SaltyCajun.com http://k2-coolers.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 03-14-2014, 04:18 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,061

HAHAHA this thread is awesome.

I'd love to sell y'all some $4.50 crawfish but we aren't even catching.

Good things we don't have any fixed costs though. So we're not losing any money!
Old 03-14-2014, 04:57 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,852

at todays prices im just eating mrs pauls fish sticks lol

i'll never pay over $2 a pound for boiled crawfish so long ago I called them an extinct species at my house and moved on to other things.

i'll leave them for yall rich folks
Old 03-14-2014, 05:15 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 7,965

i think $2 live is about my max price. when they get to that number' , I'll buy some. problem is....A lot of people don't see it that way, so the price may never get that low this year, cuz around here everybody is selling every crawfish they have for $4+ errr dam day
Old 03-14-2014, 05:47 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 556

As long as folks will buy them small crawfish at high prices ,The price will never go down and the size will never go up.
I see sacks of crawfish that would have fell out of the traps 10 years ago. Smaller mesh doesn't let anything escape.
Old 03-14-2014, 06:24 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 3,728

Quote:
Originally Posted by eman View Post
As long as folks will buy them small crawfish at high prices ,The price will never go down and the size will never go up.

This can't really be a serious statement...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-14-2014, 07:30 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 899
Default Live crawfish

Markets sell small crawfish because of the demand from just coming into season and the Lenten season. As molting starts to occur the crawfish will get bigger. The crawfish will reproduce, stocking density will go up, and small out towards the end of the season, big crawfish will lessen and that ends the season. There's the reason the sell small crawfish.
Old 03-14-2014, 08:00 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 556

Years ago when i ran traps some of the crawfish they are selling right now would have been able to get out the traps , Smaller mesh size keeps everything.
Old 03-14-2014, 08:08 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 720

Make a guy fish for the sack of crawfish he wants to purchase, he will change his opionion on the price.
Old 03-14-2014, 08:55 PM
Trophy Trout

What size mesh were you running?
Old 03-14-2014, 09:21 PM
Redfish

Cash: 699

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckingFastard View Post
crawfish farmers are making money off land they already use for agriculture. my friend does it and makes a killing. the only thing he has to pay for is diesel for the water pumps. the rest is already there! hard to make a living... right... hes getting rich off of nothing.
This dude has no clue, been doing this over 30 years and have never just had everything out there except fuel.
Old 03-14-2014, 09:32 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,440

Also crawfish do not reproduce during the season.
Old 03-14-2014, 09:54 PM
Trophy Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by papap View Post
Also crawfish do not reproduce during the season.

Correct. My post supposed to say keep producing. The crawfish reproduce right before they burrow, some later than others. That's why there are crawfish for a "season." There are different stages of juveniles. Producing in my previous post would have been referring to peak production.
Old 03-14-2014, 10:38 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Cash: 7,829

A guy who farms down the road from my house spent $200,000 this year before he caught his 1st crawfish
Old 03-14-2014, 10:45 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Cash: 7,829

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckingFastard View Post
crawfish farmers are making money off land they already use for agriculture. my friend does it and makes a killing. the only thing he has to pay for is diesel for the water pumps. the rest is already there! hard to make a living... right... hes getting rich off of nothing.
Wrong, there is a lot more than that, 1st off you have to seed every year and $3.00 diesel to pump water cost a lot

And then those $25 per trap ( might be more now)

And gas for boats
Labor
Bait
Repairs
Did I say pumping water?

Back in the day when diesel was. 30 a gallon you made more per sack than now
Old 03-14-2014, 10:55 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,440

$25 cages. WOW
Old 03-14-2014, 11:29 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 5,193

Lots of differing opinions here and most make a good point in some way.
My way of thinking is this.
If a man owns a crawfish farm he should be able to sell his crawfish for whatever price he wants. If he wants $20 a pound that's his business. You don't like his price then buy from another person. His farm, his crawfish, he owns them. I feel the same about price gauging fuel prices during natural disasters. Yes it takes an A hole to sell fuel for 10 bucks a gallon after a disaster but that fuel also belongs to the store owner. It belongs to him/her and they should be able to sell their own property for any price they want.
Old 03-14-2014, 11:54 PM
Redfish

Cash: 1,092

Call Obama and see if he can pass Obama Crawfish Care to get those prices down......plan and simple, cold winter, low catch and high demand = high prices. Very simple, when supply is reduced and demand stays constant, you will have higher prices. Believe it are not most craw fish farmers are still in the red this year, at least the ones in my area. One farmer told me if the catch doesn't get better, it will be suicidal, in a bad way. He made a comment on the line it would not matter if prices were $10, if he could not catch any, the result would be the same. He farms about 500 acres and has been paying 3 hands to sit around and do nothing. Ran 250 acres 2 weeks ago caught 3 sacks, you do the math. On another note, from what I understand, he made a killing last year and he thinks this year might be break even, if the catch does not pick up. But let's say he does make another killing this year, and never has to get off his couch to do it, what's wrong with this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-15-2014, 10:44 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,852

Quote:
Originally Posted by "W" View Post
Wrong, there is a lot more than that, 1st off you have to seed every year and $3.00 diesel to pump water cost a lot

And then those $25 per trap ( might be more now)

And gas for boats
Labor
Bait
Repairs
Did I say pumping water?

Back in the day when diesel was. 30 a gallon you made more per sack than now
agreed, its like farming, people say they don't do anything, just plow the field and plant the seeds and it just grows lol. just because you cant imagine all the unseen work and investment that went into it doesn't mean doing it is as easy and care free an endeavor as it is thought to be.

so much of what goes into it is never seen or understood. not to mention the times the egrets swarm in and eat 50% of the crawfish before they can be caught. I remember those poor guys on the news with nets and wire and fireworks and sound cannons having to sit on their ponds for 14 hours a day trying to fend them off just to survive because you cant shoot the damn things that were eating them out of house and home.

I think market depicts price and I don't begrudge them the high prices, hell they need to make a living, I just begrudge the ones overpaying and driving up prices for everyone else. where ever you get to a price you aren't willing to pay, that sets the top market price and it wont go higher until someone is willing to pay more and that's the problem. its the person who says he needs it and wants it and doesn't care what it costs that is the blame for such higher prices.

if it costs more to produce then the price we are willing to pay then people will go back to catching wild crawfish and not farm raised. the land owners will do whatever makes the most money from their land (as they should) weather that's crawfish farming or planting a crop. hell pretty soon they will all only be growing medical marijuana if they pass that law and you wont see much private land used for crawfish anymore.
Old 03-15-2014, 01:20 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 7,965

medical marijuana is grown indoors.....jussayin