Kinda like the artificial reefs CCA puts in). Our habitat improvements may have increased the carrying capacity by a handful of deer, but we killed 40-50 each year.

Now, it's not wrong to want to improve the habitat so the ducks land on your duck lease rather than somewhere else in the neighborhood. But I don't see why it's the government's job to do it for you, and they certainly shouldn't put other land at greater risk for erosion to improve your hunting.

I'd kinda like all the marsh and land to still be there when my grandchildren are old enough to hunt.
Old 04-28-2014, 12:30 AM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathGeek View Post
Do you mean how your duck season is going is not a good indicator of the quality of local habitat? There were more ducks along 27 than I'd ever seen in my life.

And my daddy had some sweet duck leases back in the 1970s. Judging the duck population by what you see when hunting is worse than judging the fish population by how many you catch. It just isn't a sound approach.

I remember being frustrated turkey hunting. All winter I'd see tons and tons of turkeys on a 100 acre farm where I had permission to hunt. Then the spring turkey season would roll around and they'd all disappear to some neighboring properties. The same thing happened my first few deer seasons until I adjusted the habitat and planted some food plots to keep them around during the season. But habitat adjustments don't create ducks (or deer), they just put them in the right place for convenient harvest. (Kinda like the artificial reefs CCA puts in). Our habitat improvements may have increased the carrying capacity by a handful of deer, but we killed 40-50 each year.

Now, it's not wrong to want to improve the habitat so the ducks land on your duck lease rather than somewhere else in the neighborhood. But I don't see why it's the government's job to do it for you, and they certainly shouldn't put other land at greater risk for erosion to improve your hunting.

I'd kinda like all the marsh and land to still be there when my grandchildren are old enough to hunt.
Sorry for the mix up. I was just stating that just because you see a lot of ducks along Hwy 27 doesn't mean the hunting is good in the surrounding marshes. In no way was I trying to relate my duck hunting to the health of the estuary. I agree with everything else you said. Biggest part of our problem was our particular section of marsh. That was our responsibility not the governments. I understand that a healthy marsh may not result in limits of ducks on our particular section as well as limits of fish everyday on the lake. It ain't a perfect world.
Old 04-28-2014, 05:42 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 3,948

Quote:
It's funny the old impoundment on the west side of the lake is now wide open... U know why quote straight out of wildlife and fisheries...we've accepted the fact it's now a saltwater marsh...

On the NWR? Again, LDWF wouldn't have anything to do with ththat because its federal land.
Old 04-28-2014, 05:44 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 3,948

Quote:
There's enough grass that grows in a brackish marsh for ducks...the weirs r a busted plan that's why the refuge doesn't control em

Who told you that? Because I was working for the state in the middle of all of that, and I can tell you the feds got sick of everyone complaining about them, so they got out. They just flat out dropped the operations and told everyone else involved to find someone else to operate the weirs.
Old 04-28-2014, 07:22 AM
Calcasieu Extreme Rods

Cash: 13,323

Someone please educate me. I thought I saw a sign on the weirs that it is owned by Cameron Parish something or other??