SaltyCajun.com https://www.facebook.com/CalcasieuExtremeRods

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 08-13-2011, 10:28 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,396
Default titling a homemade trailer?

has anyone titled a homemade trailer.i have a trailer and its in good shape but no serial numbers,has a few homemade mods to it so im just wondering how difficult it is to title it as a homemade trailer.read the requirements online and it said i need receipts but im just gonna say it was scrap material?
Old 08-13-2011, 11:16 PM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 2,192

You need a reciept for every piece if the trailer now a days.......used to be easier
Old 08-13-2011, 11:48 PM
Tripletail

well darn....any other options?
Old 08-14-2011, 12:16 AM
Sailfish

Cash: 2,464

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegr8cody View Post
well darn....any other options?
you live in Louisiana and title work is a jk to mess with, take your chances and pull it or go buy a new or used one. I have pulled trailers all over the state with no title or lights and so far no cop has bothered me
Old 08-14-2011, 08:19 AM
Tripletail

since its under 1500 lbs it doesnt have to be tagged just needs to be titled is that correct?
Old 08-14-2011, 02:10 PM
Sailfish

Quote:
since its under 1500 lbs it doesnt have to be tagged just needs to be titled is that correct?
I belive everything is titled the same here but you can call and ask or if you know someone out of state they may can get it done where they live then you get it retitled here. What do you plan on useing it for, how far do you want to haul it and such?
Old 08-14-2011, 02:17 PM
Ling

Cash: 4,258

Quote:
Originally Posted by weedeater View Post
you live in Louisiana and title work is a jk to mess with, take your chances and pull it or go buy a new or used one. I have pulled trailers all over the state with no title or lights and so far no cop has bothered me

They starting to crack down on that. dont push your luck, trust me I Know!!
Old 08-14-2011, 02:20 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 1,505

I had a small boat trailer that I didnt have the title for nor could I get it. State Police told me to get a homemade title for all the parts on it had to be new and not off of another trailer. Long story short I went home grapped a can of galvanized spraypaint painted the frame. Painted the fenders toolbox blue did something to the rims. Waited a week or two brought it back and had no problem.
Old 08-14-2011, 02:22 PM
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by speck-chaser View Post
They starting to crack down on that. dont push your luck, trust me I Know!!

He want listen you might as well tell the tree in your yard that. He's the type that has to find out the hardway, on his own. Let DOTD pull him over.:*****:
Old 08-14-2011, 02:40 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 1,488

Maybe this will help him be convinced to do it the RIGHT way!
http://www.katc.com/news/lafayette-s...rget-trailers/

I love how all the experts on traffic/roadway laws comeout of the woodworks! If you put it on the road and it has tail lights, it has to have a plate. If it has to have a plate, it has to have a title. If the trailer is a manufactured trailer, or one that has been repaired, it had a VIN at one time. That VIN is on the original title and you will need to do a title transfer. If the original VIN was cut off (broken trailer) and repaired, the original owner should have kept the original title. If the trailer does not have the original VIN on the trailer and you do not have access to the original title, good luck! A "homemade" trailer is just that - homemade! Without seeing pictures, if your trailer was an original trailer built by a trailer company it had a "Certificate of Origin" which matched the VIN. Without any documents, this may be a pile of scrap metal if you need to put it on the roadway. Good luck!

Also, dial *577 on your cell, and ask the local trooper working the desk to send a trooper to your address to look at the trailer. If it is able to be stamped, he can arrange it. Now, make sure you understand, this is not a priority for them, so it may take a couple days to get one there.
Old 08-14-2011, 02:54 PM
Tripletail

the trailer i have has a title and registration but when i went to the dmv they said it would be a triple transfer and i needed a bill of sale from the guy i bought from from he bought it from.and i cant seem to track the guy down.and on the dmv website all trailers in la have to be registered or titled.but i thought it said if less than 1500lbs gross weight of trailer and boat it didnt require a tag.i mustve misread it.
Old 08-14-2011, 03:35 PM
King Mackeral

Quote:
the trailer i have has a title and registration but when i went to the dmv they said it would be a triple transfer and i needed a bill of sale from the guy i bought from from he bought it from.and i cant seem to track the guy down.and on the dmv website all trailers in la have to be registered or titled.but i thought it said if less than 1500lbs gross weight of trailer and boat it didnt require a tag.i mustve misread it.
It has to have a chain of custody documented from one owner to another. Without that chain of custody (title changes) it is possible for a stolen trailer to be sold and these steps are designed to protect you as a owner. I would never take delivery of a trailer w/o a title signed over to me, and a bill of sale. Only time I deviate from this is when I buy a new trailer, and the certificate of origin from the dealer is just as good as a title, since it is used to register the trailer.

Unless you find the guy that sold you the trailer, then have him go and register the trailer at DMV, then have him sign that title over to you, then go and re-register that title in your name- then that trailer will never be legal. You will also run into trouble if you ever want to sell that trailer.
Old 08-14-2011, 03:46 PM
Sailfish

All I will say is I have pulled a trailer more then most guys on here unless they drive trucks for a living or do hot shot work and I have not had problems locally, I have also tried to title a trailer like you are trying to do and its really not worth the trouble so either do like me and take you chance knowing the risk or go buy another trailer that has correct paper work.
Old 08-14-2011, 03:47 PM
Tripletail

ok thats what i wanted to kno.thanks for the info
Old 08-14-2011, 03:49 PM
Tripletail

ill probably just rob this one of parts and scrap what i cant use.
Old 08-14-2011, 03:52 PM
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fastmerc View Post
He want listen you might as well tell the tree in your yard that. He's the type that has to find out the hardway, on his own. Let DOTD pull him over.:*****:
Aw man y'all are no fun. I was hoping someone would say something about being DOT not DOTD. Oh well maybe next time.

---
- Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-14-2011, 03:53 PM
Sailfish

Quote:
ill probably just rob this one of parts and scrap what i cant use.
May be worth selling to someone for a deer lease or farm before you junk it, any pics and what size is it. Do you need a trailer if so what size because I am always lookin for stuff like that for a good deal and may find what you need.
Old 08-14-2011, 03:53 PM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by weedeater View Post
All I will say is I have pulled a trailer more then most guys on here unless they drive trucks for a living or do hot shot work and I have not had problems locally, I have also tried to title a trailer like you are trying to do and its really not worth the trouble so either do like me and take you chance knowing the risk or go buy another trailer that has correct paper work.
Moving deer stands all day yesterday, I was returning home last night about 9pm with one last load. Got pulled over on Hwy 13 in Mamou by the local there. I had broken my wires coming out of the lease yesterday and did not have any tail light working. I was able to put some "slum dog" engineering on the side of the road and got enough lights working to slide with a warning, but he had the ticket book out!
Old 08-14-2011, 04:00 PM
Tripletail

the overall length of the trailer is 15 lights work a everything.i need one for a 14ft jon boat if anyone is interested make an offer and ill send pics.
Old 08-14-2011, 04:10 PM
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finfeatherfur View Post
Moving deer stands all day yesterday, I was returning home last night about 9pm with one last load. Got pulled over on Hwy 13 in Mamou by the local there. I had broken my wires coming out of the lease yesterday and did not have any tail light working. I was able to put some "slum dog" engineering on the side of the road and got enough lights working to slide with a warning, but he had the ticket book out!
Not sure if its still the law but I know use to there was a length that if it was under and vehical lights could be seen no lights were required, I have ripped lights and wires hauling stands and then you through family useing trailers in there and you cant keep lights on them things some cops dont bother much some just want to make a ticket