SaltyCajun.com http://www.gator-tail.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion

Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion Discuss inshore fishing, tackle, and tactics here!

LMC Marine

Old 06-23-2010, 10:03 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,811
Default 22 Jun 2010 In the marsh

My buddy Tom has the Texas Redfish Series tournament there this Saturday, so I went down to help him scout out some new areas since I wouldn't be able to fish it. Well we got up early in the morning and proceeded south. We arrived at the launch at the bridge around 6am. We make our run and get into spot #1, bait everywhere and fish pounding bait back in grass. I am inputting some GPS positions on where to target next when Tom buttons a fish. Here is the fish 27.5" and over 8lbs on the boca.

Nice fish but we need it smaller. We worked around in the creek with me catching a bass, then decided to pole Tom into position for those shallow reds. Not 3 mins into the pole a fish surfaces next to the boat, I make the call out and the glare stopped my friend from seeing the fish early enough. The fish bedded down under some grass and later spooked.
So we decided to leave that spot and search for others. We work our way back into the marsh and once again see bait all over the place with them getting crushed by reds that were ambushing them. I get on the long pole and get us moving around the shallows once again, fishes pop up about 15 yds from the boat I called it out and Tom presents. Fish on, but the smaller fish of the two. Here it is. Pretty small but its a fish

We continue through the marsh with me poling, we kept seeing really nice tournament quality fish but by the time we seen them they were spooked and gone. They were sitting up under the grass and chilling in the shade. Well we made our around a point where I started hearing crashing at the surface, there was a small pod of fishing crushing bait. We made our towards the fish and Tom pitched in with a top water lure. Here is his fish. Again a little dink.

We worked our down the marsh with me missing a few reds on top water, when I hear Tom saying something like "eat the lure you d#$% fish!" I looked up and see a red cruising. Tom mentioned that it followed his top water bait then backed off. And now was sitting high and stupid really close to the boat. Here are the photo's.

So since he wasn't excepting anything from Tom I was happy to pitch at him and he was eager to inhale my bait. Here is the fish 26 7/8" and 8.5lbs, now that is what we are looking for.

We knew the quality was there but just couldn't get on them. We got our pattern and moved on. We moved probably 100yds and was about to get out of the area, when I looked left and seen this:

It was a school of reds killing bait. We killed the big engine and made our way towards the activity. From that point on it was red catching for the next 2 hours, on what every we decided to throw at them. Top water, gulp, spinner bait, nemire lure, etc. But they were all lower slot fish and some not even legal (too small) but it was a tug on the line to say the least. Well my bud has some good areas to catch em and I hope he does. I just wish now I can fish the tournament knowing what I know of this spot.
Old 06-23-2010, 10:06 AM
Entering A World of Pain

Cash: 9,579

nice report once again pole!!
The cops are the experts on the current criminal trends. If they have determined that a “high capacity” semiautomatic pistol and a .223 semiautomatic rifle with 30-round magazines are the best firearms for them to use to protect people like me and my family, they are obviously the best things for us to use to protect ourselves and our families .
Old 06-23-2010, 10:09 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 608

Awesome report man. It's an amazing site to see reds bunched up like that, and to be able to catch on nearly every cast is even better.

Sweet pics. Like seeing reds in the water, but love seeing them in the boat!
Old 06-23-2010, 10:24 AM
Great White

Cash: 2,738

Nice report,sweet pics!!
Old 06-23-2010, 10:27 AM
Banned

man i'd love to be out there now.
Old 06-23-2010, 10:30 AM
Great White

Cash: 2,534

those last (3) pictures are awesome..... thats a beautiful site.... nice report pole benda..... tall ya buddy we wish him good luck in the tourney !!!
Old 06-23-2010, 02:25 PM
Trophy Trout

Default Leave my friends alone

Hey guys thanks for the compliments. But I must say there are a lot of eyes viewing this post. Could those fishing the tournament please stop harassing my friends? Do you all think if I was scouting for a friend that is fishing a tournament and caught some nice fish in an area that I would give it up? Yes there are little bit of telephone phone poles in the first picture. Is it where you all think in west cove or behind the weirs? Absolutely not! or is it? How about this, if you can send me a map with a pin-point on where you think it is, and guess within 1/2mile I will send you the GPS spots of the fish.

Now leave my friends alone, they don't like to be harassed about fishing spots.
Old 06-23-2010, 02:26 PM
Great White

Cash: 2,534

lmao, get 'em son !!!!!!!!!
Old 06-23-2010, 02:30 PM
Great White

Cash: 1,902

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pole_benda View Post
Hey guys thanks for the compliments. But I must say there are a lot of eyes viewing this post. Could those fishing the tournament please stop harassing my friends? Do you all think if I was scouting for a friend that is fishing a tournament and caught some nice fish in an area that I would give it up? Yes there are little bit of telephone phone poles in the first picture. Is it where you all think in west cove or behind the weirs? Absolutely not! or is it? How about this, if you can send me a map with a pin-point on where you think it is, and guess within 1/2mile I will send you the GPS spots of the fish.

Now leave my friends alone, they don't like to be harassed about fishing spots.

Get em!!
I was going to fish the tournament...they lost me at the $100,000 insurance thing
Old 06-23-2010, 03:49 PM
Sand Trout

Cash: 650
Thumbs up

Nice job PB!
Old 06-23-2010, 06:17 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,022
Default reds...

Hey Benda, I thought you told me on the phone those were upper slot fish? One hell of a school!!!

BD
Old 06-23-2010, 06:31 PM
Trophy Trout

Damn Brady, let the cat out the bag, why don't ya. It's cool though keep the rest that I told ya a secret until Sunday if you could please.
Old 06-23-2010, 06:32 PM
Tripletail

Sorry!!! DIdn't know that was against the "code" of tournament fishing to tell the size of the fish. Got ya covered on the rest of the info, though.

BD
Old 06-23-2010, 06:37 PM
Trophy Trout

Thank bro! Still got to take you out there shortly and get you on the fish. And then later take you up on that gator dinner! Alright bro later!
Old 06-23-2010, 07:09 PM
Tripletail

Anytime. Nothing like some fried trout and alligator. Always hits the spot!!

BD
Old 06-23-2010, 09:05 PM
Ling

Cash: 1,750

Cool pics...
Old 06-23-2010, 09:28 PM
Ling

Cash: 5,573

Great pics
Old 06-23-2010, 09:42 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 3,995