SaltyCajun.com http://www.ccastar.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Offshore Fishing Discussion

Offshore Fishing Discussion Discuss everything bluewater from pelagics to reef fish here!

Old 02-10-2013, 08:54 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,059

I wish they would just cut them down and lay them on the bottom and put a buoy on them. It might not be cost effective but would prob help all marine life. I know the U.S.C.G. has rules about this due to them being a hazard to navigation but that's why there are things such as safety fairways,radar reflectors and lighted buoys. There are many of rigs that used to hold good fish 75-100 miles out of Cameron that are no longer there and not much life on the bottom where they used to be. It's not fun to run all night to arrive at the spot where a rig used to be 1 month prior.

BROWN FIN
Old 02-10-2013, 10:29 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 2,604

A percentage of the abandoned platforms have been proved to be bubbling, i.e. leaking so that is a definite point in favor of removal. Removal method is up to the owner (as long as permits are approved) and ~ half are still done via explosives as its the cheapest method.
Old 02-11-2013, 09:58 AM
Ling

Cash: 3,167

the top 50' of the structure would have to be removed per shipping regulations. this so happens to be where the most productive place in the water column because sunlight reaches this area. there isn't much primary production going on at 400', so the platform would not be nearly as productive sitting on the bottom of the seafloor. they need to remain standing for the best habitat, but who is going to claim the liability? who is going to pay for the lights/buoys/maintenance on these structures? is it worth it? its not for the oil companies
Old 02-11-2013, 10:23 AM
Flounder

Cash: 734

There is a federal program out there called rigs to reefs that offers an avenue for the oil companies to lower expenses involved with decommissioning the rigs and still keep the structures for reefs. If I remember correctly, the top part of the structure down to 80' has to be removed. It can be set on the sea floor next to the remaining structure. There are some other requirements, but once they are satisfied, the feds assume responsibility of the reef from that point on. It does not continue to be a liability for the oil companies.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:38 AM
Ling

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajun_poboy View Post
There is a federal program out there called rigs to reefs that offers an avenue for the oil companies to lower expenses involved with decommissioning the rigs and still keep the structures for reefs. If I remember correctly, the top part of the structure down to 80' has to be removed. It can be set on the sea floor next to the remaining structure. There are some other requirements, but once they are satisfied, the feds assume responsibility of the reef from that point on. It does not continue to be a liability for the oil companies.
Bobby Jindal has taken the money out of this fund and used it elsewhere though
Old 02-11-2013, 10:49 AM
Ling

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajun_poboy View Post
They are hiring a new coordinator for the rigs to reef program so maybe the ball is getting rolling, we can hope

https://my.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/337073800
Old 02-11-2013, 11:28 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,059

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360598502.423065.jpg
Found this at SAMs today. 2 12" snapper for under $20. But remember that during the 27 day season the recreational angler catches almost as much as the commercial fisherman catches that fish all year. I do understand they need to make a living nor do I have a problem with commercial fisherman. Just thinking its way cheeper to go to SAMs.

BROWN FIN
Old 02-11-2013, 03:57 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 3,962

Dink

There were rigs u can fish within 10 miles of Grand Isle.. And Catch Snapps...
Old 02-11-2013, 04:00 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 3,427

[quote="W";547483]Government has to enforce laws or you could get a maw and paw company who just let's a platform rust to no end and fall over in a small storm .
So yes government laws are in place for my safety and everyone else safety ! I sure the hell don't want to walk on a platform and fall though [COLOR=red]grading[/COLOR] ?

Have you ever been offshore ??[/quote]

Since you spend so much time offshore you should know its called GRATING

In the last quarter of last year we finished the worlds largest lift boat. It's equiped with a 500 and a 200 ton crane...... It sole purpose is platform decommisoning and removal. Works so well we have orders for 2 more and they want them want them all ASAP! L/B Robert is the name of the boat. L/B Jill is the next one and we also building another for a company I can't remember the name of.

[URL]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liftboat"]Liftboat[/URL]

http://www.montcooffshore.com/liftboats.php

Last edited by swamp snorkler; 02-11-2013 at 04:13 PM.
Old 02-11-2013, 04:50 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 3,142

[QUOTE=swamp snorkler;547904]Since you spend so much time offshore you should know its called GRATING

I am not getting in this argument but there is fiberglass grating that will not rust, and iron grating that will rust. Either one has to be attached to iron beams either by welding or clamps. I don't see what the grating comment was about. One way or another you will have rust problems without a corrosion prevention program, blasting and painting.
Old 02-11-2013, 05:01 PM
Ling

[quote=jdm4x43732;547916]
Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp snorkler View Post
Since you spend so much time offshore you should know its called GRATING

I am not getting in this argument but there is fiberglass grating that will not rust, and iron grating that will rust. Either one has to be attached to iron beams either by welding or clamps. I don't see what the grating comment was about. One way or another you will have rust problems without a corrosion prevention program, blasting and painting.

Hijack, but since this thread is got a few oilfiled workers responding - where can I find some of that fiberglass grating? I have found it online but is there a place in Louisiana that sells this stuff? I saw it used for an ATV trailer and also a deck in Grand Isle and its exactly what we are looking for to make a boardwalk out of in Grand Isle, thanks
Old 02-11-2013, 05:12 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Cash: 7,829

Like I said, platforms have to be removed and money is allocated to do so, whether its cut , pulled or blown up!! Its for the safety of the oil company to do so!

If you want to make a reef out of a platform I think it would almost have to be in 250-500 foot of water
Old 02-11-2013, 05:19 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 758

[quote=Duck Butter;547919]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm4x43732 View Post

Hijack, but since this thread is got a few oilfiled workers responding - where can I find some of that fiberglass grating? I have found it online but is there a place in Louisiana that sells this stuff? I saw it used for an ATV trailer and also a deck in Grand Isle and its exactly what we are looking for to make a boardwalk out of in Grand Isle, thanks
Grainger sells it.
Old 02-11-2013, 05:22 PM
Ling

[quote=budndawn;547924]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck Butter View Post

Grainger sells it.
Thanks
Old 02-11-2013, 07:53 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 4,182

[quote=Duck Butter;547925]
Quote:
Originally Posted by budndawn View Post

Thanks
You better be sitting down when you get the price of that stuff.
Old 02-11-2013, 08:29 PM
Ling

[quote=Gerald;547969]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck Butter View Post

You better be sitting down when you get the price of that stuff.
My goodness They want almost $900 for a 4 x 8 piece of that stuff

I did find another company who sells a similar product for less than $300 per 4 x 8 and think we are going to go with that. No wonder gas prices are so high
Old 02-11-2013, 11:23 PM
Ling

Cash: 1,584

[quote=Duck Butter;547976]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald View Post

My goodness They want almost $900 for a 4 x 8 piece of that stuff

I did find another company who sells a similar product for less than $300 per 4 x 8 and think we are going to go with that. No wonder gas prices are so high

SEASAFE in Broussard Louisiana
Old 02-11-2013, 11:48 PM
Ling

Quote:
Originally Posted by "W" View Post
Because the Bosses offshore know the cost and believe me they let us know daily of cost!

We have project bugets !! We know the cost of everything from cook and galley.hand to oil sales per day !
-

You know the cost they WANT you to know........What is cost?
Where does it come from? Is it cost to serve?

I completely understand the argument you are making,
But trust me, I can sell all day long for cost X .95, if no one cares where my cost come from.
It would seem to me, that they could top the things to a safety standard, then tow the top to shallower water, much like Alabama is doing, then making the coordinate known to the public, are hell keeping them private for thier own entertainment reasons.

the money is there, but can the companies parlay doing the expensive thing (right) thing into loyalty from customers to drive the stock price where they need it. Again, cost to serve.
Old 02-12-2013, 07:43 AM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Cash: 7,829

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplepeddler View Post
-

You know the cost they WANT you to know........What is cost?
Where does it come from? Is it cost to serve?

I completely understand the argument you are making,
But trust me, I can sell all day long for cost X .95, if no one cares where my cost come from.
It would seem to me, that they could top the things to a safety standard, then tow the top to shallower water, much like Alabama is doing, then making the coordinate known to the public, are hell keeping them private for thier own entertainment reasons.

the money is there, but can the companies parlay doing the expensive thing (right) thing into loyalty from customers to drive the stock price where they need it. Again, cost to serve.

cost *(kôst)
n.
1. An amount paid or required in payment for a purchase; a price.
2. The expenditure of something, such as time or labor, necessary for the attainment of a goal:
Old 02-12-2013, 12:20 PM
Ling

Quote:
Originally Posted by "W" View Post
cost *(kôst)
n.
1. An amount paid or required in payment for a purchase; a price.
2. The expenditure of something, such as time or labor, necessary for the attainment of a goal:

Thanks, you just made my point, go back to checking your gauges.