SaltyCajun.com http://www.jerrys-marine.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion

Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion Discuss inshore fishing, tackle, and tactics here!

LMC Marine

Old 12-09-2011, 12:04 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 1,449
Default Tampa bay need some tips

Im heading down to the tamp bay area for work in a week or so. Has anyone ever been down there and done any fishing? I always like to try and fish anytime i go on a job somewhere. Just need some insight into the area
Old 12-09-2011, 12:09 PM
Great White

Cash: 2,738

If you have a few bucks to spare I would hire Jason Stock. I know a few people that went on a kayak trip with him and he was spoke very highly of. I think waterbowl on the site fishes that area too....he might be able to hook you up.

http://jmsnookykayakcharters.com/blog/
Old 12-09-2011, 12:19 PM
Ling

Cash: 1,329

I've been a few times. Are you pulling a boat?
Old 12-09-2011, 04:37 PM
King Mackeral

Nah not sure if my old boat would make it that far, looks like they do alot of wading down there which I love
Old 12-09-2011, 06:44 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,225

I'm there every spring for work. If you're a big inshore saltwater fisherman, don't go because you will be disappointed! Lol I say that candidly. I am a diehard speck fisherman at home but when I'm in Florida I only fish for bass. I waded a few times around the Skyway bridge and you can catch specks, reds, and the occasional snook, but I never had any very successful trips. I talked to a charter service in the Tampa Bay area about going speck fishing, and I told them that I am a part-time guide in Louisiana, and they even told me not to come because I'll get bored! Lol. A tarpon trip would be ideal in that area though. I chartered a trip on Lake Okeechobee instead and had a blast! I don't know how much time you have but it was about a three hour drive from Tampa and was well worth the trip. I went with a guide out of Roland Martin's Marina. They have lodging and everything there
Old 12-09-2011, 08:57 PM
King Mackeral

Yea I love me some trout fishing but I'm still fairly new to the saltwater. I'm obsessed with bass. I may have to save up some cash and get me a trip down there. Would love to catch a snook since I've never caught one before
Old 12-09-2011, 08:58 PM
King Mackeral

From the looks of your reports I need to book a trip on big lake with you
Old 12-09-2011, 10:03 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,225

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassAssasin View Post
Yea I love me some trout fishing but I'm still fairly new to the saltwater. I'm obsessed with bass. I may have to save up some cash and get me a trip down there. Would love to catch a snook since I've never caught one before
If you enjoy bass fishing then I highly recommend making the trip down to Okeechobee. You definitely won't regret it. That place is gorgeous and there are some huge bass to be caught there. There are quite a few guides that run out of Roland Martin's Marina and the lodging there is nice and very reasonably priced. And if you feel like sneaking around a golf course or two, the golf courses in the Tampa area have ridiculous bass in them. I caught my personal best bass on a golf course there!!
Old 12-10-2011, 12:41 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 556

We stayed overnight in Tampa for a cruise and they were catching snook out of the canal at night right behind the hotel. This was in April.
Old 12-10-2011, 12:52 AM
Great White

Cash: 22,543

Couple hours south is Charlotte harbor...really good fishing in that area. I can get you the names of some good guides there if you are interested.
Old 12-10-2011, 09:56 PM
Sand Trout

Cash: 627

I have fished with some local boys down there.We went out in one of there boats. On the way we stoped and got some live shrimp. We fished at the power plant.Did not get a bite.There were alot guys fishing on the bank. The hours I was there i did not see a fish pulled in.It SUCKED. Go on a charter boat if u want fish. I also fished on the sky bridge . Pay the fee.caught a few fish. Nothing to brag about. Hope this helps Terry