SaltyCajun.com http://louisianaofficesystems.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hunting, Boating, and General Outdoor Talk > Hunting Discussion

Hunting Discussion Discuss anything related to hunting here!

Old 11-26-2013, 11:31 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,007
Default Dog vest or not?

Opinions on dog vest during cold conditions?
Beneficial or not?
If so should i get the one with flotation or no flotation?
Old 11-26-2013, 12:03 PM
Calcasieu Extreme Rods

Cash: 13,333

I think it is beneficial. I think the flotation depends on how deep the pond you hunt.
Old 11-26-2013, 03:15 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,439

your dog will be a whole lot more comfortable with one in the cold water and just cold weather in general. Just make sure that you put it on your dog at your house an make sure it's not rubbing on the insides of your dogs legs. Trim it to fit once you get it trimed right throw him a dumby a few times to get your dog use to runing with it on. It's a good investment for your four leged hunting partner.
Old 11-26-2013, 03:37 PM
Sand Trout

Cash: 515

Hunted for years my boy 'Jett' 'black lab' in Arkansas. only when there was a possibility for ice I used for protection. Obviously too much ice, he didn't get to hunt. However I wouldn't use it unless its like Canada cold. Like the earlier post, older dogs can benefit in deep water, but I feel most dogs don't like it, hinders mobility.
Old 11-26-2013, 04:08 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: -747,400

It helps keep them warm but only of it is trimmed and tailored to
fit snug. You're tryin to combat the flushing of cold raw water in and out of the vest.
Old 11-26-2013, 05:57 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 2,156

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojorizn View Post
Hunted for years my boy 'Jett' 'black lab' in Arkansas. only when there was a possibility for ice I used for protection. Obviously too much ice, he didn't get to hunt. However I wouldn't use it unless its like Canada cold. Like the earlier post, older dogs can benefit in deep water, but I feel most dogs don't like it, hinders mobility.
Sent 2 years working in Alberta,Canada and used to trek through the Airports with ol "Boudreaux"- my cocolate lab. Never used the outter insulated coat there, and there were times when ice was hanging off his tail. Used to throw dummies in the Bow River when it was iced up. Probably would have helped. Poor thing died of heat exhaustion while chasing rabbits in SW Louisiana in the Summer. I was kind of to blame to let him loose, but he loved chasing (and catching)rabbits more than ducks.
Old 11-26-2013, 06:17 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 4,393

Like everyone else said your dog will appreciate it when it's 28 degrees Thursday. I have a camo one so unlike to think it helps keep her concealed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
Old 11-26-2013, 06:24 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,917

If you have a chocolate or black lab it def helps conceal the dog...any good brands to look for?? I seen they had 2 different types at Cajun Tackle...may pick one up for the weekend.
Old 11-26-2013, 06:29 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 3,935

If you hunt your dog every day yes I would have one on him when it gets in the mid 30's and lower. Both of mine will be in the house tonight too
Old 11-26-2013, 07:03 PM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdub View Post
If you have a chocolate or black lab it def helps conceal the dog...any good brands to look for?? I seen they had 2 different types at Cajun Tackle...may pick one up for the weekend.
I been having an Avery for 3 years it's held up well.

Old 11-26-2013, 07:11 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 5,596

Mine hates his. I've trimmed it and he still hates it. He just lays down and rolls around trying to get it off. I throw bumpers he starts running for the bumper and then stops and starts rolling. I've tried keeping it on him for a few hrs at the house but it's always the same outcome. Any tips?

"Go ahead, share your opinion! I won't cry"
Old 11-26-2013, 09:08 PM
Red Snapper

It's always best to ease them into wearing one instead of just putting one on a 2 year old dog for the first time and send him out hunting. Try putting it on him around the house until he finally just accepts wearing it. Try feeding him with it on. Then try throwing fun/happy bumpers with it. Try anything to get him used to having it on. Also, if it's not trimmed right, it can chaff and rub their armpit area really bad. And a male can have trouble with his yonk rubbing the bottom of the vest also.
Old 11-26-2013, 09:40 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,044

I always put one on mine when it's in the mid 30s. He doesn't seem to mind it so I guess I'm lucky. Like sprunt said, it will leave a nasty rash if it don't fit properly.
Old 11-27-2013, 08:36 AM
Redfish

Cash: 861

I don't have a dog now, but never used a vest over the years. with my labs. One question I have is - Does the vest retain water or trap water between it and the dog? I guess I always thought it could make a dog even more cold by staying wet when they usually shake and lick themselves dry pretty quick. I don't know the answer - just wondering since that was always a question I had.
Old 11-27-2013, 09:14 AM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbarian View Post
I don't have a dog now, but never used a vest over the years. with my labs. One question I have is - Does the vest retain water or trap water between it and the dog? I guess I always thought it could make a dog even more cold by staying wet when they usually shake and lick themselves dry pretty quick. I don't know the answer - just wondering since that was always a question I had.
It's suppose to retain their body heat. When I get home and pull the vest off her head and legs will still be wet. But where the vest was she's dry.

Old 11-27-2013, 10:06 AM
Red Snapper

It works like wetsuit and uses body heat to warm up the wet neoprene and keep it close to the body. But just like the tightest wetsuits are the warmest wetsuits, the tightest vests are the warmest vests.
Old 12-01-2013, 08:25 AM
Sand Trout

Cash: 602

Wouldn't let my dog hunt without it. Not only does it protect her from sticks etc. also protects from wind chill as well.
Old 12-01-2013, 09:43 AM
Sand Trout

Cash: 581

I beleive if he could talk he'd tell you (1) he hates it (2) he does not need it (3) it just ain't cool!
In my younger days I used to quail hunt with my dawg named Chale and if it was too cold he just would not hunt. We put a youth sweater on him and he'd go to hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgizzle View Post
Mine hates his. I've trimmed it and he still hates it. He just lays down and rolls around trying to get it off. I throw bumpers he starts running for the bumper and then stops and starts rolling. I've tried keeping it on him for a few hrs at the house but it's always the same outcome. Any tips?

"Go ahead, share your opinion! I won't cry"