SaltyCajun.com http://www.braggingbadges.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 08-25-2016, 07:14 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,124
Default Any advice on tire dry rot?

I just got some bad news the tires on ma ole jeep are dry rotted. I had a slow leak and I figured the tire had come unstuck from the rim. I had changed the valve and it still slowly went flat in a week. I asked the tire guy and he said the side walls were all dry rotted. he put a tube in ti to get it to hold up but said they prolly all like that and just a matter of time.

Just wondering what if anything can prevent or help this. I know the boat tires are dry rotted ya can see cracks in them but not the jeeps they look ok on the out side.
Old 08-25-2016, 07:29 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,454

Advice on dry rotted tires: Replace them
Old 08-25-2016, 07:37 AM
Red Snapper

I know I gotta replace these. The question is is there any thing to do to slow this from happening again??
Old 08-25-2016, 08:10 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,080

this
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TCPWM-30237.jpg (51.0 KB, 263 views)
Old 08-25-2016, 08:44 AM
Red Snapper

I always thought that would make it worse. I had a cover for my jeep when I'd park it for 28 days at work. But it got way more moldy under the cover than not.
Old 08-25-2016, 08:59 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,486

Been wondering about this myself, for my spare tire on boat trailer.
It hasn't done it yet but eventually will crack and be useless when I really need it.
I'll bet autozone carries some kind of spray that coats tire (sort of like armorall) and slows dry rot
Old 08-25-2016, 09:02 AM
Red Snapper

yea and the tires on the jeep dont look cracked they are cracked on the inside bad. But I have armoralled them on occasion.
Old 08-25-2016, 09:13 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 978

Cappy, don't armorall them. many of the tire shine products will remove components from the rubber making it less pliable and susceptible to cracking, or 'dry rot'. UV exposure will also break down the rubber given time...the covers are great for a vehicle that lives out in the sun such as a boat trailer or RV that is not under cover.
Old 08-25-2016, 10:09 AM
Red Snapper

I figured since every one on this forum had toys on trailers or trailers etc it would be worth discussin. I been shopping around and i can get 4 mounted and balanced for 750 tax included its by far best deal I have found so far. Now if I could jew him down another 6 or more Dollars I could pick up a 6pack of tall boys on the way home.
Old 08-25-2016, 10:40 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 10,192

One day I walked out to my boat and found my SPARE tire completely blown out. Not just a crack but a catastrophic blow out.
Old 08-25-2016, 10:56 AM
Red Snapper

I watch those shows on tv where they drag junk outa the woods and fix it up. heck some of thole things got trees through them and they air up the tires and load them or drag them to the shop. I guess they dont make em like they usta.
Old 08-25-2016, 11:23 AM
Sailfish

Cash: 5,193

Quote:
Originally Posted by rardoin View Post
Cappy, don't armorall them. many of the tire shine products will remove components from the rubber making it less pliable and susceptible to cracking, or 'dry rot'. UV exposure will also break down the rubber given time...the covers are great for a vehicle that lives out in the sun such as a boat trailer or RV that is not under cover.
Yep. Those tire shine products are bad for tires. They leach out the oils in the rubber compound.
Old 08-25-2016, 04:53 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 3,926

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cappy View Post
I watch those shows on tv where they drag junk outa the woods and fix it up. heck some of thole things got trees through them and they air up the tires and load them or drag them to the shop. I guess they dont make em like they usta.
Your right, they don't ! Unless your showing it that's the worse thing you can do!! Trash bags over the tires , or just drive it 20-30 miles every two months.

I have over 100 tires on the ground. and that's the only thing I found that works !
Old 08-25-2016, 06:06 PM
The Camp Cook....

Cash: 13,830

Cappy, how old are the tires on your jeep?
Old 08-25-2016, 09:22 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 7,266

Tires have a shelf life regardless of exposure, they go bad in warehouses just like rubber bands go bad in your drawer.

Check the dates on the ones you buy, you can find a manufacturing legend online. There are lawsuits over deaths attributed to new tires that had been around a while
Old 08-25-2016, 09:22 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,752

i have always heard that the worst thing for tires that don't get used often is concrete. It pulls the moisture out of the tire??? Went on a camping trip a few years back with Crawl. He was pulling his dad's camper which had three year old tires that were only used twice. Two blew out within 15 miles....
Old 08-25-2016, 10:50 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 3,763

I've found excellent deals on tires online. Www.tiresdirect.com and eBay. You save taxes and often get free shipping. I've bought good radial trailer tires with rims shipped on eBay cheaper than I could find just the tires locally.

My sister bought 4 tires for their jeep online and paid half what should find them locally and got free shipping and no taxes.
Old 08-25-2016, 11:40 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,852

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cappy View Post
I always thought that would make it worse. I had a cover for my jeep when I'd park it for 28 days at work. But it got way more moldy under the cover than not.
cap, dry rot comes from the oils in the tire drying out. keep it out of direct sunlight as well as indirect sunlight if you can is about all you can do.

its a natural process the rubber goes through starting the day its made and nothing you can do to stop it but you can slow it down if you keep it in a cool and dark but dry area as much as possible.

tires will last about 5 yrs on average from when they are made, less if left outside in direct sunlight, so its very very very important to check the date code on tires when you buy them. you can have tires right next to each other on the rack can be years different in when they were made, so its very important not to just let them get your tires and put them on but tell them you want to get in there and "approve" which tires they are giving to you. if they don't agree then you really don't want to be buying tires from them anyway because they will be giving you the oldest tires they have laying around.

even though you are buying a fresh brand new tire with stickers on it, it doesn't mean that its not already 2 yrs old and you will see dry rot cracks in it after only 3 yrs

this is how to know when a tire was made http://www.sears.com/articles/automo...160826043800:s
Old 08-26-2016, 02:23 AM
Sailfish

Cash: 4,182

I was reading about trailer tires a couple of days ago. One of the "experts" was saying exposure to moisture is very bad on tire life. He said that leaving tires on concrete or a board is not good.

He recommend parking the tires on some kind of grating to keep the tires off the ground to make them last longer.

Something to keep the sun off the tires [but still allow good air flow] will greatly extent the tire life.
Old 08-26-2016, 08:11 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,752

just rub some used oil on them babies every once in a while. keep the oils in em, lol. I know a guy that puts brake fluid on his lacrosse boots to keep em from cracking. swears that he has a set that is 30yrs old....