SaltyCajun.com http://www.mkacpas.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 02-13-2014, 11:28 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: -747,400
Default Whooping cranes mean more than people.

LDWF is offering a $15,000 reward for the whooping crane shooting. The Jeff Davis 8 reward was only $35,000, for 8 brutally murdered people!!! Been sayin this crane project was a huge waste. I guess there's plenty of women, but we running out of whooping cranes. Idiots
Old 02-13-2014, 11:40 AM
Sailfish

Cash: 5,193

I wonder where thet gettin that 15k from? Sounds like a taxpayer funded reward to me. What a waste of our money if thats the case. Another fine example of government BS
Old 02-13-2014, 11:43 AM
Ling

Cash: 3,542

They really should have implemented the program in another state. Preferably one where the people don't see every animal as the start to a good gravy!
Old 02-13-2014, 11:51 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 460

Waste of money. A damn bird
Old 02-13-2014, 11:57 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,837

Huge waste of money.
Old 02-13-2014, 12:34 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 834

Outta go say I did it. Can't see the fine being more than $15k for shooting one!
Old 02-13-2014, 12:55 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Cash: 7,829

Freaken bird!!.. 15k for a bird

If they would not make a big whhhooo rhaaay about them im sure people would never notice them
Old 02-13-2014, 12:57 PM
Flounder

Cash: 566

Gotta agree with the fine, the whooping cane is an endangered bird. there are only approx 450 left in the world. Maybe the dumb asses that keep shooting them will finally learn a lesson,
Old 02-13-2014, 12:58 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Cash: 7,829

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulox86 View Post
Outta go say I did it. Can't see the fine being more than $15k for shooting one!
You crazy

They will give you life and take away your rights, make you a female, fine every one you know, burn your SS card, take your birthday away, use your prints on thr JFK murders, DNA you to OJ
Old 02-13-2014, 01:01 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 5,193

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenmore_mo1 View Post
Gotta agree with the fine, the whooping cane is an endangered bird. there are only approx 450 left in the world. Maybe the dumb asses that keep shooting them will finally learn a lesson,
449 now.
Old 02-13-2014, 01:03 PM
Redfish

Cash: 794

There are a lot more women on crack than there are whooping cranes. Whence the difference in the rewards!!!!!!!!
Old 02-13-2014, 01:45 PM
Ling

Cash: 2,271

Quote:
Originally Posted by "W" View Post
Freaken bird!!.. 15k for a bird

If they would not make a big whhhooo rhaaay about them im sure people would never notice them
couldn't agree more with this. I never knew they even came to this state, but ever since they been talking about them, I now look for them
Old 02-13-2014, 02:00 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 3,948

If ya'll think $15k is bad, don't go look at the budget on these birds. They ought to throw the same amount in the way of a fine at the bozzo that did this, or MORE!! That's not a cheap project.
Old 02-13-2014, 02:00 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,238

How much do you think one bird is costing? I'm sure the GPS tracking units that they use on the birds costs around the price of the reward. I think its a good idea, moneys already allocated to projects like these. I would rather see it spent in Louisiana than some goby in a creek in the middle of nowheres.
Old 02-13-2014, 02:16 PM
King Mackeral

Well, the first group was 10 birds, and the budget for the first year was $400,000, so that works out to about $40,000 a bird. Of course, the birds themselves didn't cost that, but if you want to divide it up that way, that's what you get.

If you look back in LDWF's archives, the reward was the same amount when the birds were killed last summer. Don't know why everyone is making such a big deal out of this now. If people had such a problem with it, why didn't the raise hell about it when the project was first starting?
Old 02-13-2014, 02:41 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 460

Trillions in debt and we blowin money on a crane.
Old 02-13-2014, 02:45 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: -747,400

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smalls View Post
Well, the first group was 10 birds, and the budget for the first year was $400,000, so that works out to about $40,000 a bird. Of course, the birds themselves didn't cost that, but if you want to divide it up that way, that's what you get.

If you look back in LDWF's archives, the reward was the same amount when the birds were killed last summer. Don't know why everyone is making such a big deal out of this now. If people had such a problem with it, why didn't the raise hell about it when the project was first starting?
I did, I said it was stupid then, and I'm sayin it's stupid now.
Old 02-13-2014, 03:03 PM
Flounder

Cash: 641

What Smalls didn't tell you that this is a 20 year project. So $400K x 20 years = HOLY CRAP!! Costs keep going up.

The other thing that Smalls didn't tell you is that the Louisiana population has been labeled as an Experimental population that is UNNECESSARY for the long term survival of the species by the USFWS. Most biologists give the project less than a 30% chance for success (none will share that on the record) and after the 20 years is up then there is no current plans to continue the project. I calculated conservatively that the cost per surviving bird in the LA population would be between $1-$2 million per bird.

Robbie aka Big Hutch
Old 02-13-2014, 03:49 PM
Ling

Cash: 3,167

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Hutch View Post
What Smalls didn't tell you that this is a 20 year project. So $400K x 20 years = HOLY CRAP!! Costs keep going up.

The other thing that Smalls didn't tell you is that the Louisiana population has been labeled as an Experimental population that is UNNECESSARY for the long term survival of the species by the USFWS. Most biologists give the project less than a 30% chance for success (none will share that on the record) and after the 20 years is up then there is no current plans to continue the project. I calculated conservatively that the cost per surviving bird in the LA population would be between $1-$2 million per bird.

Robbie aka Big Hutch
Still spreading completely false info I see

Please tell me where you derived $1-2 million per bird. The difference between 1-2 million is purty significant don't ya think (not what I would call 'calculating' more like guessing eh?). Me thinks your math is way off. I don't want you estimating for me if you are only coming within a million dollars per anything
And where in the world did you come up with these biologists that are giving a 30% chance for success? ('none that will share their name'). That's like W getting on here talking about how he heard there was a huge redfish kill behind the weirs yet the pics don't surface = no credibility

and the 20 year project? come on man all this is right there on the interwebz bro its a 15 year project

Dammit Smalls, spunt and topdwawg trolling again and we sure enough took the damn bait
Old 02-13-2014, 03:50 PM
King Mackeral

First off, according to LDWF's website, this is a 15 year project. Second, if we go by your math, they would $6 million. That means you are projecting only 3-6 birds to survive? It also states that they project needing to raise $3-4 million to fund a portion of the project. I would think conservatively, you are looking at $8 million. So by your math, that is only 4-8 birds surviving.

To date, they have done 4 releases , and this is the 3rd year of the project if I'm not mistaken. So, that means they have probably spent around $1.2 million to maybe $2 million. Currently, there are 21 adult birds and 10 juvenile birds in the population. So 31 birds, not counting the injured male. So by my math, to this point, you are probably looking at somewhere around $38k to $65k per bird at this point.

I didn't go in to all of those details because I didn't see it as pertinent to the current conversation. This thread was started in regards to the reward being offered.

I'm not saying its a good or bad use of money. Personally, I like whooping cranes. I think its a cool species, and maybe if they some how defy that 30% rate that everyone is sticking to them, maybe we can LEGALLY blast them one day. Doubt it, but who knows.

All I can say is, if you don't like it, call your congressman.