SaltyCajun.com http://www.jerrys-marine.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 06-16-2010, 10:33 AM
Great White

Cash: 1,217
Default L.d.w.f. Agents participate in search and rescue mission in allen parish

Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries Enforcement Division agents participated in a search and rescue mission on Sunday, June 13 in Allen Parish.

LDWF Sgt. Keith Aucoin and Senior Agents Steven Vidrine and Shawn Brewer, along with local agencies, responded to a 911 call reporting an injured canoeist on the Ousika ****to River at 2 p.m.

Barry Guidry, 44, of Lafayette was canoeing down the river and stopped to swing from a tree rope, severely injuring himself upon entering the water and striking a submerged object.

Around 3 p.m., Senior Agent Steven Vidrine and a local first responder from the fire department located Guidry approximately at the mid-way point along the nine-mile canoeing and tubing route.

Guidry was found lying in shallow water along the edge of a sandbar, surrounded by family members and other canoeists. Guidry was conscious and said he had no feeling in his body from his arms down.

Several other first responders arrived shortly thereafter and were able to stabilize Guidry on a backboard for transport via canoe to Allen Parish Ambulance Service paramedics.

Guidry was loaded onto an ambulance and transported to a nearby field where an Acadian Air Med helicopter was waiting. He was air lifted to Lafayette General Hospital, where he is presently in intensive care.

Other agencies assisting in the operation were the local Allen Parish Volunteer Fire Department, Allen Parish Ambulance Service, Allen Parish Fire and Rescue and Acadian Air Med.
Old 06-16-2010, 10:36 AM
Great White

Cash: 2,534

thats scary **** !!!
Old 06-16-2010, 10:48 AM
Great White

Cash: 2,738

Good friend of mine had the same thing happen. He jumped off a tall bank in whiskey ****to and hit something underwater. He is now paralyzed from the neck down.
Old 06-16-2010, 10:50 AM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 3,546

That happened to a kid when I was on a rafting trip once. I was walking in the water below him pulling my raft (full of aluminum, BTW) and the kid was in the tree. He asked me, "Do you think I should do it?" I replied, "I'm barely waste deep right where you're going to land so, I don't think so." I went on and he went for it. Airmed was landing on the sandbar 20 minutes later. Heard he lost feeling from the waste down.
Old 06-16-2010, 10:55 AM
Redfish

Cash: 606

That's why I don't jump or swing off any thing into the river or creek .. Know to many people that got killed or serious hurt
Old 06-16-2010, 10:56 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 700

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montauk17 View Post
Good friend of mine had the same thing happen. He jumped off a tall bank in whiskey ****to and hit something underwater. He is now paralyzed from the neck down.
I was very close to the same thing happening to me at the same river. I still have severe neck pains and vertebrae problems today from diving into a shallow spot when I was a kid.
Old 06-16-2010, 10:57 AM
Entering A World of Pain

Cash: 9,551

Quote:
That's why I don't jump or swing off any thing into the river or creek .. Know to many people that got killed or serious hurt
x2
The cops are the experts on the current criminal trends. If they have determined that a “high capacity” semiautomatic pistol and a .223 semiautomatic rifle with 30-round magazines are the best firearms for them to use to protect people like me and my family, they are obviously the best things for us to use to protect ourselves and our families .
Old 06-16-2010, 10:58 AM
Blue Marlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcglsu View Post
Exactly! A youngster that grew up across the street from one of my first houses spends his days in a wheel chair these days for the exact same situation. Really sad too. He was a heckuva motocrosser that had boo-koos of sponsors up until that faitful day. He does handle it well though, I have to say.
Old 06-16-2010, 11:45 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 715

well, I've made and jumped from rope swings since i was 6 years old and will continue to do it. Stupidity and ignorance of the area cause more of these accidents than anything else. It only takes a few minutes to check water depth and for submerged trees etc before you jump. Its sad to see so many people hurt trying to have fun though.
Old 06-16-2010, 11:51 AM
Great White

Cash: 1,902

I jump, and for ever will jump from stuff in the river. But i'm also aware of surroundings, sad he got hurt trying to have fun. Just built a "elevated" boat house, i'd say about 15 ft up, constantly doing flips/dives etc, but also going into 35 foot of water.
Old 06-16-2010, 12:13 PM
Ling

Cash: 1,338

my dad jumped in when he was 17 and broke his neck. luckily he didn't get paralyzed or even worse. God was watching out for hime
Old 06-17-2010, 12:36 PM
Ling

Cash: 1,391

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF_T_Warren View Post
my dad jumped in when he was 17 and broke his neck. luckily he didn't get paralyzed or even worse. God was watching out for hime
Mine wasn't so lucky. While at a party in Lake Arthur, he didn't dive shallow enough in waist deep water and killed him instantly. My brother was there and thought he had drowned and tried giving him CPR. I was stationed in Hawaii at the time of the incident, but my brother says that it still haunts him today. This was in '91.
Old 06-17-2010, 01:38 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 3,455

A guy i know was in the minors for baseball in Pensacola. He was a damn good pitcher. He pitched for UL. Went to dive into a pool and it was very shallow. Now he is paralyzed.
We used to jump out of trees into Thompson Creek in St Francisville when I was a kid. We have a hunting lease that butts up against it. We would get in the water first and look around for something that could harm us though. And the water was always over 10 feet wherever we jumped in at.
Old 06-17-2010, 01:46 PM
Ling

Cash: 2,271

had 2 friends brake ankles over there and one friend broke her back.
Old 06-17-2010, 01:50 PM
The Camp Cook....

Cash: 13,832

Quote:
Originally Posted by specktator View Post
A guy i know was in the minors for baseball in Pensacola. He was a damn good pitcher. He pitched for UL. Went to dive into a pool and it was very shallow. Now he is paralyzed.
We used to jump out of trees into Thompson Creek in St Francisville when I was a kid. We have a hunting lease that butts up against it. We would get in the water first and look around for something that could harm us though. And the water was always over 10 feet wherever we jumped in at.
I spent a lot of time on that creek also. My aunt and uncle lived in Jackson and the creek ran through their property.
Old 06-17-2010, 02:06 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 3,455

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluechip View Post
I spent a lot of time on that creek also. My aunt and uncle lived in Jackson and the creek ran through their property.
Beautiful place!
Old 06-17-2010, 03:26 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 1,002

i have searched for 2 right in front of my old camp on whiskey ****to both were found dead......they have some crazy drunks come down that river and don't relize that that water is flowing fast and will kill you don't ever know what is under dirty water. but on a lighter note the drunk women that like to sunbathe with there tops off are nice though
Old 06-17-2010, 03:38 PM
Ling

Cash: 4,851

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamsfence View Post
i have searched for 2 right in front of my old camp on whiskey ****to both were found dead......they have some crazy drunks come down that river and don't relize that that water is flowing fast and will kill you don't ever know what is under dirty water. but on a lighter note the drunk women that like to sunbathe with there tops off are nice though
so when we going to the camp? im down for some nice scenary.
Old 06-17-2010, 03:44 PM
Blue Marlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn Braquet View Post
so when we going to the camp? im down for some nice scenary.
X2!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-17-2010, 03:46 PM
Ling

Cash: 4,851

someone may need cpr and i'll be to the rescue assuming the victim is topless and HOT