SaltyCajun.com http://k2-coolers.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 01-30-2013, 05:32 PM
Redfish

Cash: 809

Would be interested in seeing more pictures of your project as well, if possible. Not sure the difference between the pole barn and the building I am looking at...I was told that the threaded rods would be installed when we poured our slab....The pole barn type may be a better option for me based one what I learn about it.
Old 01-30-2013, 06:34 PM
Ling

Cash: 3,167

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegr8cody View Post

I see a WOMAN in there!
Old 01-30-2013, 06:45 PM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 3,546

Frank Buck, contact Simplepeddler on here. He has family in Pumpkin Center (I think) that is in this business. Not sure what they could do for you but, it never hurts to check em out.
Old 01-30-2013, 07:11 PM
Redfish

Cash: 758

I built a 30X40 with a 25X40 lean to. I wish I would have listened to several friends advice and insulate it. Also a second roll up door so you could get a breeze!! Wish I would have went bigger to.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 103_0835.jpg (66.2 KB, 248 views)
File Type: jpg 103_0829.jpg (77.3 KB, 250 views)
File Type: jpg 103_0830.jpg (62.4 KB, 251 views)
Old 01-30-2013, 07:35 PM
Sand Trout

Cash: 713

I sell metal buildings to contractors and individuals for a metal building manufacturer. I've sold them for the last 12 years, anything from backyard shops to big commercial and warehouse buildings to everything in between. Be careful dealing with the internet companies and building brokers, those you hear advertised on the radio and see advertised in the back of magazines. They will shoot you a low price but it is never the correct building code or wind loading for your area. Also the prices they advertise are strictly FOB at the plant, where ever that may be. Check out the MBMA website (http://www.mbma.com/) and use one of the companies listed there. They are audited yearly in every facet of design and manufacturing and have standards to uphold.
Do not try to pour your own concrete or erect the building if you purchase one. In most areas of the state you are required to permit these buildings and don't let anyone tell you differently. Spend the money getting the slab correct to begin with and do not skimp on this. The two worst things I hear when I sell these to individuals are, "I have a buddy that owes me a favor and is going to do the slab for me one week-end" or "I'm doing it myself". I can just about guarantee you the slab will be out of square and there is nothing that will screw your erector up more than a messed up slab. These buildings are made to be plumb and square to bolt together. There is no slack in the buildings to cover out of square. You start talking about field modification then (cutting and welding to cover the screw-ups).
Erecting the building takes specialized tools to do correctly and also experience reading erection drawings and knowing how components are piece marked. You also need heavy equipment to unload and handle the components. The building is steel and nothing is light like on a wooden structure.
After a building is up, then a do-it-yourselfer can finish out the interior any way he wants. You basically have to frame all the walls up where you want them and put whatever electrical and finishes you desire. Note that if you put any plumbing in you have to do this before the slab is poured, needing some kind of plumbing know how.
In short, stick to a reputable manufacturer, pay attention to the concrete and erection, and you definitely can finish the inside like you want if your skills are up to the challenge.
One last note, the value in these buildings are in the 30' x 40' x 12' and 40' X 50' X 12' sizes for home use. 20' wide buildings are expensive for what you get.
Send me a PM for any additional way I can help you.

Last edited by rkz53; 01-30-2013 at 07:41 PM. Reason: Additional info
Old 01-30-2013, 08:46 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,454

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Buck View Post
Would be interested in seeing more pictures of your project as well, if possible. Not sure the difference between the pole barn and the building I am looking at...I was told that the threaded rods would be installed when we poured our slab....The pole barn type may be a better option for me based one what I learn about it.

The pole barn type building is wood frame vs. metal framed. The pole barn that I did was 30x40 (most trusses are manufactured 30' so they are the most economical) with 12' eave height. On a metal building you pour the slab first and then erect the building per the previous post. On a pole barn the framework is put 3' in the ground, the posts are then anchored to each other with aircraft grade cable, and the slab is poured with the cables encased in the concrete. The building is all tied in with the slab by way of the posts. My building is wind certified at 120mph. My building cost was approximately $10,700 erected and I spent another $2000 on the concrete. The building price with the slab was about $15,900 so I saved about $3200 pouring the slab myself.

The addition that I put on the back of mine was very easy to do because I just went back to the place i bought it and bought 5 extra trusses from them for $100/per... Me, my dad, and my brother were able to install these trusses by ourself with not too much trouble. Then we just roofed it out with the metal to match the original building. Hope this helps!
Old 01-30-2013, 10:50 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 3,427

I put up 2 metal buildings its not very hard to do if you have any consteuction background.
Old 01-31-2013, 10:24 AM
Redfish

Cash: 778

consteuction?? WHAT DAT MEAN?
Old 01-31-2013, 02:05 PM
Ling

Cash: 3,542

I've helped errect several buildings over the years. The kit buildings are a lot easier, but you can get yourself in a bind if your not good with a ruler, reading directions, or don't know what plumb means!!!

My house is a 33'x42' metal building 12' eaves with a 25'x42' porch hanging off the back. Extremely energy effecient, but not too noise proof. I can hear cars drive past and I'm almost 800' off the road. I have the building insulated, a 8" air space before my stud wall, and the stud walls insulated (roof and ceiling as well). If I had to do it over, I would probably have the foam insulation sprayed in and a 4 on 12 pitch instead of the 2 on 12. Like everybody said... GO BIGGER!! I have my whole porch, a 12'x21' shed, and a 2 stall barn packed with crap! We are talking about adding on to the house, but I can't figure out the best way to do a hip joint into an existing metal roof that won't leak (any advise appreciated). I would post pics, but my landscapping sucks and as I said earlier, my porch is packed with crap!!
Old 01-31-2013, 03:05 PM
Sand Trout

Cash: 686

YOU NEED TO CHECK WITH BERGERONS METAL BUILDERS OUT OF SCOTT. I HAD A 40x50 WITH 16' EAVES BUILT BY THEM. PRICE IS HARD TO BEAT. (337)288-9067
Old 01-31-2013, 03:20 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 3,962

HI Guys.. I thinking about a 40WX60LX16h.. I want to finish out about 1400-1500 sq ft. for me to live in..

Anyone has this type I possible could see to give me a few ideas?? Also looking for a acre of land in the Abbeville, LA...

I want a mud, shower, freezer room combo.. Combo Living & Kitchen... And Nice master bedroom with Large bathroom.. Large 2-3 person Shower and tub combo for all them nights with the SINGLE Ladys?? If ya'll can FEEL Me..... LOl......Then a nice spare bedroom.. I'd want just stained concrete flrs, in Combo K & L rm.. Probably laminate in bedrooms??? Then unfinished shop for 24' triton and all my Stuff???

Thks,

Gunner
Old 02-01-2013, 12:26 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,807

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggun View Post
HI Guys.. I thinking about a 40WX60LX16h.. I want to finish out about 1400-1500 sq ft. for me to live in..

Anyone has this type I possible could see to give me a few ideas?? Also looking for a acre of land in the Abbeville, LA...

I want a mud, shower, freezer room combo.. Combo Living & Kitchen... And Nice master bedroom with Large bathroom.. Large 2-3 person Shower and tub combo for all them nights with the SINGLE Ladys?? If ya'll can FEEL Me..... LOl......Then a nice spare bedroom.. I'd want just stained concrete flrs, in Combo K & L rm.. Probably laminate in bedrooms??? Then unfinished shop for 24' triton and all my Stuff???

Thks,

Gunner
My house is the same size you want but 12'h... I did 40'x40' living and the additional 20' is a shop.. 2 bed/2 bath, W/ stained concrete floors everything is nice and roomy... Def advise on this
Old 02-01-2013, 12:46 AM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 2,192

When I built mine, I didnt consider the fact that I couldnt drive into my backyard because of the lack of gates and room........oops!! Now its just a place to hang out with friends
Old 02-01-2013, 09:46 AM
Ling

Cash: 1,584

My cousin has "All Metal" in Pumpkin Center..Lance is a good man. he can get you "kit" buildings but mainly specializes in the metal cut to order.
Old 02-01-2013, 11:16 AM
Sand Trout

Cash: 610
Default advice

I am very experienced with metal buildings and have made and seen many mistakes from friends and myself, just finished my second dream shop, first one a pole barn, lasted 18 years-posts rotted at ground- destroyed it and went bigger with an new one. ALL these guys are right, go big, insulate,put shelf loft now-junk will come, i was about to make a big mistake in my plans, had plans for two roll up doors to let air flow in, friend that priced my building recommended that each door is $900.00 just put one and spend $800.00 on big window unit- duhh. best change i made have 30x40 insulated with 25,000 btu w/heat-cool, works great! do not put fiber concrete flakes its whole life and is not smooth-seen many.I you can afford let the pros do it or buy a metal kit- do not use wood, go big now-will cost double for add ons later, hope this helps.
Old 02-01-2013, 11:58 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,454

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishsoldier View Post
I am very experienced with metal buildings and have made and seen many mistakes from friends and myself, just finished my second dream shop, first one a pole barn, lasted 18 years-posts rotted at ground- destroyed it and went bigger with an new one. ALL these guys are right, go big, insulate,put shelf loft now-junk will come, i was about to make a big mistake in my plans, had plans for two roll up doors to let air flow in, friend that priced my building recommended that each door is $900.00 just put one and spend $800.00 on big window unit- duhh. best change i made have 30x40 insulated with 25,000 btu w/heat-cool, works great! do not put fiber concrete flakes its whole life and is not smooth-seen many.I you can afford let the pros do it or buy a metal kit- do not use wood, go big now-will cost double for add ons later, hope this helps.
Just a note on this post... most of the pole barns built now use Post Protectors and skirt board protectors so that everything wooden that has contact with the ground is completely wrapped in plastic. My building is all made with treated lumber and has a 50 year warranty.

I've had my building for almost 5 years now and I still see a little of the fiber when I sweep up but it is considerably less than when it was first poured... I wouldnt be too concerned about the fiber concrete if you want a shop... if you want a living space with finished floors then I would avoid the fiber concrete.

You can see in the picture below what Im referring to... This picture was taken prior to me pouring the slab.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Barn.jpg (98.3 KB, 85 views)