SaltyCajun.com http://www.lmcboats.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion

Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion Discuss inshore fishing, tackle, and tactics here!

LMC Marine

Old 05-18-2010, 11:31 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 4,182
Default Prien Lake 5-17-10

Glenn and I met at the I-210 just after daylight in hopes of finding some fish. After trying a couple of spots along the ship channel without any luck, we when up to Lake Charles.

Here we were greated to some light chop from the 10 mph east wind. The water looked good, but no bait to be seen after riding around the lake. We found what looked like a fish slick......but no takers.

We tried several spots along the ship channel again, and along the banks of the old river. I finally caught a 17" Red along the bank of the old river to put in the ice chest . The water was mostly clear......12" to 18" visibility but we saw very few schools of bait fish all morning. Three weeks ago, bait was everywhere in this area.

With artifical baits not catching.....I caught some small shad to give them a try. Using the shad......we starting catching fish.....croaker, catfish and a couple of rat reds......but nothing to keep. Only thing interested in the croaker on drift lines were the crabs.

After catching a few croaker at each spot.....we tried another. About noon, we decided that we had had enough "fun" fishing and it was well passed time to head home.

While pulling up the anchor, I noticed 1 seagull flying around near the bank. By the time I started up the engine, there was 2 gulls circling the area. Why not give it a try!!!!!!!!!

By the time we move near the area, the birds were gone. After several cast, Glenn saw some bait action farther down the bank. While heading that way, I got a good "tap". Then a few cast later....another "tap" and a 3 rd tap, but no takers.

While this action was going on.......we saw why the birds had left. They had joined several other gulls and looked to be feeding.

1.5 hours later, we had caught 10 nice trout and 2 more Red fish. Glenn was catching his fish using a cork and sparking beatle (?) and I was using a glow/chart sand eel jr. both baits catching about the same number of fish.

Just when we had decided to call it a bad day......things turned on. We probably could have caught some more.....but we were both happy with the catch.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 10 trout, 3 red 5-17-10 Prien L.jpg (56.3 KB, 211 views)
File Type: jpg 5-17-10.jpg (63.1 KB, 212 views)
Old 05-18-2010, 11:44 PM
The Camp Cook....

Cash: 13,857

Good report and a nice mess of fish....
Old 05-18-2010, 11:49 PM
Banned

my buddy caught 9 flounder by the port the other day, and a ton of specks under the lights in the channel in that area. rain might have moved them around some.
Old 05-19-2010, 09:21 AM
Ling

Cash: 4,851

not bad gerald, i may try and get away from dirt work and do some fishing this weekend myself thanks for the report
Old 05-19-2010, 09:41 AM
Sailfish

Cash: 4,182

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaAngler View Post
my buddy caught 9 flounder by the port the other day, and a ton of specks under the lights in the channel in that area. rain might have moved them around some.
We tried that point on the south side of the Port.......caught a couple of rat reds there.
Old 05-19-2010, 10:37 AM
Ling

Cash: 1,750

Fry em upppp.....
Old 05-19-2010, 10:43 AM
Flounder

Cash: 600
Default Nice

Nice mess of fish there. Good report.
Old 05-19-2010, 10:54 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 600

Been working at the Civic Center for the City Health Fair this week looking at the lake has been killing me. Watch some fish working some bait schools about 100 yds off the seawall yesterday, the water was like glass. I am going to have to go soon or I'll go nuts.