SaltyCajun.com http://www.gclendingservices.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hunting, Boating, and General Outdoor Talk > Hunting Discussion

Hunting Discussion Discuss anything related to hunting here!

Old 10-21-2009, 01:25 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 4,182

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamsfence View Post
Jordan i will do you hunt there alot we have been going since i was like 5 years old. I'll hit you up in a couple of weeks on them spots
Adam......Do you have much problem at Fort Polk with getting there and finding out everything is closed to hunting due to miltary activities?

I went there back ~ 2001 to get some information and do some scouting......and everything was closed to hunting. The Guy told me that everything had been closed all that week and would not say if he though any areas would be open that weeked for the scheduled opening of gun season.

Is this the normal situation now......or how much of the land is normally open for hunting?

Jordon.....can you comment of this.
Old 10-21-2009, 04:21 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 643

Wherever my boat can go at night..
Old 10-21-2009, 07:07 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 913

I hunt mostly on a lease in Bienville parish. I also hunt Thistlewaite and Sherburne. Gerald hit me up sometime when you want to go to Sherburne. We normally kill 3 or 4 deer out of one of my spots in Sherburne for the first either sex hunt and I am trying to put together a crew who likes to hunt. Hell you almost have to want to hunt to go the mile back in the swamp where we go. Its one hell of a drag to get one out thats why I bought a deer dolly.lol
Old 10-21-2009, 07:20 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 809

ST. Landry Parish in the Bayou Current area.
Old 10-21-2009, 08:27 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 1,002

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald View Post
Adam......Do you have much problem at Fort Polk with getting there and finding out everything is closed to hunting due to miltary activities?

I went there back ~ 2001 to get some information and do some scouting......and everything was closed to hunting. The Guy told me that everything had been closed all that week and would not say if he though any areas would be open that weeked for the scheduled opening of gun season.

Is this the normal situation now......or how much of the land is normally open for hunting?

Jordon.....can you comment of this.

GERALD

this can be a problem. alot of the people leave when this happens we have been going for so long that we always stay during thanksgiving...you don't ever know till like a week before. i have several spots that i hunt just in case where i scouted is closed....alot of times i just go into kisa****ie because of this. they don't close it and there are just as many deer... we have good luck there always kill deer just got to put in alittle time.

Last year we got there and everything was closed in Fort Polk. we had camp ground to our self. we had pick of the woods in kisatchie too..
don't think it opened up to much last year ought to be full of deer this year....Just steer clear of RED LEG thats my spot
Old 10-21-2009, 10:49 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 4,182

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamsfence View Post
GERALD

this can be a problem. alot of the people leave when this happens we have been going for so long that we always stay during thanksgiving...you don't ever know till like a week before. i have several spots that i hunt just in case where i scouted is closed....alot of times i just go into kisa****ie because of this. they don't close it and there are just as many deer... we have good luck there always kill deer just got to put in alittle time.

Last year we got there and everything was closed in Fort Polk. we had camp ground to our self. we had pick of the woods in kisatchie too..
don't think it opened up to much last year ought to be full of deer this year....Just steer clear of RED LEG thats my spot
The one time I went to the "Check-in" building, they told me that they did not know what would be open until they got the word each morning. And I think I was told that the building did not open until 6 AM......way too late to hunt early.

Another thing.....the map that they gave me was terrible. I could not even figure out how to get out of the Base area. I just had to drive around some and figure out which road would take me the direction I wanted to go. I wonder if I still have that map somewhere?

Campground……is this on the south side of Fort Polk?
Old 10-22-2009, 07:23 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 1,002

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald View Post
The one time I went to the "Check-in" building, they told me that they did not know what would be open until they got the word each morning. And I think I was told that the building did not open until 6 AM......way too late to hunt early.

Another thing.....the map that they gave me was terrible. I could not even figure out how to get out of the Base area. I just had to drive around some and figure out which road would take me the direction I wanted to go. I wonder if I still have that map somewhere?

Campground……is this on the south side of Fort Polk?
when we go at thanksgiving they have at least 3 to 4 days up..we go to the check in stations on the wma they have maps put up that show what is open.. you can go to the stores in pitkin and get a permit. these are good for all year. but you still have to check in..

as far as maps use the ones on wlf website they are easiest to read.

the campground there is several we use the one by fullerton when looking at the map off wlf. look at the right side of red leg and go all the way down to the bottom boundry. there is a check in station we camp there there is also a campground in fullerton on fullerton lake. alot of people camp there. that lake is full of fish. the check in station where we camp they put the maps up in there. it is confusing it took several years before i figured it out. as far as where everything was.

that place is weird you will be driving down some road or walking in the woods and you will just walk up on tombstones there is cemetaries all through there. when you have some time to just make a run pm me and if i'm free i'll come take a ride with you.