SaltyCajun.com http://www.gator-tail.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hunting, Boating, and General Outdoor Talk > Hunting Discussion

Hunting Discussion Discuss anything related to hunting here!

Old 10-01-2012, 07:48 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 460

I don't like crack barrels for the little ones. Anything with a hammer is just too dangerous for young kids to handle. 90% of the time when you see a young kid **** a hammer they put the butt of the gun between their legs and grab the hammer with both thumbs and try to crank it back. One slip of the thumb and the hammer falls and hits the pin. Of course these are the older crack barrels I have seen and they don't have safety's. Also the danger of the hammer getting caught on something and firing off. I started out with a 410 bolt action. And moved up to a 20 870 and cut the stock off which that is what my nephew and step daughter use they're both 9 she shot her first duck with it at 6. I buy the low brass shells for it and they don't kick much. I think 20 would be the best route. Just find something low recoil and that they can handle comfortably. But definitely start off with one shot at a time.
Old 10-01-2012, 08:38 AM
Sailfish

Cash: 5,596

Anyone wanna let me borrow one to show her safety and let her shoot a few rds. It's hard for me to swallow the pill of buying it and her not liking it. She's small but very strong and fairly tough
Old 10-01-2012, 09:07 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 1,488

I have in my gun safe a Remington 1100 in .410 which was the first gun purchased for me as a kid. I say "purchased" because it was so dang heavy for me, I was about 13 before I could use it w/ any precision. I ended up using a .410 crack barrel, then a .20 crack barrel before I could use the auto loader. By the time I was strong enough to use the auto loader, I was moving on to larger guns.

Please consider the gun in WTRetrievers picture as a "starter" gun for her to plink around with. Very affordable and it won't be intimidating due to weight and size.

We had a similar conversation last week at our deer lease. I took a gorup of kids shooting w/ a scoped .22 Ruger that have never shot scoped guns before. Within minutes, they were busting cans/bottles at 40 -50 yards. Almost immediately one of the moms said they were going get them a "deer rifle" on Monday. I asked her to use one of mine for this year to let the child grow before spending the money. She said that would be great, but what about practice??????? I asked her to let him "practice" with a .22 or .17 so he doesn't develope a a"flinch" to the deer rifles. I have a .243 that has no recoil, but is loud and I want a kid to make a clean shot at a deer/animal, so they practice with .22 till it's time to hunt. They never notice the recoil/rapport when shooting at a live target w/ good shooting technique.