SaltyCajun.com http://www.gator-tail.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 06-16-2011, 04:54 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: -189

If u think texans cat fish I'll take you over here one weekend and we will watch some Mississippi guys try to tie off to a rig in the sound for 45 minutes then watch them fish shrimp 10 inches under a cork in 13 feet of water...
Old 06-16-2011, 07:18 PM
Ling

Cash: 3,167

Quote:
Originally Posted by duck77777 View Post
I fish sabine lake over 30 times a year and fish other ports along the Texas Coast to there isnt a trout shortage going on. Texas is dead set on having a trophy program for every fish are animal they have. I lived there for many years I know how they roll. And a few people want to compare habbitat from LA to Texas ok look at the size of Big Lake Compared to Galveston bay complex are the Luguna Madre complex they seem alot bigger to me then Big Lake. Texas doesnt have the habbitat bull!!! They dont have the proper mangement.
You hit the nail on the head right there with the trophy crap, but the Laguna and Galveston compared to Big Lake - yes it is much bigger, but the estuaries and marsh primarily east of the Atchafalaya is a huge fish nursery. Not knocking on TX, but Louisiana just has more fish-producing habitat than TX. Deer, well that can be debated That will be for October! Bass too, but who cares
Old 06-16-2011, 08:33 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,466

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Dawg View Post
It's already happened here. The guides got the limit on big lake changed from 25 to 15 with a limit on big fish. No where else in the state is like that. I wonder why??? Cuz big lake has the most guides and easier faster limits=good business. Had a biologist tell me that the worst thing to happen to big lake was the reduced limit because the more fish here reduces the chances of big trout. And if you can remember when the limit was 25 there were a number of 10lb fish comin out of the lake. And also he said that releasing big trout did not play a factor. They're not like bass. They come and go. No point in releasing a big trout full of eggs. Now this was a biologist but he said their studies were over ridden by the guides.
I'm at a loss for words at your insight, wisdom and hearsay.
Old 06-16-2011, 08:47 PM
Redfish

Cash: 749

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Dawg View Post
It's already happened here. The guides got the limit on big lake changed from 25 to 15 with a limit on big fish. No where else in the state is like that. I wonder why??? Cuz big lake has the most guides and easier faster limits=good business. Had a biologist tell me that the worst thing to happen to big lake was the reduced limit because the more fish here reduces the chances of big trout. And if you can remember when the limit was 25 there were a number of 10lb fish comin out of the lake. And also he said that releasing big trout did not play a factor. They're not like bass. They come and go. No point in releasing a big trout full of eggs. Now this was a biologist but he said their studies were over ridden by the guides.
I am gunna respectively disagree with this statement You have far more boats fishing this lake than you did say 10 yrs ago I would say on avg that on any given sunday you have the same total number of fish coming out of the water as you did before the limit reduction

If you noticed the survey that Jody Callahan did as part of a LSU research , most of fish that were tagged and released survived and most of them never left the lake

The avg catch per person per trip is somewhere around 5 fish so a 15 or 25 fish limit shouldnt make a difference to the avg person

we should be out there having fun and enjoying the outdoors not concerning ourself with a limit or a box full of fish. the amount of fish we bring in should not determine the success of a trip

If we go out there and are concerned about bringing in food for the table Save your money and go to the grocery store IT IS WAY CHEAPER
Old 06-16-2011, 08:50 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 809

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajunhntr03 View Post
I am gunna respectively disagree with this statement You have far more boats fishing this lake than you did say 10 yrs ago I would say on avg that on any given sunday you have the same total number of fish coming out of the water as you did before the limit reduction

If you noticed the survey that Jody Callahan did as part of a LSU research , most of fish that were tagged and released survived and most of them never left the lake

The avg catch per person per trip is somewhere around 5 fish so a 15 or 25 fish limit shouldnt make a difference to the avg person

we should be out there having fun and enjoying the outdoors not concerning ourself with a limit or a box full of fish. the amount of fish we bring in should not determine the success of a trip

If we go out there and are concerned about bringing in food for the table Save your money and go to the grocery store IT IS WAY CHEAPER
Everyone on this site should live by this statement. Just have fun.
Old 06-16-2011, 08:54 PM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by "W" View Post
I would like to do a study to see how many trout have been saved from the 25 to 15 reduce in limit

#1...Only a few guides can go out and land 100 trout a day consistently
#2...Weekend Warriors do not fill a 15per person limit and never fill a 25limit
#3....Most guides quit fishing around 2pm..so whats in the box is it
#4....I can not see any difference in my books over the years from before or after the limit change....Only thing I can see is a quicker limit time wise

No bigger fish are being caught.........Top 3 trout in the lake were Pre-15 limit...
#1...False
#2...True
#3...True But most are in early with there limits.
#4...I thought you started saltwater fishing like 3 years ago.

There is no reason for keeping 25 fish per person. But even after 25 fish limits, gill nets and strike nets there are still plenty of fish in the lake.
Old 06-16-2011, 09:03 PM
Redfish

Cash: 749

catch a fish feed a man for a day Teach a man to fish--- he will take all your secret spots, motor across your drfit, chunk his anchor at the weirs, and then gripe about how few fish he can keep. SHAME on the greedy, selfish, boxfilling, "sportsmen"
Old 06-16-2011, 09:42 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: -189

There's every reason in the world for a man to go out and catch his limit....evis you can have your argument and no disrespect no matter how much u try to beat it in peoples brains at the end of the day it's still only your opinion just like my point of view is my opinion...my opinion is that I'm gonna keep my 25 fish no matter what..call it greedy or selfish or whatever you want but I'm not gonna spend 200 dollars to make a trip where I fish and throw back fish...i always have fun and enjoy myself on the water no matter what but I always judge the success of a trip by my take. Unless kids are involved....I am a FIRM believer that we will never fish the trout population to extinction on just rods and reels even if the limit was 50...this is an argument that has been carrying on for a couple years now around here and carried over from the other sight..why do I think this??? Well I'm fortunate enough to fish a place on a weekly basis where I literally witness hundreds of thousands of trout in front of my eyes..and on some days they are catchable and on some days they're just not...y'all guys over there don't always look at the bug picture...y'all think big lake and big lake only...big lake is a great fishery and no doubt the top trophy fishery in our state and top 5 on the gulf coast....but it isn't alarge enough fishery to even begin to hold more than 2% of louisianas trout population....for a man that only fishes 1 or maybe 2 % of louisianas trout population to say another man has no reason to keep his 25 fish limit is just wrong in my opinion...peep around my parts would look at you like your crazy if you brought that up...my kids will fish trout and their kids will and even my kids kids will cause of this...where I come from a big trout is a story to tell at the camp and nothing more...there is no way that 25 fish limits will put a dent in the trout population..I know this cause I've watched hundreds of thousands of trout spawn at multiple rigs in BS....I'm not trying to step on Antibes feet here just sayin don't tell a man he has no reason when there's nothing wrong with wha he's doing...
Old 06-16-2011, 09:43 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,022

Quote:
Originally Posted by duck77777 View Post
I fish sabine lake over 30 times a year and fish other ports along the Texas Coast to there isnt a trout shortage going on. Texas is dead set on having a trophy program for every fish are animal they have. I lived there for many years I know how they roll. And a few people want to compare habbitat from LA to Texas ok look at the size of Big Lake Compared to Galveston bay complex are the Luguna Madre complex they seem alot bigger to me then Big Lake. Texas doesnt have the habbitat bull!!! They dont have the proper mangement.

I guarantee you that Laguna Madre or the Galveston bay complex doesn't have near the estuary we have here. It's probably bigger than our lake here, but our estuary is phenomenal. Our interior marshes make up our lake. It provides extensive habitat for multiple species of baitfish and shrimp. Just about every customer I take out is amazed with the bait in our lake. And 70% of our customers are Texas based. We literally have this 20 miles from north to south and 18 to 20 miles east to west. If you would like to see this bait, I'd be glad to show you.
Old 06-16-2011, 10:20 PM
Redfish

Cash: 645

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatdriver View Post
I guarantee you that Laguna Madre or the Galveston bay complex doesn't have near the estuary we have here. It's probably bigger than our lake here, but our estuary is phenomenal. Our interior marshes make up our lake. It provides extensive habitat for multiple species of baitfish and shrimp. Just about every customer I take out is amazed with the bait in our lake. And 70% of our customers are Texas based. We literally have this 20 miles from north to south and 18 to 20 miles east to west. If you would like to see this bait, I'd be glad to show you.

Been to big lake no thanks rather go to Grand Isle and catch 25 two pounders in a couple hours and be back at the camp drinking beer
Old 06-16-2011, 10:36 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 2,303

5 trout limit is stupid period!!Theres nothing wrong with the trout population.They just dont know how to fish for or find the trout.2cool has become a joke.IMO 90% of the people on there arent fishermen or just beginners.The few guys I fish with are great trout fishermen.We need to lower our min length limit also.Most trout die from predators and diseases than from us and like W said they reproduce like crazy.So leave the trout limits alone,theres nothing wrong with the population!!!Learn how to catch them and you will see.
Old 06-16-2011, 10:51 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 4,090

Hell, I like em both, as well as Sabine . . . got my $93 La. license to go with my $70 Tx license . . . "just in case" . . . I will, at every opportunity, try to recoup every cent I spend to support both states' fisheries as well as keep the GW off my back. A successful fishing trip should end with a fish fry for friends/family and is well worth the $ spent . . . where ever they came from and whether or not they came from a "limit" . . . Indeed, the state of Louisiana is blessed to have the fishery it has . . . can I have a "hell yes"? Carry on . . .
Old 06-16-2011, 10:54 PM
Redfish

Cash: 645

Quote:
Originally Posted by preaux View Post
hell, i like em both, as well as sabine . . . Got my $93 la. License to go with my $70 tx license . . . "just in case" . . . I will, at every opportunity, try to recoup every cent i spend to support both states' fisheries as well as keep the gw off my back. A successful fishing trip should end with a fish fry for friends/family and is well worth the $ spent . . . Where ever they came from and whether or not they came from a "limit" . . . Indeed, the state of louisiana is blessed to have the fishery it has . . . Can i have a "hell yes"? Carry on . . .
hell yes my brother i do the same
Old 06-17-2011, 01:46 AM
Sand Trout

Cash: 656

W
why do you hate on Texas Fisherman so much, When i fish in Big Lake some boats from Tx and La will potlick you in a min. With say that they just don't have clue a what their doing. Most potlicker are guys that make good money and just started fishing their 40s. just my opinion.
Old 06-17-2011, 04:53 AM
Red Snapper

W's post on STAR winners over the years before and after the limit change is very interesting.
Old 06-17-2011, 06:17 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 1,003

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopedale Hustler View Post
There's every reason in the world for a man to go out and catch his limit....evis you can have your argument and no disrespect no matter how much u try to beat it in peoples brains at the end of the day it's still only your opinion just like my point of view is my opinion...my opinion is that I'm gonna keep my 25 fish no matter what..call it greedy or selfish or whatever you want but I'm not gonna spend 200 dollars to make a trip where I fish and throw back fish...i always have fun and enjoy myself on the water no matter what but I always judge the success of a trip by my take. Unless kids are involved....I am a FIRM believer that we will never fish the trout population to extinction on just rods and reels even if the limit was 50...this is an argument that has been carrying on for a couple years now around here and carried over from the other sight..why do I think this??? Well I'm fortunate enough to fish a place on a weekly basis where I literally witness hundreds of thousands of trout in front of my eyes..and on some days they are catchable and on some days they're just not...y'all guys over there don't always look at the bug picture...y'all think big lake and big lake only...big lake is a great fishery and no doubt the top trophy fishery in our state and top 5 on the gulf coast....but it isn't alarge enough fishery to even begin to hold more than 2% of louisianas trout population....for a man that only fishes 1 or maybe 2 % of louisianas trout population to say another man has no reason to keep his 25 fish limit is just wrong in my opinion...peep around my parts would look at you like your crazy if you brought that up...my kids will fish trout and their kids will and even my kids kids will cause of this...where I come from a big trout is a story to tell at the camp and nothing more...there is no way that 25 fish limits will put a dent in the trout population..I know this cause I've watched hundreds of thousands of trout spawn at multiple rigs in BS....I'm not trying to step on Antibes feet here just sayin don't tell a man he has no reason when there's nothing wrong with wha he's doing...

Amen brother. Everyone is entitled to their opinion but don't try and shove your ethics onto other people. As long as folks ain't breaking the law, then have it. I ain't gonna hang the lip on you or tell you to do otherwise!
Old 06-17-2011, 06:17 AM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by evis102 View Post
W's post on STAR winners over the years before and after the limit change is very interesting.

I agree and I find there is some merit to it. It's just like a 5 acre bass pond. If you don't take any fish out, you will have 5 acres of pickles.
Old 06-17-2011, 06:20 AM
King Mackeral

Quote:
I'm at a loss for words at your insight, wisdom and hearsay.

Please direct me to the biological study that suggested the limits needed to be lowered. I have never seen it or had the chance to read it.
Old 06-17-2011, 06:53 AM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Cash: 7,829

Quote:
#1...False
#2...True
#3...True But most are in early with there limits.
#4...I thought you started saltwater fishing like 3 years ago.

There is no reason for keeping 25 fish per person. But even after 25 fish limits, gill nets and strike nets there are still plenty of fish in the lake.
Dude Im sure I was on Big Lake before you were ever introduced to saltwater fishing.......

and No...I will say 65% of guides could not bag a 100 trout daily...it may be higher... Plenty of days at Hebert I saw boats come in with only 50 or 75 trout.....and your buddys guide service was one of them.......

Select few will go out and boat 100 fish a day on the lake...and yes there are days when everyone can catch a 100 but less than not....

and if you took live shrimp fishing out of the subject....trout would blossom to record numbers
Old 06-17-2011, 06:55 AM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by "W" View Post
and if you took live shrimp fishing out of the subject....trout would blossom to record numbers

And trout 5lbs and over would decline in record numbers! Or that is my theory/opinion.