SaltyCajun.com lake area banner

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 03-29-2015, 09:06 PM
Ling

Cash: 4,258
Default Laser Eye Surgery

Hey guys, just wondering if any of you have had the laser procedur done on your eyes? My wife has been wanting to have it done. She has had glasses and contacts almost all of her life. Just wondering about how much it ran and any pros or cons about it. Thanks in advance.
Old 03-29-2015, 09:14 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,733

Had it done 2 years ago no regrets. About $1600. Dr Singer in Metarie. Talked to several people that had it done by him and was satisfied. Thats why I chose him. Painless and very quick procedure. Google him, tons of info on him.
Old 03-29-2015, 09:20 PM
Ling

Cash: 3,542

I had it done in 2010 by Dr Singer.. If I remember correctly it ran somewhere between $1,500 - $2,000 for both eyes. It was one of the best decisions I ever made. Walked in blind and I could read the sign across the street (still somewhat fuzzy) when I walked out. I went home and took the big sleeping pill they gave me and woke up the next day with damn near perfect vision. It only got better over the next few days. The only con that I can speak of is my eyes are now very sensitive to light. I always have a pair of sunglasses on my forehead now just in case, rain or shine.
Old 03-29-2015, 10:05 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,152

I too used Dr. singer. No regrets at all and love riding in a boat not worrying about contacts drying out, bug flying in them wtc.
Old 03-30-2015, 12:35 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,852

you only have one set of eyes, don't gamble with them.

your eyes will change over time and then "if you are lucky" you will be wearing glasses again. in some cases glasses no longer help and you will be stuck with blurry vision for life all to get 10-15 years of glasses free vision.
Old 03-30-2015, 06:43 AM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by keakar View Post
you only have one set of eyes, don't gamble with them.

your eyes will change over time and then "if you are lucky" you will be wearing glasses again. in some cases glasses no longer help and you will be stuck with blurry vision for life all to get 10-15 years of glasses free vision.
Where did you get this info? Are you saying it only last 10-15 years?
Old 03-30-2015, 06:56 AM
Redfish

Cash: 1,091

My wife had it done in 1998 , she went from 20/400 to 20/20 overnight. Lasted till 2008 and then she had to start using 1.5 readers for newspaper and books. up now to 2.0's but still very satisfied. don't rember the cost but im sure its gone up. BUT , the procedure and quality of the work is probally much better now also .......go for it .
Old 03-30-2015, 07:07 AM
Great White

Cash: 17,285

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt G View Post
I had it done in 2010 by Dr Singer.. If I remember correctly it ran somewhere between $1,500 - $2,000 for both eyes. It was one of the best decisions I ever made. Walked in blind and I could read the sign across the street (still somewhat fuzzy) when I walked out. I went home and took the big sleeping pill they gave me and woke up the next day with damn near perfect vision. It only got better over the next few days. The only con that I can speak of is my eyes are now very sensitive to light. I always have a pair of sunglasses on my forehead now just in case, rain or shine.

Well Said...

I had mine done in 2006 and still no issues. Dr Faye Wo in BR did mine as I remember it was just under $ 2,500 total.
Old 03-30-2015, 07:10 AM
Red Snapper

It does not correct close up viewing only distance.
Old 03-30-2015, 07:21 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,679

Had PRK done back in 2009 while in the military for free best. Eyes are still good
Old 03-30-2015, 01:25 PM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyb View Post
Where did you get this info? Are you saying it only last 10-15 years?
I had laser surgery for both eyes in 1993 and I am legally blind in my right eye today because of it. it would require contacts in combination with 2 pairs of glasses for me to see clearly and I have to constantly swap glasses out for near or far vision. the contacts are needed to make the glasses work but without the glasses I am even more blind then without wearing contacts so I just don't wear any of them and at least I have the same level of blurry vision all the time.

when you reach age 50 your eyes start to change. between the ages of your teens and 50 your eyes don't change so if you had the procedure when you were 20 then it might be great for 30 years but when the eyes change around age 50 (along with everything else in our bodies lol) your vision will also change and often this change requires some form of vision correction.

last I am aware of, there was no second treatment allowed by the medical approval board but this may have changed, I just haven't kept up with it so I am not 100% certain on it but until I see proof otherwise I will speak what I was told by the last eye doctor I talked to and his answer was no you cant get a second treatment but they can do a touchup treatment at the same time as the first treatment if your vision isn't quite correct, you just cant come back after the eye has healed and redo it.

the problem with this laser surgery is its a one time deal only. they will focus your eyes to see in the here and now today, and if anything changes well you are just S O L because it cant be redone a second time, there are no "tune up" procedures for this.

talk to your doctor he will or should have explained all this to you.

your eyes are the only ones you have, do research and find out all the facts before rushing in to something like this.

http://www.lasikcomplications.com/

http://www.doctoroz.com/article/hard-look-lasik-surgery

Last edited by keakar; 03-30-2015 at 02:18 PM.
Old 03-30-2015, 03:01 PM
Red Snapper

That site is a personal injury attorney, so its a bit skewed if you know what I mean. Like any surgery there are risk associated with it. I know quite a few people who have had the surgery without problems. Millions do it yearly with very few problems. Its Unfortunate you had a problem.
Old 03-30-2015, 04:35 PM
Red Snapper

Quote:
That site is a personal injury attorney, so its a bit skewed if you know what I mean. Like any surgery there are risk associated with it. I know quite a few people who have had the surgery without problems. Millions do it yearly with very few problems. Its Unfortunate you had a problem.
really? which one because I don't see a single ad, email or phone number anywhere for an attorney on that sight.

they do however say this:

Quote:
Thank you for visiting this website. Over 30,000 individuals visit this site every month seeking factual information about the risks of LASIK.
This site is operated by private citizens and receives no corporate or industry support whatsoever. In other words, we have no financial interest in your decision to have LASIK or not. Our mission is to warn people about LASIK risks, side effects and complications prior to surgery. LASIK patients experiencing problems should seek the advice of a physician.
Leave your comments and sign the petition to stop LASIK.
Like us on Facebook
now while they do include a request to help support a petition to request the procedures be stopped until its made sfaer, its not being done through any legal entity or for the purpose of a lawsuit. just like anything found to be harmful it is prudent to want it stopped until they can be made safer so no one is injured, I think that's a reasonable response to any medical procedure that injures even a small percentage of people.

the information is out there if you look for it and yes checking into who is giving you the info and that it is unbiased info is key.

Last edited by keakar; 03-30-2015 at 04:47 PM.
Old 03-30-2015, 04:52 PM
Red Snapper

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/1/sup...asik-approval/

Most of the names are foreign. Strange. But OK.
Old 03-30-2015, 05:31 PM
Red Snapper

Quote:
http://www.thepetitionsite.com/1/sup...asik-approval/

Most of the names are foreign. Strange. But OK.
ya, I mean im not trying to defend anything about this website or that website, just that I did a quick one minute google search and posted two links that appeared to be impartial and just giving out all the facts people need to know.

people really need to do their own very detailed searching for all the bad things that can happen before deciding if they want to risk being able to see clearly.

I used to be a person who ignored the small percentage of people who had issues as not worth considering and talked myself into ignoring all that and just wanted to believe its was "relatively" risk free.

often people wanting to do this only look at the good side and I just want people to know its a lot riskier then it is presented to be by the laser surgery guys.
Old 03-30-2015, 07:27 PM
Sand Trout

Cash: 619

My wife and I both had ours done in 2011 by Dr Singer. If I recall it was about $5000 for the both of us. Seems my wife's was more expensive as she had a very thin cornea. Positive results for by of us. Our only regret was that we wish we would have done it much sooner.