SaltyCajun.com http://www.ccastar.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion

Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion Discuss inshore fishing, tackle, and tactics here!

LMC Marine

Old 01-16-2010, 10:52 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Cash: 7,829
Cheers AP The Top 8 Inshore Saltwater Live Baits.Att Jordan

8. Fiddler crabs.

Fiddlers are easy to gather (their little pinchers don't hurt) and make a strong, cheap bait when fished near pilings for sheepshead. Hook them any old way, and use just enough lead to get the fiddler in the sheepshead feeding zone, which is usually from the bottom to halfway up the water column. They also will catch the occasional redfish, black drum or flounder.

7. Small Croakers.

Little croakers are surprisingly effective and hardy bait for big gamefish. They are especially loved by trophy speckled trout. Many folks believe the "golden" color croakers that occur in some waters are the best to use for bait. They are also very good for big doormat flounder. In some states you can't use them, though, as croaker come with a size limit of their own.

6. Sand fleas.

These little diggers are beloved by kids who like to gather them at the surf line. If you have some youngsters get them out there with a bucket, since sand fleas (sometimes called sand fiddlers) make great baits for the delicious pompano. If you don't have kids around they can be gathered up with special rakes available in coastal tackle shops. In addition to pompano, sand fleas will also take sea mullet (whiting) and the occasional flounder.

5. Pogeys.

Actually little menhaden, these numerous, delicate baitfish don't live long in a bucket or live well, but they are a top bait for slashing bluefish and big flounder. Just remember to add some action to the bait, since pogeys die quickly once they're cast out. Hook them through the eyes and they'll live a little longer.

4. Mud minnows.
There are a lot of little shallow-water baitfish that fall under the catch-all category of mud minnow. One of the big advantages of mud minnows is that you can buy them at coastal tackle shops and pier houses, in case you can't find any bait in your cast net or don't know how to use one. They are also very hardy and will outlive most critters in your bait bucket, as well as surviving in freshwater. Mud minnows are a top bait for the bottom dwelling flounder, and will also take loads of redfish and speckled trout.

3. Pinfish.

Few folks understand that these pesky little critters make excellent live bait for large gamefish. They can be fished under a cork for trophy speckled trout, but their best use lies on a bottom rig. Big doormat flounder just love a flashing little pinfish. Hook them around the tail for maximum action.

2. Live shrimp.

Nothing beats a live shrimp fished under a float or popping cork for speckled trout. Live shrimp are such a great speck bait that in some places government agencies have actually considered making their use illegal. Make sure to avoid the dark 'brain' area around the horns when you hook them. In addition to specks, live shrimp take tons of redfish, gray trout, sea mullet and sheepshead. They can also be fished on the bottom for black drum and flounder.

1. Finger mullet.

Everything wants to eat the frisky, jumping finger mullet. The smallest version of the striped mullet, these little vegetarians at the bottom of the food chain are loved by roaming game fish, bottom-dwelling crabs, and high flying birds. When a 'mullet blow' is in season hordes of jumping finger mullet schools whisk through inland waterways and the surf line. Hook one just above the eyes and toss it out on a simple rig (with no wire, spinners, or floats). There's no better bait for roaming redfish, bluefish, and flounder.
Old 01-16-2010, 10:55 PM
Great White

Cash: 3,391

Quote:
Originally Posted by "W" View Post
8. Fiddler crabs.

Fiddlers are easy to gather (their little pinchers don't hurt) and make a strong, cheap bait when fished near pilings for sheepshead. Hook them any old way, and use just enough lead to get the fiddler in the sheepshead feeding zone, which is usually from the bottom to halfway up the water column. They also will catch the occasional redfish, black drum or flounder.

7. Small Croakers.

Little croakers are surprisingly effective and hardy bait for big gamefish. They are especially loved by trophy speckled trout. Many folks believe the "golden" color croakers that occur in some waters are the best to use for bait. They are also very good for big doormat flounder. In some states you can't use them, though, as croaker come with a size limit of their own.

6. Sand fleas.

These little diggers are beloved by kids who like to gather them at the surf line. If you have some youngsters get them out there with a bucket, since sand fleas (sometimes called sand fiddlers) make great baits for the delicious pompano. If you don't have kids around they can be gathered up with special rakes available in coastal tackle shops. In addition to pompano, sand fleas will also take sea mullet (whiting) and the occasional flounder.

5. Pogeys.

Actually little menhaden, these numerous, delicate baitfish don't live long in a bucket or live well, but they are a top bait for slashing bluefish and big flounder. Just remember to add some action to the bait, since pogeys die quickly once they're cast out. Hook them through the eyes and they'll live a little longer.

4. Mud minnows.
There are a lot of little shallow-water baitfish that fall under the catch-all category of mud minnow. One of the big advantages of mud minnows is that you can buy them at coastal tackle shops and pier houses, in case you can't find any bait in your cast net or don't know how to use one. They are also very hardy and will outlive most critters in your bait bucket, as well as surviving in freshwater. Mud minnows are a top bait for the bottom dwelling flounder, and will also take loads of redfish and speckled trout.

3. Pinfish.

Few folks understand that these pesky little critters make excellent live bait for large gamefish. They can be fished under a cork for trophy speckled trout, but their best use lies on a bottom rig. Big doormat flounder just love a flashing little pinfish. Hook them around the tail for maximum action.

2. Live shrimp.

Nothing beats a live shrimp fished under a float or popping cork for speckled trout. Live shrimp are such a great speck bait that in some places government agencies have actually considered making their use illegal. Make sure to avoid the dark 'brain' area around the horns when you hook them. In addition to specks, live shrimp take tons of redfish, gray trout, sea mullet and sheepshead. They can also be fished on the bottom for black drum and flounder.

1. Finger mullet.

Everything wants to eat the frisky, jumping finger mullet. The smallest version of the striped mullet, these little vegetarians at the bottom of the food chain are loved by roaming game fish, bottom-dwelling crabs, and high flying birds. When a 'mullet blow' is in season hordes of jumping finger mullet schools whisk through inland waterways and the surf line. Hook one just above the eyes and toss it out on a simple rig (with no wire, spinners, or floats). There's no better bait for roaming redfish, bluefish, and flounder.

W, you remind me of #6.
Old 01-17-2010, 02:50 AM
Sailfish

Cash: 4,182

~ $ 50, if you had to buy them.

I don't think anyone sells pogeys or other kinds of bait fish in the Big Lake area.........they are way to easy to catch.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bait fish.jpg (62.1 KB, 188 views)
Old 01-17-2010, 10:45 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,424

Hey W where did this list come from?
I would change the order to shrimp, croaker, pogie, cocahoe, mullet.
Bash me if you must but I'll probably be soaking croakers for the tournament.
I'm not as good of a fisherman as you guys, croakers are my handicap.
Old 01-17-2010, 10:47 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 700

No size limit on Croaker in Texas. And the heck with using them for bait, I fry them suckers up, them are some good eating fish.
Old 01-17-2010, 10:51 AM
Great White

Cash: 2,534

Another worthless and pointless post by the W. He's so cool. He changes baits like obama changes his mind. W ur a tool. Ban me if u want. I don't care. W reminds me of tony taylor. His only way of "trying to be the best" is behind a CPU! Truth hurts huh W ?
Old 01-17-2010, 10:53 AM
Red Snapper

Jordan I think your reply falls under the self-defense clause!
Old 01-17-2010, 10:54 AM
Great White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan View Post
Another worthless and pointless post by the W. He's so cool. He changes baits like obama changes his mind. W ur a tool. Ban me if u want. I don't care. W reminds me of tony taylor. His only way of "trying to be the best" is behind a CPU! Truth hurts huh W ?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tool-logo-early.jpg (22.3 KB, 157 views)
Old 01-17-2010, 10:56 AM
Great White

I use more plastic baits than W has barbie dolls.
Old 01-17-2010, 10:58 AM
Red Snapper

Quote:
I use more plastic baits than W has barbie dolls.
Man..........................thats alot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is just part of W's collection.
Old 01-17-2010, 11:06 AM
Great White

Cash: 1,902

Quote:
Old 01-17-2010, 11:08 AM
Great White

Default potlickaaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gottogo49 View Post
Hey W where did this list come from?
I would change the order to shrimp, croaker, pogie, cocahoe, mullet.
Bash me if you must but I'll probably be soaking croakers for the tournament.
I'm not as good of a fisherman as you guys, croakers are my handicap.

go for it bud, do whatcha got to do to win. Don't worry about W he aint going to come close to winning, unless he potlicks Solari, Bruce, etc.
Old 01-17-2010, 11:11 AM
Red Snapper

does the etc. include hiring........................well you know the rest of the story.
Old 01-17-2010, 11:12 AM
Great White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reel Bender View Post
does the etc. include hiring........................well you know the rest of the story.

Old 01-17-2010, 11:24 AM
Great White

Cash: 17,285

Quote:
Jordan he could not ban the TX guys after the incident on SEPT 22nd.....
Old 01-17-2010, 11:37 AM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by all star rod View Post
Jordan he could not ban the TX guys after the incident on SEPT 22nd.....
You just had to bring that up didn't ya.

Old 01-17-2010, 11:44 AM
Great White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reel Bender View Post
You just had to bring that up didn't ya.

poor lil tink tink
Old 01-17-2010, 11:45 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 650

Self-defense clause?? Nice
Old 01-17-2010, 11:46 AM
Great White

That's bad. Post up worthless **** and then u ****? What's wrong *****? U scared? U own half the site and can't do a damn thing as a mod? Ur pathetic. End rant!
Old 01-17-2010, 11:48 AM
Great White

Quote:
That's bad. Post up worthless **** and then u ****? What's wrong *****? U scared? U own half the site and can't do a damn thing as a mod? Ur pathetic. End rant!

Can I have your cash? They're gonna take it.

Kinda like hidin' it in an offshore account.