SaltyCajun.com http://www.boltonford.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion

Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion Discuss inshore fishing, tackle, and tactics here!

LMC Marine

Old 05-07-2012, 06:36 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,837

I agree there is not just one all encompassing factor. The lake record may very well be broken in time, but to say someone has a better chance to catch a record trout since the limit change would be hard to back up.
Old 05-07-2012, 07:02 PM
Ling

Cash: 8,577

But since the change how many 11s have been caught
Old 05-07-2012, 07:07 PM
Ling

There 15 viewers, you all have an opinion post what you think you will not be patrionized....lets here spme comments....good discuss... Nobodys wrong voice it.........
Old 05-07-2012, 07:10 PM
Red Snapper

No 11lbers that I know of.
Old 05-07-2012, 07:21 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 2,604

Quote:
Originally Posted by inchspinner View Post
But since the change how many 11s have been caught
How many were caught before??? According to the record books, only one came out of Big Lake, and another was caught that we know of, taking that guy by his word….
Old 05-07-2012, 07:24 PM
Ling

Alright since creel change how many 9-10s have been caught....just round about...bruce, w, noodle, anyone
Old 05-07-2012, 07:30 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Cash: 7,829

I only heard of 3 over 10 caught since the limit change and Bruce has two of them
Old 05-07-2012, 07:38 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 2,604

Quote:
Alright since creel change how many 9-10s have been caught....just round about...bruce, w, noodle, anyone
Again, how man were caught before??? Just curious...
Old 05-07-2012, 07:49 PM
Red Snapper

Well Jeff Poe has several of the top 10 fish on fly rod including the record and I believe most if not all were caught prior to the limit change. I know there is no way to keep record of every fish over 8 pounds caught but just talk to anyone who fished in 80's or 90's and still fishes to this day, they'll tell you about the change.
Old 05-07-2012, 07:54 PM
Ling

So thats what it goes to say "change the limit back to 25" and watch the size increase.....Like stated before alot of people dont or cant catch 15 muchless 25 so raising the limit would hurt what....I dont know Im asking...Was there a shortage when they lowered it to 15....What was the REASON for the LOWERING of the Limit from 25 to 15....Looks like there were bigger fish caught when the limit was higher...Yeah there are more boats....But how many TROPHY fish are caught on SAT OR SUN....Prolly not too many....just because of the number of boats....But ask all the big fish catchers when they catch....I would assume M-F....JMO.
Old 05-07-2012, 07:59 PM
Red Snapper

I'm by no means very educated on the topic. However, from the information I have read, lowering the limit in order to produce a better trophy trout lake makes zero sense. Maybe one day we will be proven wrong, but I doubt it. The limit change bothers me because if that can be changed, no telling what else can happen in the future.
Old 05-07-2012, 08:01 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

I fish over 100 days a year and before I worked 7 n7 I still fished a good bit , from my experance the adv size of over all trout is down

Only hard Facts I can give u are

Look at STAR weights under 25 trout limit vs 15 trout limit

It took a upper 9 lb trout to win STAR and the top 3 were almost all 9 over

Look at the CCA trout shoot out..... Took upper 8-9 to win 25 limit now if you catch a 7 you won...or even upper 6
Old 05-07-2012, 08:07 PM
Redfish

Cash: 1,201

Quote:
Originally Posted by noodle creek View Post
Well Jeff Poe has several of the top 10 fish on fly rod including the record and I believe most if not all were caught prior to the limit change. I know there is no way to keep record of every fish over 8 pounds caught but just talk to anyone who fished in 80's or 90's and still fishes to this day, they'll tell you about the change.
Jeff Poe will also tell you that when he fished int he late 80's he could go a full day on the water without seeing another recreational fisherman. Not trying to be a smart a**, just going make to the point I made earlier that you can't do an exact comparison of creel limit by holding all other things constant.

That being said, even on the days that i could catch 25 trout, i would start throwing them back before then because i don't want to clean that many. So I'm good either way.

I would like to know what inchspinner asked about how many 10lbers have actually been caught. I wonder before the boga grip how man fisherman got an acurate reading on there fish and how many so called 10lbs were actually that big.
Old 05-07-2012, 08:08 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Now years after limit change I'm now 100% against it because I can see it has taken a toll on the over all trout size

It was don't with Zero Facts by guys who have a lot of money and fish less than 30 times a year and that's pushing it
Old 05-07-2012, 08:11 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsufish View Post
Jeff Poe will also tell you that when he fished int he late 80's he could go a full day on the water without seeing another recreational fisherman. Not trying to be a smart a**, just going make to the point I made earlier that you can't do an exact comparison of creel limit by holding all other things constant.

That being said, even on the days that i could catch 25 trout, i would start throwing them back before then because i don't want to clean that many. So I'm good either way.

I would like to know what inchspinner asked about how many 10lbers have actually been caught. I wonder before the boga grip how man fisherman got an acurate reading on there fish and how many so called 10lbs were actually that big.
Nobody even weight trout back them...they all got the knife..... Terry Shaunessy said he has caoughy over 6000 6 or 8 lb trout if I remember that right in trout masters book

I know my dad had lots of numbers of big trout in the 6-8 lb range in some pics
Old 05-07-2012, 08:21 PM
Redfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by "W" View Post
Nobody even weight trout back them...they all got the knife..... Terry Shaunessy said he has caoughy over 6000 6 or 8 lb trout if I remember that right in trout masters book

I know my dad had lots of numbers of big trout in the 6-8 lb range in some pics
When they were catching all those big trout back then, do you think there were more trout getting caught overall?

Even if the limit was 25 back then, I would imagine there were less saltwater fisherman then there are now.

So It seems me based on what we said earlier that a
25 limit w/ less fisherman=15 limit w/more fisherman so it would almost be a breakeven.
Old 05-07-2012, 08:26 PM
Ling

Just a thought and nobody knows the answer how many trout are caught a year in bl over seven.....just think how many you have if any and the ones you hear about....not a buttload....jmo...in one physical year
Old 05-07-2012, 08:29 PM
Redfish

Quote:
Just a thought and nobody knows the answer how many trout are caught a year in bl over seven.....just think how many you have if any and the ones you hear about....not a buttload....jmo...in one physical year
I agree, for all I know W's theory is completely accurate. The only point i was trying to make is that it is difficult to say that the only reason less big trout are being caught is because of the creel limit. It could be a variety of contributing factors.
Old 05-07-2012, 08:37 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsufish View Post
When they were catching all those big trout back then, do you think there were more trout getting caught overall?

Even if the limit was 25 back then, I would imagine there were less saltwater fisherman then there are now.

So It seems me based on what we said earlier that a
25 limit w/ less fisherman=15 limit w/more fisherman so it would almost be a breakeven.

I know this ......I have pics at my Dads house were they had over 1500 trout in one weekend.......

all 3-7lbs trout
Old 05-07-2012, 08:46 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 3,763

Quote:
Originally Posted by "W" View Post
I know this ......I have pics at my Dads house were they had over 1500 trout in one weekend.......

all 3-7lbs trout
Please postem....im not saying i don't believe you just want to see'em. Like old school fishing pics