SaltyCajun.com http://www.gator-tail.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hunting, Boating, and General Outdoor Talk > Hunting Discussion

Hunting Discussion Discuss anything related to hunting here!

Old 10-03-2013, 11:46 AM
Flounder

Cash: 842
Default Bear!

I've been deer hunting a small peice of property not far from my house for the past few years and always seen a few deer and hogs throughout the deer season and my scouting time in the woods. This year I did the same as the past years threw feed and put out feeders but obviously attracted some unwanted bears. Now I'm not seeing nearly as much sign of deer or pigs in the area. Anyone has some advice on how to get the bears out of the area? I stopped feeding about a week ago I hopes that they move to another area to find other food. Thanks in advance!
Old 10-03-2013, 01:10 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 4,393

Contact WLF. They can probably trap and relocate them.
Old 10-03-2013, 01:54 PM
Ling

Cash: 3,167

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reelbadfishin' View Post
I've been deer hunting a small peice of property not far from my house for the past few years and always seen a few deer and hogs throughout the deer season and my scouting time in the woods. This year I did the same as the past years threw feed and put out feeders but obviously attracted some unwanted bears. Now I'm not seeing nearly as much sign of deer or pigs in the area. Anyone has some advice on how to get the bears out of the area? I stopped feeding about a week ago I hopes that they move to another area to find other food. Thanks in advance!
The private lands biologist in your area is based out of New Iberia. Mike Drewry, he deals with the bears. I fish with him occasionally. Unless its a nuisance though, not sure if there is anything they can do. LDWF has a pamphlet out on how to deal with bears, it may be on their website. If you are around Avery Island, they are not uncommon there and are pretty common closer to Cypremort Point they can be a nuisance in the trashcans there. Stopping with the feeding is definitely a good start. Once that sugarcane in that area gets harvested though, they go back to the woods where the acorns are.
Old 10-03-2013, 02:34 PM
Flounder

Is it legal to shoot them with a rubber bullet or something non lethal? I would think after getting peppered with that a few times it would get the hint and move along.
Old 10-03-2013, 02:40 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 3,763

I used to hunt as a guest of Chet Morrison at Belle Isle a few times a year and they were given rubber buckshot by the LDWF to use on the bears if they became a nuisance.
Old 10-03-2013, 02:42 PM
Ling

Cash: 5,600

Quote:
Is it legal to shoot them with a rubber bullet or something non lethal? I would think after getting peppered with that a few times it would get the hint and move along.
Let's just say that I have it on good authority that if you shoot one in the A$$ with a blunt tip arrow and 70# draw that it will drag its butt on the ground like a dog haul a$$ and will not return.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
Old 10-03-2013, 02:58 PM
Ling

Quote:
Not technically legal to harass wildlife, and this is a threatened species so there is that. Nuisance bears are shot with buckshot to 'haze' them so they know not to come around. When they are released from the cage they get shot in the azz.

They are hardly ever aggressive, I wouldn't worry about them. Just think about why they are there - there is food. Discontinue feeding them and they have no reason to be where you are. That is the politically correct answer

Now that being said, if one was trying to climb a tree I am in and/or threatening me I would have not one iota of care to shoot him with some rubber buckshot Sometimes its easier to ask for foregiveness than permission
Old 10-03-2013, 02:59 PM
Ling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clampy View Post
Let's just say that I have it on good authority that if you shoot one in the A$$ with a blunt tip arrow and 70# draw that it will drag its butt on the ground like a dog haul a$$ and will not return.

Hypothetically right?
Old 10-03-2013, 03:09 PM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck Butter View Post
Not technically legal to harass wildlife, and this is a threatened species so there is that. Nuisance bears are shot with buckshot to 'haze' them so they know not to come around. When they are released from the cage they get shot in the azz.

They are hardly ever aggressive, I wouldn't worry about them. Just think about why they are there - there is food. Discontinue feeding them and they have no reason to be where you are. That is the politically correct answer

Now that being said, if one was trying to climb a tree I am in and/or threatening me I would have not one iota of care to shoot him with some rubber buckshot Sometimes its easier to ask for foregiveness than permission
So say for instance I don't have rubber bullets, And one climbs up my tree? Do I just try to wound him? We have a few where I deer hunt also. Never seen one myself but the landowner has and my buddy that hunts down the road said he seen one cross a pipeline a couple years ago along with catching them on camera.

Old 10-03-2013, 03:24 PM
Ling

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshRat89 View Post
So say for instance I don't have rubber bullets, And one climbs up my tree? Do I just try to wound him? We have a few where I deer hunt also. Never seen one myself but the landowner has and my buddy that hunts down the road said he seen one cross a pipeline a couple years ago along with catching them on camera.

From what I understand and I hunt and have worked at Tensas where bears are common is that if you shoot one out of 'self defense' you better have some scars

I have some pics of one that was sitting in the back of my truck. I left a packaged sandwich back there to heat up while I was gone.
Old 10-03-2013, 03:28 PM
Ling

Cash: 5,600

Quote:
Hypothetically right?
Of course. Everything I say is hear say and prolly has not one ounce of truth behind it.

Old 10-03-2013, 03:32 PM
Flounder

So just because the bears are in the area doesn't necessarily mean that they running the deer off correct?
Old 10-03-2013, 03:38 PM
King Mackeral

Quote:
From what I understand and I hunt and have worked at Tensas where bears are common is that if you shoot one out of 'self defense' you better have some scars

I have some pics of one that was sitting in the back of my truck. I left a packaged sandwich back there to heat up while I was gone.
Go pro bro! All the evidence I need.

Old 10-03-2013, 03:45 PM
Ling

Quote:
So just because the bears are in the area doesn't necessarily mean that they running the deer off correct?
You probably aren't going to see a deer in the same company as a bear, but they live together just fine. Usually on our game cameras, once the bear shows up the deer go away and come back when he/she leaves. Bears can and do eat deer if they are an easy target (like a fawn) but they pretty much just go after the easy pickings like a corn feeder or trashcan when its available
Old 10-03-2013, 03:47 PM
Ling

Default In back of truck at Tensas

This was at the McLemore Tract of Tensas NWR. If you want your best opportunity to see a bear in Louisiana, this area would be up there
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TensasNovember003.jpg (110.4 KB, 312 views)
File Type: jpg TensasNovember014.jpg (126.3 KB, 311 views)
File Type: jpg TensasNovember019.jpg (71.4 KB, 311 views)
File Type: jpg TensasNovember020.jpg (58.5 KB, 312 views)
Old 10-03-2013, 03:50 PM
Ling

Default More bears from Tensas NWR

This was a giant male the guys from University of TN tried to catch to weigh but he was trap shy

The one in a tree was one that was having cubs. They 'hibernate' and give birth during that time
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tensas2.jpg (56.5 KB, 309 views)
File Type: jpg tensasjan029.jpg (58.5 KB, 308 views)
File Type: jpg tensasjan1005.jpg (149.5 KB, 308 views)
File Type: jpg TensasNovember043.jpg (58.2 KB, 308 views)
Old 10-03-2013, 03:53 PM
Ling

And here are a couple other random pics from that folder

The ducks stack up on the MS River (canvasbacks and scaup) at Tallabena, they wait for the barges to offload corn and eat the scraps. Literally thousands of them, and when I took this pic and looked closer there was a surf scoter (top left) in the pic, kinda unusual for North Louisiana

The gobbler was strutting in the middle of winter

and the other is a random I just saw
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tensasjan289.jpg (157.2 KB, 304 views)
File Type: jpg TensasNovember001.jpg (77.1 KB, 304 views)
File Type: jpg Really-High-Guy-Meme-Shoes-are-like-hard-socks-true-story_thumb.jpg (70.1 KB, 303 views)
Old 10-03-2013, 06:18 PM
Calcasieu Extreme Rods

Cash: 13,330

I saw a black bear last year in the Mclemore area that was literally as big as my 4 wheeler.
Old 10-03-2013, 07:31 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 5,193

I'd just smoke check that critter, drag it off far enough that I couldn't smell it and continue deer hunting. Bear meat isn't very good anyway. That's just me though.
Old 10-03-2013, 09:55 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 5,193

Y'all are aware that bears have been known to attack and even kill people right? Maybe y'all missed that article. lol. Just messin with y'all. Seriously though I don't want to be any where around a critter that may place me second on the food chain. I'd just grey matter splatter that critter on sight and continue on my way.