SaltyCajun.com http://www.lyonsagency.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 02-28-2014, 12:56 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,852
Default reporting your trolling motor issues and reliability thread

if you have bought a 70-80 lbs thrust trolling motor in the last 3-5 years please say what you bought and when and what you think about it now.

mainly I am interested in if it has been completely trouble free or any problems you may have had and what did you have to do to fix it, or if it could be fixed.

please be specific about if the problem was the motor or the controls or something else and include the model and type motor you have, not just the brand since things change a lot with different models.

I would appreciate it if you ended your comments by summing up your experience with it and what motor you would get the next time and why.

I realize this may turn into motorguide vs minnkota for some people but reguardless of the brand because someone looking to buy one will still need to select a model from that brand and each brand has its own good and not so good models they offer you so that's why I ask for specific models with your comments.

hopefully this will create a great data base for anyone looking to purchase a new motor to be able to read.
Old 02-28-2014, 02:07 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,440

Bought a Fourtrex last year. It's 80lbs. No problems at all.
Old 02-28-2014, 05:32 PM
Great White

Cash: 22,543

I've had a 101 ipilot for at least a year. Best investment on my boat besides gps as far as I'm concerned. No problems at all
Old 03-17-2014, 10:52 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,852

well it doesn't look like it caught on as a good idea but thank you for contributing and trying to help guys
Old 03-18-2014, 03:58 PM
Flounder

Cash: 631
Default 70# Edge

Put a 70# MK foot control Edge on my boat a couple of years ago. I bought the 5 speed version. (I wish I'd had spent a few more $$!). Works great but I found that speed 1 and 2 are about the same, 3 and 4 or about the same and 5 is useless. When on 5 it has some much power that you can't control it. Also the foot switch is on the left. Wish it was on the right like my old MG. Good luck!
Old 03-18-2014, 04:22 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 964

80lb ipilot here. 0 issues
Old 03-24-2014, 10:36 AM
Redfish

Cash: 944

MG Great White the biggest, longest one. bought it over 10 years ago. I think I paid just under a grand for it. It had the "analog head" it went out 3 or 4 years after I got it. had to upgrade the head. I have spent probably 2- 2.5k on keeping it running. it is always a 400 to 600 fix or replace at $1200 kind of thing.

That extra long ss shaft always has a bend in it also. I have always had MG trolling motors but believe my next one will have a composite shaft........probably the gps locating feature also.
Old 03-24-2014, 06:06 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,142
Default trolling motors

Bought a new to me boat 3 years ago with a 70# Minn Kota Riptide. Had first trouble last week and Lake Charles Tackle replaced the 5 sp switch for $85 dollars. Considering all the abuse running into stumps and rocks the troll motor has held up great. Had a motor guide on last boat and had it 10 years and in the shop 4 times. If I had to replace the MK now I would go with another MK.