SaltyCajun.com http://cajunrodandreelrepair.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 09-02-2012, 01:30 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 3,349
Default Bad dove hunt

I had 3 brothers and my dad join me for a guided dove hunt in southeast Texas on opening morning. We met our guide to settle up ($150) and made our way to the fields. When we got to our hunting location we quickly realized something was not right. We were dropped off on a tree line in a pasture without a grain or plowed field in sight. After an hour of listening to gunfire in surrounding areas without seeing a bird our guide returned to take us down the road to another location to scout. Again, there was nothing plowed or planted in any area he brought us to. We finally found a few birds in some thick grass, but it was already 10:30 and the flight was over. We went eat lunch and came back to the field around 2 hoping to get on the birds we found late morning. The storms messed us up and there were very few birds even when the rain cleared.

Before you book a guide I suggest you get more info than in did and not just assume all guides work fields, etc..... I have been on guided dove hunts in the same area and had great success, but this was a joke. There were probably 25 hunters with less than 20 doves killed.
Old 09-02-2012, 04:32 PM
The Camp Cook....

Cash: 13,913

That's sad... At least you realize where you screwed up and won't let it happen again but I can see how easy it is to get caught up in the moment and not ask the right questions.
Old 09-02-2012, 04:37 PM
Redfish

Cash: 883

I can't see how a guide would even keep the full payment after that. I would feel bad. I understand a bad day, but not putting any effort into bringing dove in isn't right at all.
Old 09-02-2012, 04:45 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,461

Quote:
Originally Posted by BArmand View Post
I had 3 brothers and my dad join me for a guided dove hunt in southeast Texas on opening morning. We met our guide to settle up ($150) and made our way to the fields. When we got to our hunting location we quickly realized something was not right. We were dropped off on a tree line in a pasture without a grain or plowed field in sight. After an hour of listening to gunfire in surrounding areas without seeing a bird our guide returned to take us down the road to another location to scout. Again, there was nothing plowed or planted in any area he brought us to. We finally found a few birds in some thick grass, but it was already 10:30 and the flight was over. We went eat lunch and came back to the field around 2 hoping to get on the birds we found late morning. The storms messed us up and there were very few birds even when the rain cleared.

Before you book a guide I suggest you get more info than in did and not just assume all guides work fields, etc..... I have been on guided dove hunts in the same area and had great success, but this was a joke. There were probably 25 hunters with less than 20 doves killed.

Same thing happened to us years ago. 12 guys traveled to Uvalde Texas- 9 hour drive. Hauled trailers, 4 wheelers and beer. Met guide at store early, noticed there were 4,000 other people waiting at store. Guide dropped 12 of us off at a field before sunrise. Once sun came up we noticed the field was horse pasture with fence surrounding it. Only about 2 acres big- I could have pissed across it, definitely did not need 4 wheelers. You could see hunters as far as the eye could see, we called guide whom of course did not answer and wanted to be moved. Got different field next day but same thing- tons of hunters around and just had to deal with it. Had birds but not worth the drive. Hard to find a good field now days.
Old 09-02-2012, 07:46 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 4,609

If you book a trip a little west of Beaumont and the guy is named Scott, you better think twice or it will be an expensive scouting trip. It would be hard for me to charge $150 knowing they don't have a shot at killing doves.... But we had good group so I still had a good time.
Old 09-02-2012, 08:31 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,585

I kinda had the same experience yesterday. Buddy invited me to hunt his club. I paid 50 we pulled up to a huge weed field and I said "***" is this. Anyway, didn't fire a shot and buddy killed two. Guide said field was full of Goat Weed and doves love it.
Today, my buddy went on another hunt and sent me a pic of his field....goat weed again. This time he said there was thousands of doves, but they were all Whitewings and they didn't start flying really good till after 5:30. He said they were trying to light in the goat weed. I would have never have believed it if he hadn't sent me pics. Apparently the white wings don't mind dropping down in a weed choked field to feed, unlike a Mourning dove.
Old 09-02-2012, 08:40 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 556

Would never pay for a hunt before seeing the field(s)
Old 09-02-2012, 10:29 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 3,948

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slidellkid View Post
I kinda had the same experience yesterday. Buddy invited me to hunt his club. I paid 50 we pulled up to a huge weed field and I said "***" is this. Anyway, didn't fire a shot and buddy killed two. Guide said field was full of Goat Weed and doves love it.
Today, my buddy went on another hunt and sent me a pic of his field....goat weed again. This time he said there was thousands of doves, but they were all Whitewings and they didn't start flying really good till after 5:30. He said they were trying to light in the goat weed. I would have never have believed it if he hadn't sent me pics. Apparently the white wings don't mind dropping down in a weed choked field to feed, unlike a Mourning dove.
Goat weed is croton if you ever look at ldwf website. That is typically what comes up in new cutovers. Its an early invader of disturbed sites. When those seed pods bust open, prolly best place to be for doves in a field full of them. Doves love it. Jumped a few on clear creek yesterday in spots with a good bit of croutons.

Feel bad for yalls hunt though man. Seems pretty f'd up for a Guy to drop paying customers in a field that clearly is not gonna produce. Sounds like Texas is not the place to go for guided dove hunts.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I847 using Tapatalk 2
Old 09-02-2012, 10:37 PM
BIG MOUTH BASS!

Cash: 5,963

thats why I never pay for a guided dove hunt. I guess a few questions to ask is 1. can I see the field I'm hunting? 2. how many people will be hunting this field at the same time I am? 3. how many fields you have available and what is planted in them?
Old 09-02-2012, 11:37 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,585

These days if you don't pay to hunt doves you don't hunt much. I grew up hunting a friends farm for doves over the years but those days are over. I wouldn't mind being in a dove club where everyone worked and planted for the whole group. I think that would be rewarding.

I am sure there are lots of great dove hunts out there, but it sure would be nice if you could visit the field first to check it out.
Old 09-02-2012, 11:41 PM
The Camp Cook....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slidellkid View Post
These days if you don't pay to hunt doves you don't hunt much. I grew up hunting a friends farm for doves over the years but those days are over. I wouldn't mind being in a dove club where everyone worked and planted for the whole group. I think that would be rewarding.

I am sure there are lots of great dove hunts out there, but it sure would be nice if you could visit the field first to check it out.
X 2...
Old 09-03-2012, 12:09 AM
Great White

Cash: 3,391

This "$150"...is that per gun?
Old 09-03-2012, 12:13 AM
The Camp Cook....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty View Post
This "$150"...is that per gun?
I sure hope not....
Old 09-03-2012, 12:39 AM
Great White

Cash: 3,391

Wasn't tryin' to be an azz. Never been on a dove hunt, but, that does sound high per person. But, sounds awful low for 3-4 peeps.
Old 09-03-2012, 05:24 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 460

Last paid dove hunt I went on was $50 per persons. Hell that was 15 years ago though.
Old 09-03-2012, 08:04 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 3,349

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPfishnTIM View Post
thats why I never pay for a guided dove hunt. I guess a few questions to ask is 1. can I see the field I'm hunting? 2. how many people will be hunting this field at the same time I am? 3. how many fields you have available and what is planted in them?
I have hunted with a guy named Jim West in this area for $70/gun and had
great success on several occasions, but he did not have room opening morning. He will tell you when you book a hunt if he has birds, Scott Hickman did not.

Its not often we get all of us together so we didn't mind paying $150/gun for what we thought was going to be a good dove hunt. If this guy would have jumped on the tractor sitting on the side of the field it would have been a lot easier to take. He blamed our lack of success on north winds, baited fields and wet wings from the rain in the area. Wet wings was a first for us.
Old 09-03-2012, 09:21 AM
The Camp Cook....

Wet wings???

Never heard of that either.
Old 09-03-2012, 09:40 AM
Ling

Cash: 5,573

Sounds like he was just trying to collect!
Snake he never offered to knock down the price?!?!?!
Old 09-03-2012, 09:43 AM
Sailfish

Cash: 2,318

Wet wings? What an idiot!!!
Old 09-03-2012, 10:25 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,781

The wet wings thing is true. Y'all never seen doves drying their wings? After every rain then hold their wings open like cormorant