SaltyCajun.com http://www.stickemrods.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hunting, Boating, and General Outdoor Talk > Hunting Discussion

Hunting Discussion Discuss anything related to hunting here!

Old 06-25-2010, 07:37 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 629
Default More retriever help

Because of the help on previous threads I would also like to ask a question... Or a couple... 1.) what is the easiest way to train a dog to "load up" 2.) I have my dog retrieving quite well even with doubles... But now she is starting to loose the sit and stay training... She is eight months old... Is this normal? And 3.) how soon is too soon for a dogs first hunt
Old 06-25-2010, 09:04 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 1,334

Use the "handles" on either side of the head while giving the "load" command.
"doubles" my guess is you are throwing two bumpers from your side? That is backyard play not real doubles. To develop marking skills, dogs have to see an object fall at a distance. Hence the word "mark" teaches the dog to develop depth perception at distances far and near.
Sit, this the only command you should use. Don't clutter your training with a broad vocabulary, sit means sit!
I will not hunt a dog or let a client hunt his dog until I am through the basic training program. That might be at 1yo or longer but, the dog will have the skills to be successful when they do hunt.
David Uriadies lives in Kinder and knows what he is doing if he still trains he may help you out.
Regards,
Raymond
Old 06-25-2010, 09:44 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 629

K thanks Raymond I'll check him out
Old 08-06-2010, 11:58 AM
Redfish

Cash: 689

Say hoss you need to let me know next time you come to the stick. We'll take lady and your dog out, I'll show you a few things.
Old 08-06-2010, 08:58 PM
Great White

Cash: 1,217

When my last dog was a pup, I used cheese to get his pills down. He loved cheese.
So to make him climb up the steps, I put a small piece of cheese on each step.
Then I put some in front of him so he could smell it, then threw it on the tail gate.
After 2 or 3 times, I never had to use it again.
He loved riding in the back of the truck. Everytime I had the tailgate down, he was
in the bed.
Every time you put the tail gate down, say "load up" and every time you want him
to get in the boat, say "load up". It will come in handy one day.

Every time you let him out, make him sit, heel, then let him go do his duties.
You have to keep the obedience in him or it will come back to haunt you.

I trained 2 females myself, then I got a male and had a lot of trouble with him.
I sent him to David U. in Kinder, that guy has a lot of patience. He does a good
job with stubborn dogs. But he never lets the dog do what the dog wants. He
is the one who trained me to train the dog by making him do the stuff he don't
want to do before letting him do what he wants to do. If he don't do what you
want him to do, he goes back in the kennel.
Old 08-06-2010, 09:05 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 887

I used the word....kennel,,,I had bird dogs, every time I would put them in the kennel I would say kennel...everytime I loaded them in the truck in their crates, I used the command kennel....it didn't take long before they knew what it meant.....I could be in the woods, and all I had to say was kennel and my dogs would go to the truck and when I got there they where in their crates waiting.
Old 08-08-2010, 11:49 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,090

I would get my old lab excited then I would jump in the bed of the truck, commanding "kennel". He would jump in the bed with me. After playing this game a few times, I commanded "kennel", and faked jumping in. I can still remember the look on his face when I didn't jump, and he was sitting on the tailgate. He pretty much had it from then on.
Old 08-09-2010, 05:31 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,618

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wag View Post
I used the word....kennel,,,I had bird dogs, every time I would put them in the kennel I would say kennel...everytime I loaded them in the truck in their crates, I used the command kennel....it didn't take long before they knew what it meant.....I could be in the woods, and all I had to say was kennel and my dogs would go to the truck and when I got there they where in their crates waiting.

X 2, very simple, no confusion, trained my dog the same way
Old 08-09-2010, 01:12 PM
Ling

Cash: 2,086

Forming habits is important.
My lab is 8 months old. She is extremely obedient.
She sits & heels 1 time everytime.
Also she is trained to retrieve on "snap"... I was a deepsnapper in college.
U can say any word and she won't budge...
Recently she go a Lil wild with her mallard decoy... Shaking and bitting it like crazy on the retrieve and wouldn't "drop" when she got bk.
Soooo I started makin her "drop" everything she picked up if she didn't "drop" i would look away and ignore her.
It worked and now she drops it at my feet.
Also she had a fear of stair & jumping up on the tailgate.
Sooo I threw the decoy up there and she got over her fears fast.
Dogs r smart students... We just gotta b smart teachers
Old 08-09-2010, 01:33 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 3,455

I use "load up" to get them in the truck. when we first started doing it i would just slap the tailgate a few times and command "load up" and he would jump in. Some dogs are tougher than others but i never had much of a problem getting mine to load up. I use "kennel" to get him to go in his kennel or to get in his dog box in the back of my truck. I only use a box if i have a bunch of gear in the bed, or more than one dog travelling with me.

Natural Light Kid's tactic sounds like a pretty good one to try.

I dont think there is ever too young an age to start bringing your dog hunting. As long as I have been hunting, whoever has the new pup just brings him along no matter how old he/she is whenever hunting season comes around. just let him sit and watch the veteran dog work. i think that is better training for your pup than anything, letting it watch another dog work.
Old 08-09-2010, 02:06 PM
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by specktator View Post
I use "load up" to get them in the truck. when we first started doing it i would just slap the tailgate a few times and command "load up" and he would jump in. Some dogs are tougher than others but i never had much of a problem getting mine to load up. I use "kennel" to get him to go in his kennel or to get in his dog box in the back of my truck. I only use a box if i have a bunch of gear in the bed, or more than one dog travelling with me.

Natural Light Kid's tactic sounds like a pretty good one to try.

I dont think there is ever too young an age to start bringing your dog hunting. As long as I have been hunting, whoever has the new pup just brings him along no matter how old he/she is whenever hunting season comes around. just let him sit and watch the veteran dog work. i think that is better training for your pup than anything, letting it watch another dog work.

Dogs don't think like that. They would have to use cognitive thinking skills in order for them to learn by watching other dogs preform.

Repetition is how dogs are trained to repeat training formats. Perfect Practice Makes it Perfect. Some can accomplish this and some can't, the ones that get it see the pictures built during training better and can remember them. High maintenance dogs have to maintain training or their skills will deteriate quite rapidly.

There are so many "Wives Tales" about dogs and training out there with no reality to them. The new trainers have improved methods and dogs by light years and I liken it to the computer advances seen in our life time(I am 44).

I'll shut up now
Old 08-09-2010, 03:11 PM
Swordfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
[/COLOR]

Dogs don't think like that. They would have to use cognitive thinking skills in order for them to learn by watching other dogs preform.

Repetition is how dogs are trained to repeat training formats. Perfect Practice Makes it Perfect. Some can accomplish this and some can't, the ones that get it see the pictures built during training better and can remember them. High maintenance dogs have to maintain training or their skills will deteriate quite rapidly.

There are so many "Wives Tales" about dogs and training out there with no reality to them. The new trainers have improved methods and dogs by light years and I liken it to the computer advances seen in our life time(I am 44).

I'll shut up now
Well that's the way we have been doing it for years. I dont quite understand why you think a dog could not learn by watching another dog. I think it works. But hey, you are obviously the SC expert on dog training. Maybe he should just PM you from now on with any retriever questions, instead of asking for "opinions."
Old 08-09-2010, 04:25 PM
Redfish

I 2nd the comment about nothing coming from watching another dog work. I've helped a few friends with their dogs and the only time I've seen another dog benefit was when I had a buddy have a dog that wouldn't retrieve at all. After having his and my dog interact while I ran drills his dog finally picked up on the game.

That is the only scenario I can think of that it would actually work. Commands like that wont work in group sessions, it takes some one on one time with your dog to get em to those tasks.
Old 08-09-2010, 04:38 PM
Swordfish

I'm not telling him just to bring his dog hunting and watch other dogs and do no other training with him what so ever. All I'm saying is that it is never too early to bring your pup along. It won't hurt for him to see what it's all about even if he doesn't pick up one bird.
Old 08-09-2010, 04:51 PM
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by specktator View Post
Well that's the way we have been doing it for years. I dont quite understand why you think a dog could not learn by watching another dog. I think it works. But hey, you are obviously the SC expert on dog training. Maybe he should just PM you from now on with any retriever questions, instead of asking for "opinions."
Don't get up tight man, "Opinion" by definition is a general term and not based on a proven theory. Everyone has opinions some good some bad but to use the analogy that it has been done for years and you think it works is not sound advise. Just because you don't get a ticket for speeding does not mean it is sound advise to say everyone should speed.

Not an expert on dogs, everyone I have trained has taught me something.
There are no "Generic" dogs and "Misinformation" about them and how to train them abounds, especially in South La. Modern training methods have been formulated over many years by guys way smarter than me, I just choose to buy into them because of their success playing the "Game". No, I no longer play the game but train as though each dog is.

There is a difference in a well trained dog, have plenty of clients in Lafayette for referrals if you are interested. They will gladly show you the end product and you can judge for yourself.

Regards,

Raymond
Old 08-09-2010, 05:33 PM
Redfish

I thought we were still on the load up project. There is nothing wrong with bringing your pup along. I brought mine out with me at 8 months with only 3 months of training. I'm not knockin anything you've said, just telling what I've done and seen. No need to get your panties in a wad.
Old 08-09-2010, 06:39 PM
Swordfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoggyRedNeck View Post
I thought we were still on the load up project.
Weren't u the one that said "I second Raymond's comment about a pup not learning from a veteran?" so u guys are the ones going off subject.
Old 08-09-2010, 06:52 PM
Redfish

Meh your prolly right. I was simply saying that a dog that won't load up isn't gonna learn just from watching a dog that will. IMHO
Old 08-09-2010, 07:38 PM
Swordfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoggyRedNeck View Post
Meh your prolly right. I was simply saying that a dog that won't load up isn't gonna learn just from watching a dog that will. IMHO
Hahahaha that wasn't even what I was saying. I don't think your dog will load up by watching another. He also asked how old u think your dog has to be to bring him hunting. I said never too young. He could just tag along and watch the veteran dog work. Let the pup see what it's all about even if he/she isn't ready yet.
Old 08-09-2010, 08:00 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,063

100% correct Spectator. Been through 4 dogs and all learned from an older dog. U need to try and do this when the dogs are around 4, 5, months. makes training them in the backyard make since.