SaltyCajun.com http://www.braggingbadges.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hobby Forums > DIY Forum

DIY Forum This forum is for discussion of Do-It-Yourself projects, including home building and remodeling, automotive repair, etc.

Old 06-19-2012, 05:32 PM
Great White

Cash: 22,543

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishinpox View Post
Lol I don't think the neighborhood is ready for my , front yard parking, ice chest left in the driveway for a week , dogs barking, me casting into a 5 gallon bucket , arse!!!
Place sounds kinda like River Ranch in Lafayette. Better watch out people in River Ranch arent even allowed to keep boats at their own house...
Old 06-19-2012, 06:23 PM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 5,316

Quote:
Originally Posted by meaux fishing View Post
Place sounds kinda like River Ranch in Lafayette. Better watch out people in River Ranch arent even allowed to keep boats at their own house...
This neighborhood was modeled after RR. I won't be able to have my boat here. Looking at warehouse space for all my toys
Old 06-19-2012, 07:55 PM
Great White

Cash: 3,391

Quote:
HOA is 900/year ... Very reasonable IMO
Yes, very reasonable. I was watchin' that Sellin' LA thing on HGTV and the HOA in this one neighborhood was over $150k a year.
Old 06-19-2012, 09:23 PM
Great White

Cash: 22,543

Quote:
This neighborhood was modeled after RR. I won't be able to have my boat here. Looking at warehouse space for all my toys
That's what I figured... My parents rented a house in RR while they were remodeling. All I can say is F that place I would never want to live in a place like that
Old 06-19-2012, 09:29 PM
Ling

Cash: 2,086

Quote:
That sucks; make sure the storage place for ur boat dont have restricted hours . Some only open 5/6 am thru 7-8 pm. Also remember to get one that has a electrical plug for ur charger.

Our HOA states that all recreational equipment must b kept inside the fence.
Old 06-19-2012, 09:44 PM
Blue Marlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by PUREBAY2200 View Post
That sucks; make sure the storage place for ur boat dont have restricted hours . Some only open 5/6 am thru 7-8 pm. Also remember to get one that has a electrical plug for ur charger.

Our HOA states that all recreational equipment must b kept inside the fence.
IM GONNA BUY A WAREHOUSE ....MY PLACE , MY HOURS . JUST TRYING TO FIND A GOOD SPOT THAT HAS 1500 SQFT+ AND A OFFICE SPACE THAT IS NICE ENOUGH TO MEET WITH CUSTOMERS AND NOT IN THE HOOD
Old 06-19-2012, 09:47 PM
Blue Marlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by meaux fishing View Post
That's what I figured... My parents rented a house in RR while they were remodeling. All I can say is F that place I would never want to live in a place like that
I DONT MINE IT , I WONT HAVE THAT BIG OF A YARD TO CUT , IM BUILDING ALOT OF HOUSES IN THERE SO I CAN WAKE UP AND WALK THE DOGS WHILE CHECKING JOBS, KEEP MY HOUSE AS A MODEL HOME , APPRASIALS ARE VERY VERY GOOD IN THERE SO ONCE I FLIP HOMES 2-3 TIMES OVER THE NEXT 10 7-10 YEARS ILL MOVE SOMEWHERE WITH SOME LAND ...OR WHERE MY FIANCE WANTS TO GO .....1+ACRE ON HIGHLAND ROAD
Old 06-19-2012, 10:06 PM
Ling

Cash: 2,086
Default Re

Quote:
IM GONNA BUY A WAREHOUSE ....MY PLACE , MY HOURS . JUST TRYING TO FIND A GOOD SPOT THAT HAS 1500 SQFT+ AND A OFFICE SPACE THAT IS NICE ENOUGH TO MEET WITH CUSTOMERS AND NOT IN THE HOOD
Ooooooohhhhhhh ; I got ya.
Build ya a man cave in there so when u pizzzz off the lil lady u got a cool place to crash!!
Old 07-14-2012, 08:00 PM
Blue Marlin

Just went to new Orleans today and bought a bunch of pre civil war cypress doors for the house , some will be spilt down the center to make french doors, some with be turned into Dutch doors . The big ones are 10' tall
Old 07-14-2012, 08:26 PM
Super Moderator

Cash: 18,491

I really like the doors. Were in N O is this place? Name, address?
Old 07-14-2012, 08:35 PM
Blue Marlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulMyers View Post
I really like the doors. Were in N O is this place? Name, address?
There's 2
- "the bank" off of Felicity st
-" riccas ar****ectural salvage" off Carrollton .

I suggest going to Riccas first and putting the items you like on hold then go to the bank . I made the mistake of paying in full ....cash...at the bank before we went to riccas . Well I found doors I liked better at riccas but there was no refunds or exchanges . Both places will drip/ strip doors , repair them, square them up so you can jamb them up easier.

Both have doors, mantles, beams, hardware, claw foot tubs ect...
Old 07-14-2012, 08:43 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks for the info. All of our ornamental iron came from New Orleans on this last house. When it came time for all of our trim, New Orleans was out of business. We started this last house in July of 05'. We had to deal with the shortages from Katrina and Rita. It took us 17 months to get in it. I'm sure in the next couple of years we will be building another one. 8 to 10 years is about all I can stand to be in one house. :o
Old 07-14-2012, 08:52 PM
Blue Marlin

Even if you're not building now go check those places out ....very cool. Plus it will help plant ideas in your head for the future that you can build your house around these items instead of trying to figure how to make a item fit later
Old 07-14-2012, 08:52 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 2,464

Them doors are fine, how do prices on those compare to new ones...... I know there's no comparing but just curious
Old 07-14-2012, 08:53 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 2,464

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulMyers View Post
Thanks for the info. All of our ornamental iron came from New Orleans on this last house. When it came time for all of our trim, New Orleans was out of business. We started this last house in July of 05'. We had to deal with the shortages from Katrina and Rita. It took us 17 months to get in it. I'm sure in the next couple of years we will be building another one. 8 to 10 years is about all I can stand to be in one house. :o
How did buying iron work in New Orleans compare to having custom made?
Old 07-14-2012, 08:55 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Even if you're not building now go check those places out ....very cool. Plus it will help plant ideas in your head for the future that you can build your house around these items instead of trying to figure how to make a item fit later
Very good idea, I might have to take Carol on a little N O vacation soon.
Old 07-14-2012, 08:56 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 714

Thanks for that info. My wife has been dying to start looking at places like that for a front door. I think that is her main concern with our house is the front door!
Old 07-14-2012, 09:02 PM
Blue Marlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by weedeater View Post
Them doors are fine, how do prices on those compare to new ones...... I know there's no comparing but just curious
If its a 6'8" or 8/0 solid cypress in a regular 2,3,5,,6 panel a few hundred. But if it's tall , unique , has original hardware they are more . The one in the pic with the iron has everything original including the glass, hardware, jamb, keys ect...they wanted $5000.00 for it . If you budget an extra 1200-1500 you can get a few really cool doors and not have to spend 5 k on one ....unless your wife and decorator tell you u must
Old 07-14-2012, 09:03 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 4,452

Quote:
The home I'm in now requires the boat be stored in the garage, but my next boat won't fit in the garage, so we need to be sure the next home will handle a bigger boat. Off site boat storage is possible, but it's way too much work picking up and dropping off a boat at another location every time we want to go fishing.
Old 07-14-2012, 09:06 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by weedeater View Post
How did buying iron work in New Orleans compare to having custom made?
Worked out great for us. Carol got exactly what she was looking for. We welded it up ourselves. Total savings was about 8 grand. I will say, ours is painted not powder coated. I have found that if it is prepared correctly and painted well, it will be forever before it will rust.