SaltyCajun.com lake area banner

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion

Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion Discuss inshore fishing, tackle, and tactics here!

LMC Marine

Old 07-18-2011, 04:16 PM
Sand Trout

Cash: 673

Wet Skoal has always been my choice held on by a band aid but will get a clorox pen, thanks for the information.. I have a flipper but most of my friends are afraid to use it..extra set of pliers grabbing the top jaw works well
Old 07-18-2011, 05:19 PM
Ling

Cash: 4,258

My son used the flipper a couple of weeks ago. It flipped it off,but he wasnt hanging the fish over the boat,and it slung right back onto the top of his foot. We had to yank it out.It was standing upright by its fin in his foot. I keep peroxide in the boat along with a first aid kit. Seemed to work pretty good,but the pain stays with you for a while. I have also used the catfish slime to rub on the affected area before,and seems to work well too.
Old 07-18-2011, 05:58 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,225

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasdad View Post
....Keep a close eye on the injured area, if the redness persists or spreads you need to seek medical attention. Hopefully no residual fin is embedded in your wound so you need to keep close tabs on it.
Vibrio is a very bad bacteria and not something anyone should take likely--I'm talking about loss of limb and possibly your life.
X2. My dad got stuck by a hardhead years ago and the fin broke off and got stuck in his hand. We could not pull it out ourselves so I put the hammer down and took him straight to the ER. I was extremely nervous about it at the time bc a friend of the family ended up losing an arm from being infected by a hardhead. He (our friend) later ended up passing away due to the bacteria that spread from his arm to his vital organs. That experience with my father made me very nervous and made me develop a new found hate for catfish. I always carry my trusty pair of catfish grabbers (its like a metal claw that opens and clamps on the catfish so you can hold it) every time i hit the lake now just in case a hungry one decides to eat my plastic that day.
Old 07-18-2011, 06:17 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 2,503

hard head trick. if you have a decent rod and it isnt a 5pound hard head reel him in leave about 4 foot of line and swing that sum beesh up and back down hard into the water making him slap the water. stuns the crap out of them and they dont wiggle. plus it relieves a little anger.
Old 07-18-2011, 06:18 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 2,283

I treat hard heads and gaff top like rattle snakes!! I don't allow them in the boat period!!! Catfish flippers are cheaper than the ER, and can prevent a very unpleasant experience. Jus remember to flip them AWAY from you, and down toward the water, where they belong!! If you get stuck rub the slime on the wound, it will neutralize the sting. The slime protects the fish from its own poison.
Old 07-18-2011, 06:53 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 4,604

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulMyers View Post
It works, Trust me!!!

BTW: Somebody flipped mine out of the boat and still had the hardhead on the line. If he posts in this thread he'll tell you about rubbing the hardhead slime on the spot where you get finned. He was skeptical, but tried it, he also said Thank You that really works.

Only trick is it has to be the same hardhead.
The beer was taking a tole on me PAUL

FYI this is no BS that mug stung like fire then he told me to do that and i was like man quit messing with me, he seemed serious i tryed it and within 5 minutes i was back to fishing with no biching.
Old 07-18-2011, 06:58 PM
Super Moderator

Cash: 18,497

Quote:
Originally Posted by flounder_smacker View Post
hard head trick. if you have a decent rod and it isnt a 5pound hard head reel him in leave about 4 foot of line and swing that sum beesh up and back down hard into the water making him slap the water. stuns the crap out of them and they dont wiggle. plus it relieves a little anger.
You learn that technique from Jude. He is the hands down the hard head slinging king as far as I'm concerned.
Old 07-18-2011, 07:48 PM
Ling

Cash: 2,477

I use those metal grabbers & squeeze the $&@t out of em till they're eyes pop out! No lie.....both will happen if you squeeze hard enough! Relieves a lil anger also! Then I giggle!
Old 07-18-2011, 07:52 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 4,604

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtretrievers View Post
I use those metal grabbers & squeeze the $&@t out of em till they're eyes pop out! No lie.....both will happen if you squeeze hard enough! Relieves a lil anger also! Then I giggle!
Success!
Old 07-18-2011, 08:09 PM
Great White

Cash: 2,534

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtretrievers View Post
When I bought my old boat, it came with a trolling motor handle extension. Stainless steel about 3' long...... Hardhead baseball after the first time I got nailed by one.. 2" pvc pipe works good too..... Hold about 8" above fish and whack.... Just like teeball

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using Tapatalk
Old 07-19-2011, 11:19 AM
Flounder

Cash: 692

first time i heard of someone losing a limb after a catfish sting.
most of the time they swallow the dang hook so far down till you have to work to get it out. not like its on their jaw or nothing simple.
Old 07-19-2011, 11:26 AM
Flounder

Cash: 693

When I was about 10 years old, I kicked a dead hardhead off the bank and into the water. The dorsal fin went through the rubber sole of my tennis shoe and into my big toe. Quite a mess. Needless to say, I was much more careful from that point on when it came to handling the sorry stinking things, but my techniques were not as humane as the flipper... M80s worked well if you wanted your hook back and didn't want to risk getting stuck. M80 in the mouth, light it, throw it back...and BOOM..reel in the hook.