SaltyCajun.com http://www.geaux-outdoors.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 06-24-2011, 11:58 AM
Redfish

Cash: 678
Default Having Fun With Alligators

Hey guys, I haven't posted in a while. Here's a couple of recent videos I posted on YouTube. We've been doing some crabbing at Avery Island, and there's lots of small to medium size alligators in the area. We've caught a few crabs, but we've also had fun with the gators pulling on our crab lines. In the first video, we were playing a CD with alligator sounds. Before we turned it on, we saw the usual one or two gators just sort of hanging out, motionless, like they can do for hours. Within about two minutes of playing those gator calls, we had gators ALL OVER US! Like six or seven at a time in the area near the pier, with more making a bee line to the sound from way down the bayou. Apparently they recognize those sounds from a long way off. We had a lot of fun. Let me know what y'all think.

And here's the most recent one:

Last edited by Swamp Critter; 06-24-2011 at 12:23 PM.
Old 06-24-2011, 01:27 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 890

You might want to watch what you do with them. I was once told that it is against the law to antagonize a gator. He can mess with your line but you can't feed a gator or really mess with one. Do what you want but I would hate to see you get in trouble for just having fun.
Maybe remove the video for now, until you find out more. Just saying
Old 06-24-2011, 01:43 PM
Redfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by elebouef View Post
You might want to watch what you do with them. I was once told that it is against the law to antagonize a gator. He can mess with your line but you can't feed a gator or really mess with one. Do what you want but I would hate to see you get in trouble for just having fun.
We weren't feeding them, and the only reason I handled him at all was to untangle him. I think it was the right thing to do. I understand what you mean, though.
Old 07-11-2011, 05:42 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 890

Quote:
Originally Posted by elebouef View Post
I had gotten the wrong info about not feeding gators. You can feed all the gators you want anyhow it is not a good idea.
Old 06-24-2011, 02:54 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 764

I say kill em all.....where I live we have tons of them and I just shoot em and leave em there for the turtles.

The other day I was mowing grass and there was a 5' gator standing in my drive way watching me. They getting to tame these days. I don't want one to end up snatching one of my young'ens when I ain't payin attention. So I kill em all!
Old 06-25-2011, 07:46 PM
Redfish

What, no more comments? I figured lots of y'all would jump all over this.
Old 06-25-2011, 07:53 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,104

Purty cool. This is alot better than people catching them on purpose while fishing WITH HOOKS. Actually had a couple do this to us while crabbing oursevles once.
Old 06-25-2011, 11:28 PM
Redfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by iron man View Post
Purty cool. This is alot better than people catching them on purpose while fishing WITH HOOKS. Actually had a couple do this to us while crabbing oursevles once.
Thanks! Now, don't get me wrong, we had fun with them tugging on our lines, but this is of course WITHOUT hooks. Just chicken wings and turkey necks. We figured no harm done. It was fun and we had pretty much everyone on the pier trying it.
Old 06-26-2011, 12:02 AM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swamp Critter View Post
Thanks! Now, don't get me wrong, we had fun with them tugging on our lines, but this is of course WITHOUT hooks. Just chicken wings and turkey necks. We figured no harm done. It was fun and we had pretty much everyone on the pier trying it.
I hear ya. There was no harm done. I spoke to a WLF agent who is a good friend of me and he said as long as you don't hurt em or kill them, they're cool.
Old 06-26-2011, 08:38 AM
Redfish

I guess when people see videos like mine on YouTube, some of them think we must ALL live among the alligators here in Louisiana. Of course they thought that long before YouTube, or the internet itself ever existed.
Old 06-26-2011, 09:10 AM
Redfish

I'm just wondering, have any of you ever been crabbing, castnetting shrimp, fishing from the bank or pier when someone started actually feeding alligators? I know people do it, but so far I haven't seen it. Now, some places, WAY out in the swamp or marsh away from people, it really isn't a problem. But if there's houses, camps, and especially a popular swimming area near by, it could create a truly dangerous situation if a gator grows big enough, loses it's fear of people and associates them with food. I think if I ever saw someone actually feeding them around people, camps, or pets (a small dog drinking at the edge of the water would be a tasty meal for an alligator), I'd probably be tempted to say something. I just wouldn't want to come off as a jerk about it. Any of you ever see that going on and said something about it?
Old 06-26-2011, 12:33 PM
Red Snapper

Quote:
I'm just wondering, have any of you ever been crabbing, castnetting shrimp, fishing from the bank or pier when someone started actually feeding alligators? I know people do it, but so far I haven't seen it. Now, some places, WAY out in the swamp or marsh away from people, it really isn't a problem. But if there's houses, camps, and especially a popular swimming area near by, it could create a truly dangerous situation if a gator grows big enough, loses it's fear of people and associates them with food. I think if I ever saw someone actually feeding them around people, camps, or pets (a small dog drinking at the edge of the water would be a tasty meal for an alligator), I'd probably be tempted to say something. I just wouldn't want to come off as a jerk about it. Any of you ever see that going on and said something about it?
yes and yes

They had a couple (Baton Rouge city slickers) in Lake Verret would hang chicken legs a camp down to feed "their" gators at night by my buddies camp and we asked them not to. One day they were outside hanging them and we were swimming and drinking (partying is more like it, last day of senior year), when I noticed about a 8-9 foot gator swimming on lazily and thought nothing of it for a second. Well, it stayed there and watched us for a couple minutes and at one point we all got out to eat, well my buddy Scott was still in the water. I turned to yell at him when I saw the gator moving closer and closer a little faster and faster when Scott started swimming to the dock, the gator swam faster. Well, we always kept a .22 mag semi auto always locked and loaded on the dock for these reasons but never had to use it. Scott got about 2 feet from that dock and the gator must have been about 5-10 feet behind him when Jordon shot him (the gator) right between the eyes. After that, the city slickers started yelling about how we killed their gator, and we calmly tried to explain how feeding them makes them lose their fear of humans, but no. We're just a bunch of teenaged a-holes who grew up on the water and don't know anything about what goes on in the swamp or in the wild. Wildlife and Fisheries got called and the city slicker husband got physical while arguing with the Game Warden, he went to jail and the Game Warden simply said y'all did the right thing, but don't let this happen again; like it was our fault.
Old 06-26-2011, 01:04 PM
Redfish

Quote:
yes and yes

They had a couple (Baton Rouge city slickers) in Lake Verret would hang chicken legs a camp down to feed "their" gators at night by my buddies camp and we asked them not to. One day they were outside hanging them and we were swimming and drinking (partying is more like it, last day of senior year), when I noticed about a 8-9 foot gator swimming on lazily and thought nothing of it for a second. Well, it stayed there and watched us for a couple minutes and at one point we all got out to eat, well my buddy Scott was still in the water. I turned to yell at him when I saw the gator moving closer and closer a little faster and faster when Scott started swimming to the dock, the gator swam faster. Well, we always kept a .22 mag semi auto always locked and loaded on the dock for these reasons but never had to use it. Scott got about 2 feet from that dock and the gator must have been about 5-10 feet behind him when Jordon shot him (the gator) right between the eyes. After that, the city slickers started yelling about how we killed their gator, and we calmly tried to explain how feeding them makes them lose their fear of humans, but no. We're just a bunch of teenaged a-holes who grew up on the water and don't know anything about what goes on in the swamp or in the wild. Wildlife and Fisheries got called and the city slicker husband got physical while arguing with the Game Warden, he went to jail and the Game Warden simply said y'all did the right thing, but don't let this happen again; like it was our fault.
I guess these people would have been dumbfounded, shocked, and horrified to witness an alligator attack on a human being. I really think some people are naive enough to think alligators can be "tamed" somehow and not really dangerous. They don't "get it".
Old 06-26-2011, 02:07 PM
Red Snapper

Quote:
I guess these people would have been dumbfounded, shocked, and horrified to witness an alligator attack on a human being. I really think some people are naive enough to think alligators can be "tamed" somehow and not really dangerous. They don't "get it".
They're we tied it.
Old 06-26-2011, 02:40 PM
Redfish

Quote:
They're we tied it.
Huh? I don't understand.
Old 06-26-2011, 12:52 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Cash: 7,829

DOs and DON'Ts for Living with Alligators

Don’t - kill, harass, molest or attempt to move alligators. State law prohibits such actions, and the potential for being bitten or injured by a provoked alligator is high.
Don’t- allow small children to play by themselves in or around water.
Don’t- swim at night or during dusk or dawn when alligators most actively feed.
Don’t- feed or entice alligators. Alligators overcome their natural shyness and become accustomed or attracted to humans when fed.
Don’t- throw fish scraps into the water or leave them on shore. Although you are not intentionally feeding alligators, the end result can be the same.
Don’t- remove any alligators from their natural habitat or accept one as a pet. It is a violation of state law to do so. Alligators do not become tame in captivity and handling even small ones may result in bites. In particular, never go near hatchling/young alligators or pick them up. They may seem cute and harmless, but the mother alligator will be nearby, and will protect her clutch for at least two years.
Do- call your local LDWF office if you encounter a nuisance gator that has lost its fear of people.
Do- closely supervise children when playing in or around water.
Do- use ordinary common sense and precautions. Swim only during daylight hours.
Do- inform others that feeding alligators creates safety problems for others who want to use the water for recreational purposes.
Do- dispose of fish scraps in garbage cans at most boat ramps or fish camps.
Do- enjoy viewing and photographing wild alligators from a safe distance of at least 50 feet or more. Remember that they're an important part of Louisiana's natural history, as well as an integral component of many wetland ecosystems

If you see an alligator in a roadway, yard or other unexpected place, DO NOT attempt to move it! It is not only illegal for the general public to handle or possess alligators but can also be dangerous

If you hear an alligator hiss, it's a warning that you are too close.

If you walk near the water and an alligator comes straight toward you, especially if it comes out of the water, it is definitely a nuisance alligator that needs to be reported to LDWF. In many cases, these are alligators that have lost their fear of humans. This can be caused by feeding alligators (intentionally or unintentionally) or other reasons.

http://www.wlf.louisiana.gov/wildlife/alligator-hunting
Old 06-26-2011, 03:56 PM
Super Moderator

Cash: 18,514

Quote:
Like me cuz thats what the school could afford.
That's not why you road the short bus!

Sent from my EVO
Old 06-26-2011, 04:14 PM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulMyers View Post
That's not why you road the short bus!

Sent from my EVO

I knew someone would figure it out.
Old 06-26-2011, 04:44 PM
Redfish

Ok, this thread is starting to chase a really WEIRD rabbit right now.
Old 06-27-2011, 06:48 PM
Sand Trout

Cash: 663

Thanks for the awesome video, and the great music! If this was in California(where the Fish and Game laws are just to generate revenue) this would be about a zillion dollar fine. Apparently, its OK to have laws there to fine the people for messing with wildlife, but there's no problem when some developer comes in and clear cuts the whole place, then builds a bunch of houses and names the development "Deer Run". Yeah pal, the deer ran away when you showed up with the bulldozers. I hope that never happens in Louisiana like it happened all over California...at least you can still hunt and fish here without having to drive for 4 hours or have everything posted as no trespassing.