SaltyCajun.com http://www.matrixshad.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-28-2014, 12:43 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 4,452

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goooh View Post
I disagree with 4x4 not making a difference.

The problem is people with 4x4 have an increased confidence level, and increase there speeds while decreasing their alertness.

Zambonies are 4x4 for a reason. I drove from Houston last Friday in and out of 4x4 over bridges to test the control, and felt a noticeable difference. I've also lived in the northeast, and drove cross country quite a bit in icy conditions - I'll take 4x4 any day.

In a controlled environment while maintaining identical safe driving practices, the 4x4 will perform better than rear wheel only in my experience.
I agree. 4x4 can benefit if exercised with due care rather than increased confidence. There is NO decrease in stopping distance with a 4x4 and NO increase in safe driving speed. There are conditions when a 4x4 can get through when a 2WD cannot. The keys are to drive slow, maintain good distances between vehicles, and not underestimate stopping distances relative to visibility and road conditions. In some ways, the ability for a 4WD to drive slowly up inclines is very important when compared with the need of a 2WD to maintain speed and momentum not to get stuck going up an incline. It also helps a great deal to know the limitations of a given vehicle with and without tire chains. The advantage gained in adding tire chains to a 4WD is incredible and hard for a person who has never used them to understand.

But success in a 4WD depends on care and experience. Louisiana drivers are particularly poor with regards to spacing between vehicles, moderating speed to account for visibility and road conditions, and due care in signaling, lane changes, passing, and anticipating what may be happening in front of the vehicle.