SaltyCajun.com lake area banner

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 01-27-2013, 07:19 PM
Sand Trout

Cash: 553
Default Pogie meal for my garden?

Some people in Cameron that I know said they used pogie meal for fertilizer when they used to grow a garden? Is this true and where can I get some. I am in Lake Charles.
Old 01-27-2013, 07:28 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 460

You can get it at the feed store in lake Charles. But be careful I've heard stories from a couple guys that put too much and burnt everything he planted. Some pretty potent stuff apparently.
Old 01-27-2013, 07:32 PM
Sand Trout

Cash: 553

Yep, they say it doesn't take much? Can anyone tell me what feedstore to get it from??
Old 01-27-2013, 07:44 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 611

Fletcher's and Curries
Old 01-27-2013, 08:13 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 1,505

How do you figure how much to use?

Sent from my stupid iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-27-2013, 08:26 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,103

I use the old tried and true, I bury all fish, after filleted, in the flower bed and garden.

A couple of years ago I had a mess of shad, I line the hole that I placed the tomatoes in, and that was the best crop I have ever had.

Got to dig deep or the coons dig holes in your garden.
Old 01-27-2013, 08:29 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 460

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fastmerc View Post
How do you figure how much to use?

Sent from my stupid iPhone using Tapatalk
If your plants turn brown you used too much! Lol. I turned my plants brown once. I just dump all my scrap in my garden and when I plow it I put a little fertilizer and plow it in with lime. But by no means am I a gardener. I just grow tomatoes and cucumbers zuccini and squash.
Old 01-27-2013, 09:05 PM
Flounder

Cash: 789

Seems like every cat/coon within 10 miles would be digging in there
Old 01-27-2013, 09:40 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 2,464

My grandpa gets it from the plant in Cameron, not sure if you can just pull and buy it but won't hurt to maybe call
Old 01-28-2013, 12:35 AM
Sailfish

Cash: 4,182

Quote:
Originally Posted by dqraider2 View Post
Some people in Cameron that I know said they used pogie meal for fertilizer when they used to grow a garden? Is this true and where can I get some. I am in Lake Charles.
When you see the cost of the pogie meal.....you will be better off getting a bag 13-13-13.

I have thought about bringing home an ice chest full of shad and put them in the garden, but the wife was not too keen on that when I told her.

FYI....you will kill bell pepper plants if you put much fertilizer near them.
Old 01-28-2013, 03:19 AM
Sailfish

Chicken crap is something else good in a garden but it tends to be strong and like the pogie it can burn your plants... we always put pogie or chicken crap down a month or so ahead of planting and plowed it in
Old 01-28-2013, 03:27 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,461

I tried chicken poop from feed store 2 years in a row, you are right very strong. Killed almost all my plants both years. Lesson learned for me. Smells like straight ammonia when pouring out of bag. Use with caution.

Sent from my MB886 using Tapatalk 2
Old 01-28-2013, 04:29 AM
Sailfish

You buy chicken crap from chicken house at Toledo by the truck or trailer
Old 01-28-2013, 08:00 AM
Sailfish

Cash: 1,334

Quote:
Originally Posted by weedeater View Post
You buy chicken crap from chicken house at Toledo by the truck or trailer
Dad uses it but it has to cure for a year before it can be used, PIA if ya ask me.
Old 01-28-2013, 12:47 PM
Redfish

Cash: 479
Default Careful

Pogie meal is a great product, but as said before, be careful. If you can, place meal in ground at least one month prior to planting. If you do not have that time, place a tablespoon about three inches from base of new plants or a 1/2 cup from base of mature plants. Meal should be placed in hole at least 2 inches deep. Chicken poop is the best, but also the most powerful. After your garden in finished for the spring, assuming you will not have a fall garden in same location, dump one inch of chicken manure over entire beds. Work that stuff in soil and let set until next spring. You may also try rabbit poop but that usually adds unwanted weeds to your soil once spring comes around. As to rabbit poop, that manure will not burn existings plants.
Old 01-28-2013, 11:54 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 4,182

The same thing can be said for using Urea [Nitrogenous compound] to ferterlize plants or grass.

Years ago, I got a 50 bag cheap from a guy that got it from where he worked. This stuff is mostly nitrogen. The guy told me to just mix a little in with some 8-8-8 and spread it out good in the yard. I did as he said, and put it out on the lawn that spring. After a couple of weeks I could see the grass really greening up.

Then the grass cutting begain. The first couple of weeks, not so bad. Then it got to where 3 days after cutting the grass, you could not even tell it had been cut. After 5 days growth, the grass needed cutting. If I waited until the weekend (7 days) I had to also rake the yard because there was that much cut grass.

The grass grew like that for 3+ months that summer. I don't remember what I did with the rest of that 50 lb bag, but it probable was not put in the yard.

I tried some rabbit poop [got it from a neighbor] this past spring after the garden plants were growing. I did not really notice any gowth difference.
Old 01-29-2013, 12:23 AM
Sailfish

Urea will make stuff green up big time, I plant rye grass in the fall on less then 3/4 acre and over the winter I will put out close to 200lb urea on my yrd.... it gets the darkest green grass possible and looks great but make sure you plant Royal Flush or compatible rye, this is for golf courses and grows slower. I put trip13 on all shrubs and trip16 on yrd during summer.... I put about 300lb on yrd over a summer and put 4 big bags of Scott's weed and feed over the months of March and April. On gardens its best to put your fertilizer out and plow it in a few months before planting and then replow just before making rows...... another good fertilizer is Osmocote, its slow release and won't harm you plants, shrubs or in garden, and it will last a few months.... this is the little yellow pellets you see in the dirt when you remove plants from containers.

Last edited by weedeater; 01-29-2013 at 12:34 AM.