SaltyCajun.com http://www.ccastar.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hunting, Boating, and General Outdoor Talk > Hunting Discussion

Hunting Discussion Discuss anything related to hunting here!

Old 10-08-2011, 09:38 AM
Sailfish

Cash: 826
Question Public Hunting Land

First off, let me start this thread by saying that I am completely hunting illiterate! Please excuse any ignorance I may show toward hunting. I have only been dove hunting a couple of times but that was on family land in north Texas. I am really wanting to get involved in all types of hunting, especially deer and duck..primarily deer. I am a college student, so a buying a lease is out of the question.

Where are public lands located? I am not concerned about taking a trophy, shooting a doe would bring me just as much excitement as well as put meat in the freezer. I have been searching google and ldwf website, but I have not been able to find a map detailing public land. I also searched this site, with most public land info going toward duck hunting.

My father will be giving me one of his old rifles. All I know is that it is a .30-30 caliber. I have been doing research and this seems to be a good entry level caliber. It has a scope, but I do not know the dimensions.

Basically I am just looking for somewhere to get out and enjoy the experience of the hunt. I love being outdoors, so a day outside would be a day at school. Taking a deer would be a bonus. Any info on public land, hunting tips, etc would be greatly appreciated!
Old 10-08-2011, 09:45 AM
Great White

Cash: 1,902

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcjaredsandwich View Post
First off, let me start this thread by saying that I am completely hunting illiterate! Please excuse any ignorance I may show toward hunting. I have only been dove hunting a couple of times but that was on family land in north Texas. I am really wanting to get involved in all types of hunting, especially deer and duck..primarily deer. I am a college student, so a buying a lease is out of the question.

Where are public lands located? I am not concerned about taking a trophy, shooting a doe would bring me just as much excitement as well as put meat in the freezer. I have been searching google and ldwf website, but I have not been able to find a map detailing public land. I also searched this site, with most public land info going toward duck hunting.

My father will be giving me one of his old rifles. All I know is that it is a .30-30 caliber. I have been doing research and this seems to be a good entry level caliber. It has a scope, but I do not know the dimensions.

Basically I am just looking for somewhere to get out and enjoy the experience of the hunt. I love being outdoors, so a day outside would be a day at school. Taking a deer would be a bonus. Any info on public land, hunting tips, etc would be greatly appreciated!
First, ya need a quickdraw... lol jk

There is several public land WMA's North of Lake charles. Search WMA's in Louisiana. Start from there for the land. Sherburne is a good one I haven;t hunted yet
Old 10-08-2011, 09:47 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,260

Kisatchie National Forest, I have a buddy who hunts up there and he always manages to kill every year.

Also I know a lease that is relatively cheap Notrh of Elton, It was only like 350 a year if that is not to steep. Won't get any wall hangers probably but can come out of it with some meat every year probably. I would have to find out if they have a waiting list. My Dad manages a couple of leases for a group of Lawyers that own alot of land. Let me know if you are interested in any of these options.
Old 10-08-2011, 09:48 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,260

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntin fool View Post

There is several public land WMA's North of Lake charles. Search WMA's in Louisiana. Start from there for the land. Sherburne is a good one I haven;t hunted yet
Sherburne is another good one, ole boy killed a monster in there last week.
Old 10-08-2011, 10:00 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 4,609

Check out academy for Topo Maps. Very detailed, cheap laminated maps of just about every WMA in LA. Not sure if they still sell em though.

Like they said, Sherburne is a good one. Its huge.

Scouting is the ticket. Bring a GPS and just pick a direction that looks good on the map and walk. You willl most likely find areas to duck and deer hunt as sherbune is full of swamp and bayous.

And think of finding a new spot for ducks like w finds a new spot for trout. If you hear a bunch of shots, check out that spot after the hunt and mark it on your GPS. Remember, its public land, first come first serve.

Most of the time the trick to those places is to walk further then mosy ppl are willing to hunt. Get away from the knuckleheads.

Last edited by Armand16; 10-08-2011 at 10:18 AM.
Old 10-08-2011, 10:08 AM
Redfish

Cash: 875

Ldwf website has printable maps of every wma in the state. West bay is a good one once you learn how to hunt it.
Old 10-08-2011, 10:13 AM
Sailfish

Cash: 826

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntin fool View Post

Thanks hunting fool. So basically most WMA's are public land? Do I have to contact the WMA manager before I head into the WMA? If you don't know, no problem. I appreciate the input!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith_Stone View Post
Kisatchie National Forest, I have a buddy who hunts up there and he always manages to kill every year.

Also I know a lease that is relatively cheap Notrh of Elton, It was only like 350 a year if that is not to steep. Won't get any wall hangers probably but can come out of it with some meat every year probably. I would have to find out if they have a waiting list. My Dad manages a couple of leases for a group of Lawyers that own alot of land. Let me know if you are interested in any of these options.
$350 is not too bad, but would rather spend it on gear, gas, etc. I cannot hold a job during the school year due to 20+hours of workouts each week. What money I do have is reserved for bills, gas, food, etc. If I can somehow manage that, I will let you know. Thanks for the input!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armand16 View Post
Check out academy for Topo Maps. Very detailed, cheap laminated maps of just about every WMA in LA. Not sure if they still sell em though.

Like they said, Sherburne is a good one. Its huge.

Scouting is the ticket. Bring a GPS and just pick a direction that looks good on the map and walk your mccheese d i c k off. You willl most likely find areas to duck and deer hunt as sherbune is full of swamp and bayous.

Most of the time the trick to those places is to walk further then mosy ppl are willing to hunt. Get away from the knuckleheads.
I will have to call academy and see if they carry them. Save McCheese comments for the gill net brotha! While scouting, what should I look for? Knowing I won't have a feeder, I know they love acorns. Should I look for large stands of acorns? Also your last statement makes a lot of sense. I'm in good shape and dont have a problem walking farther than most people. A handheld GPS will be the ticket. Thanks for the input!!
Old 10-08-2011, 10:24 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 4,609

Quote:
While scouting, what should I look for? Knowing I won't have a feeder, I know they love acorns. Should I look for large stands of acorns? Also your last statement makes a lot of sense. I'm in good shape and dont have a problem walking farther than most people. A handheld GPS will be the ticket. Thanks for the input!!
I would look for tracks and scrapes first as they are signs that they are def in the area. Then try to determine what their food source might be. Also take into condieratoin an area that could afford you a decent shooting lane.
Old 10-08-2011, 11:09 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,468

Best advice I can give about WMAs is just to pick one and scout it well before the season starts. Study the maps and pick the one that suits you best. I know guys who like to hunt a few different places each season (nothing wrong with that) but because of that dont get to scout as well as the would have if they had picked one and stuck with it. If you dont like it pick another to try the following season. Youve got to hunt public land hard and aggressively. There is a lot of competition in th woods with you. A GPS is almost a must have. Your rifle is plenty of gun for hunting around here. Find yourself a good climber also. Most WMAs have a check in/out station. Usually just a card to fill out and a tag for your windshield. The season hunting pamphlets have all the information for the different WMAs including schedules, special regs, and open/closed areas. Public lands can be dangerous. Be courteous of other hunters and dont forget your orange!!!! Best of luck to you and keep us posted with any questions you have.
Old 10-08-2011, 12:44 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 3,455

Make sure you have GPS. Last thing you wanna do is get lost. Only public land I have been on is Sherbune. I turkey hunt out there. Very big and very accesible with ATV trails, pipelines, and gravel roads. If u go there, good idea to bring hip boots. Lots of sloughs and standing water in most areas. Good luck. Good person to talk to about WMAs on here would be Gerald. He knows alot of them very well.
Old 10-08-2011, 12:51 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 2,464

Being that you live in Lake Charles and money is tight we have a very good WMA that would work great with alittle effort from you but you will need a boat. Sabine Island WMA is over by Nibblets Bluff on the state line so its just a short drive if you just want to go scout or just dive over and make a hunt and go home. My family has several Bucks hanging on walls from the island but there are also allot of does and there use to be and still maybe some good squirrel and duck hunting in there. There are a few more WMA's not much further from here.
As stated before get you a GPS because you will need it, you will need a climbing stand and as for the rifle I have access to about any caliber I would want and still shoot a 30-30 in Louisiana.
I have a older " Garmin GPS 12" that I dont use and would be willing to part with for cheap if interested and if I can help you with info on Sabine Island I will give you what I can and I will offer to take you if interested to hunt alittle on some land I have that has stands and feeders. Send me a PM on anything and I will try to help
Old 10-08-2011, 03:06 PM
Calcasieu Extreme Rods

Cash: 13,323

Jared, we hunt Clear Creek some. It is about an hour north of Dequincy. It is a State WMA. All WMA's are state ran and open for public hunting.

West Bay is just west of Oakdale and as said is a pretty good WMA, although the roads there can be TERRIBLE.

Sabine Island can be great also. Have not been on the island in 12 years or so.

Easiest way to learn is find someone to hunt with.

I got on a lease this year because of my hip/back. Usually only hunt WMAs or National Wildlife Refuges.

Oh, and Fort Polk is open for hunting also and has a good bit of deer.

I will holler at you if I go scouting and you can ride along if you want.
Old 10-08-2011, 03:08 PM
Calcasieu Extreme Rods

Oh yeah, saw some where that someone was selling a Garmin ETREX. They run about $100 new and I think they wanted $50. I think it was on SC
Old 10-08-2011, 07:47 PM
Flounder

Cash: 626
Default Maps

Once you pick a WMA find out what USGS quad it is in. You can find the usgs quad maps at most local sporting goods stores or order them online. Since most of these maps were set in stone in the 70's you will need to update them. When you do your scouting fill in road names and landmarks on the paper maps. You can view these maps online through usgs.gov. Go to maps/pubs then go to the national map viewer. You cannot print them but they are a very good way to narrow down where you should scout. Vegetation,water, and buildings change over time but elevation does not. This should save tons of time. These maps are huge like 3'x5'. Good luck and learn the capabilities of your 30-30.
Old 10-08-2011, 08:31 PM
Calcasieu Extreme Rods

Ship to Shore has topo maps
Old 10-08-2011, 08:58 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 1,334

U gots mail
Old 10-08-2011, 09:00 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 2,864

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchief View Post
Oh yeah, saw some where that someone was selling a Garmin ETREX. They run about $100 new and I think they wanted $50. I think it was on SC
I still have my garmin Etrex for $50. it works great for WMAs. Use one just like it for clear creek. buy my garmin and i'll show you a map of clear creek with all the pipelines marked.
Old 10-08-2011, 09:42 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,535

sent you a pm
Old 10-09-2011, 01:24 AM
Sailfish

Cash: 4,182

Quote:

hunting illiterate.... First I suggest you read the LDWF Hunting regulation: http://www.wlf.louisiana.gov/sites/d...nting_regs.pdf

Best place to get a copy of the booklet is at the LDWF office near the I-10 bridge on the south side of I-10. Try to learn all the regulations.

Have you taken the Hunter Safety course? You have to complete this course before you can get a hunting license.

Where are public lands located.... Others have mentioned the nearest WMA's or National Forest. All are good places and probably have about the same amount of Deer [per acre]. As to which place is "the best" to hunt..... that is mosly a matter of what type land you like to hunt. I first hunted the swamp lands of Sherburne and when I moved to Lake Charles, 15 years ago, I started hunting "Pinny Woods" at Clear Creek and West Bay. I still go back to Sherburne several times a year. To be successful, you can either be "Lucky" or put in some time scouting to find a good place to hunt.

find a map detailing public land...... http://www.wlf.louisiana.gov/sites/d...clearcreek.pdf
The "side" roads marked on the CC map are not very accurate. Many roads are not shown and the roads that are shown, are often much different. The main roads are fairly accurate.

Each WMA has a link to the maps. http://www.wlf.louisiana.gov/wma

All I know is that it is a .30-30 caliber... This is a good gun for most hunting in Louisiana. If you were hunting places where you had shots of say 125+ yards.... other calibers would be better. I have shot Cork-lock bullets in a .243 cal. rifle for 25 years. Lots of hunter consider this to be a "small" gun for Deer hunting..... but I drop most of my Deer so I don't feel the need to change. Your post is written such that I ask..... how much experience do you have shooting a rifle?

Gun hunting season opens at the end of Oct. in area 3 so you don't have much time to get ready. After you read the Hunting regulations and look at the maps.... it will be time to do some scouting. I mostly go during the week because there are very few other people there then. When do you have time to go scouting/hunting?

Opening weekend of either sex hunting can be fairly crowded but after that there usually are not that many hunters.
Old 10-09-2011, 01:32 AM
Great White

Cash: 2,738

30 30 is all you need,hunted with one for several years had no problem killing. If you decide on hunting sherburne I can show you some spots I have killed in the past before I started hunting in the piney woods up north. I still make a few hunts a year on public land,mostly during bow season. If you have access to a jon boat you can hunt the areas with less pressure from other hunters.