SaltyCajun.com http://www.lyonsagency.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 07-15-2009, 04:14 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 1,488
Default Coonass dove hunter needs help in Texas!

Hello all my Longhorn buddies! Sorry the Tigers took the big trophy home, but it was a good series!

Ok, now that I got my butt kissing done, I need some help. We go to a annual dove hunt in Orange Grove (Chorpus Christi area) every year. We are trying to make plans for lodging and vacation schedule now, but my host is overseas for at least another 3 weeks and does not have communications right now.

Question is, does anyone know with a good degree of certainty what weekend dove season will open in the south zone of Texas? The Texas Department of Parks & Wildlife does not have it posted yet. But I need to get a jump on lodging. Any help is greatly appreciated!
Old 07-15-2009, 04:23 PM
Flounder

Cash: 650

usually around the second week in septemeber
Old 07-15-2009, 04:29 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 650

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finfeatherfur View Post
Hello all my Longhorn buddies! Sorry the Tigers took the big trophy home, but it was a good series!

Ok, now that I got my butt kissing done, I need some help. We go to a annual dove hunt in Orange Grove (Chorpus Christi area) every year. We are trying to make plans for lodging and vacation schedule now, but my host is overseas for at least another 3 weeks and does not have communications right now.

Question is, does anyone know with a good degree of certainty what weekend dove season will open in the south zone of Texas? The Texas Department of Parks & Wildlife does not have it posted yet. But I need to get a jump on lodging. Any help is greatly appreciated!

All Previous posts, by person asking the favor, must be reviewed by the T.I.P before a Texan responds, in order so they can respond in an equally offensive response, if necessary,. based on so said previous posts by so called person whom initiated original favor.

J/K

I am sure someone will help you out.
Old 07-15-2009, 04:39 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 683

It opens on Friday, September 18th this year. Orange Grove? Are you hunting Knolle Farms property? By the way, this is the current proposed opening date. It has not yet been finalized and approved and that is why it has not been published on the TPW website.
Old 07-15-2009, 04:58 PM
Banned

im ready!
Old 07-15-2009, 06:39 PM
Redfish

Cash: 653

got some cousins down in Orange Grove. usually have a lot of white wings but with the drought down there they may be fewer this year? not much to do in orange grove but the VFW has ice cold beer. SK
Old 07-15-2009, 09:37 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 4,182

We put out bird seeds in the back yard. A few days ago, there were 8 doves under one feeder.

I think a 30 yard shot with #8 shot could have taken all of them.
Old 07-16-2009, 08:58 AM
King Mackeral

Tough crowd! - Glad I didn't jump on the Texas bashing bandwagon! Thanks for the help.

I know it opened on a Saturday last year, the weekend following Ike, and we had a blast. Why would it open on a Friday this year? Just curious?

We are hunting private property surrounded by agri fields. It is only about 20 acres, but it has a real big pit, w/ spring fed water, so I think they come for the grit and a drink. The one place where you can really melt a gun barrel! lol
Old 07-16-2009, 09:13 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 683

Up until 2 or 3 years ago it always opened on Friday. Glad they are swithcing back to Friday. Also proposed is a 15 bag limit instead of 12.
Old 07-16-2009, 09:28 AM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by FREON View Post
Up until 2 or 3 years ago it always opened on Friday. Glad they are swithcing back to Friday. Also proposed is a 15 bag limit instead of 12.
15 sounds real good to us also! Especially driving 8 hours! Well worth the drive to see my kids in a "target rich environment". We actually spelled out L-S-U on the ground last year for the picture with dead doves. We had a blast! Thanks for the heads up on the Friday opening, that changes everything! We will get the kids out of school for the Friday and leave on Thursday, giving us 3 days to hunt!